Bit of a Blog : Rhapsody : B2B : Singapore - Dubai - Istanbul : May 3rd 2015

E

Now enjoying reading your blog from the beginning, Linda. I tried while onboard but it took too long for the pictures to appear. Enjoy the second half of your cruise

Gosh Sue what a time we had eh? Thanks for everything!! x

You know that feeling of concentrating on something and thinking you've seen something out of the corner of your eye? A large bird just flew by.... white I think... and earlier on my walk this morning there was a butterfly / moth at the stern on deck 10 and then another (?) right up forward.... stowaways?

Progressive Trivia this morning.... not too bad... 44 and huîtres amongst my contributions. Failed on the year Dirty Dancing was released....

Caught a nap in the Solarium. Lunched in WJ. So engrossed in my book I missed the dolphins :(

Our passports are being returned. Upper decks today, lower decks tomorrow. They will contain a landing card. Immigration will be ashore in Ashdod on Tuesday. There is concern amongst some about having Israeli stamps in their passports. Mine is loaded with them already. Wonder how that will go down in Turkey.......

Today's Compass

DAY 6 RH Cruise Compass, At Sea, May 22.indd.pdf

It is to my chagrin that I didn't take a better image of the Cathedral across the road : Se Cathedral, dedicated to St Catherine, is the largest church in India.

DSCN3723.jpg

DSCN3756.jpg

DSCN3741.jpg

DSCN3742.jpg

DSCN3743.jpg

DSCN3744.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

We are driven to town and whilst the walk to the market was only 10 minutes the heat was stifling. I take pictures along the walk to remind myself of the route for the return.

DSCN3802.jpg

DSCN3811.jpg

From the outside you cannot tell how large the interior is

DSCN3803.jpg

DSCN3804.jpg

DSCN3805.jpg

DSCN3806.jpg

I am determined to visit a fish market having been unable to visit the one yesterday.

It's not looking good

DSCN3807.jpg

I find it but it's way too crowded for me to navigate

DSCN3808.jpg

DSCN3809.jpg

We head back to the ship (I've been into the local Govt approved shop and purchased nothing)

DSCN3815.jpg

DSCN3819.jpg

I have been after this shot all day and I still failed..... EVERYWHERE is Vodafone signage....

DSCN3825.jpg

I wanted to catch this lady's saree.... it had such vivid colours

DSCN3838.jpg

You can't enter the port unless you are a registered tour operator.... people who have taken taxis have to hitch a ride from the port gates to the ship. This guest is on crutches....

DSCN3842.jpg

I have many more pics from Goa but have pared them down. Was an absolutely amazing tour.

Will get on with uploading Mumbai.....

Why I shouldn't post when tired..... wanted to get to the theatre for a film...

Here's that image

DSCN3836.jpg

We are still under Safe Haven rules though our speed is very tame compared to what it was..... 16.4kts..... I think it ends tonight.... was wrong earlier....

Uploading from my room worked for a bit but isn't now....

Gosh Sue what a time we had eh? Thanks for everything!! x

We certainly did☺

This was one of our best cruises and definitely the most friendly ever. What memories your photos are bringing back! The only thing they fail to show is just how very hot and humid it was.

From a friend, in my words: Unable to sleep I turned on the TV to see the ship pic.... there was a very bright light heading towards the ship..... turned to the location channel and we had slowed right down to 7kts. Headed up on deck.... a boat had pulled up alongside and I saw large black bags being transferred off the ship. There were 2 people on the deck of that boat that had no markings..... I didn't actually see people get off but when it pulled away there were 4.

----

I have my passport back.

2 stamps from India on facing page to Visa, arrival & departure; 2 stamps from UAE entry & exit; 2 stamps in Arabic origin not known on say 'Valid less than 48 hours and another says valid for 30 days stay from arrival; 2 stamps from Oman, Sultan Qaboos port entry & exit; 2 from Salalah, entry and exit.

There is also a Visit Permit for Israel valid for 3 days from entry from the Israeli Population and Immigration Authority.

---------------

Someone asked earlier about the 'library'. Definitely bring your own. I have finished the books I brought with and the choice there currently is dire.....

Here's today's Compass

DAY 7 RH Cruise Compass, At Sea, May 23.indd.pdf

Edited by NorbertsNiece

We have had one of these for each port in India

DSCN3860.jpg

DSCN3861a.jpg

I have made a wonderful friend in Laura the past cruise and this. She posted these words on Mumbai and they say everything I would about our day (there is no way to describe how humid and hot the brilliant day was) :

What a wonderful day in Mumbai!!!! Three cheers to Mumbai Magic for partnering with Akanksha Founation, a non profit that works in children's education and hires and trains young people between 16-20 to become guides and help finance their college education. This was one of the BEST tours I've been on and all run by our 20 year old guide and two trainees. This tour was part of an ongoing mentorship program helping some pretty amazing students. The day started with a walk through Mumbai and seeing all of the highlights including the gate, the Taj hotel, the college, Ghandi's house, Prince of Wales Museum, Dhoby Ghat (laundry for Mumbai) and UNESCO World Heritage site the Queen Victoria train station. Along the way we managed to accomplish this with authentic transportation including taxis, buses, and trains. We were also treated to some local dishes at a restaurant called Swati. Our guide chose the dishes for us and they were fabulous!!! I left Mumbai having had one of the best tour experiences of my life and having been part of helping these young, intelligent, self starters towards a better life. Doesn't get better than this!!

Our wonderful guide

DSCN3865.jpg

One of his lovely friends

DSCN3867.jpg

DSCN3869.jpg

There are no tuk-tuks in Mumbai

DSCN3870.jpg

I've just spotted the duplicated pic from earlier..... sorry...... the terminal in Mumbai is too far from the ship for the gangway to reach.... we end up disembarking from a lower deck

DSCN3850.jpg

I finally updated the laptop yesterday; I'd been putting it off..... working so much better today..... d'oh

I hate the way the Art Auctioneer has to come over on all the loudspeakers..... that should be the prerogative of the Captain only. I don't even object to Katie with her 'Bingo! Bingo! Bingo!' But the other day I couldn't sit here in the nice and sometimes quiet D lounge as 'Ty' was next door rattling on. And I know his name. Why do I know his name? Because he yells it each announcement.

/rant over

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Mumbai Police HQ

DSCN3886.jpg

DSCN3888.jpg

We have to cross this thoroughfare...... it reminds me of Hyde Park Corner or L'etoile in Paris..... there's a knack to stepping boldly out with your arm raised at right angles to your shoulder and with palm flattened towards oncoming traffic then keep going regardless.

DSCN3887.jpg

DSCN3893.jpg

The museum grounds

DSCN3889.jpg

DSCN3890.jpg

Trees with painted trunks are protected. Fine for chopping them down : death.

DSCN3891.jpg

The Art Deco cinema, The Regal; the first film to be shown here was the Laurel and Hardy movie The Devil's Brother in 1933.

DSCN3892.jpg

Elphinstone College, part of Mumbai University, named for the departing Governor

DSCN3894.jpg

DSCN3895.jpg

David Sassoon (1792 – 1864) was the treasurer of Baghdad between 1817 and 1829. He became the leader of the Jewish community in Bombay (now Mumbai) after Baghdadi Jews emigrated there following persecution. He was a leading trader of cotton and opium in China.

DSCN3897.jpg

DSCN3898.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

DSCN3899.jpg

DSCN3900.jpg

Watson's Hotel, India's oldest surviving cast iron building. Now long past its former glory. The story goes that an invitation only event was to take place at the magnificent hotel it was then and Indian industrialist Jamsetji Tata received an invite. There was a sign that said 'No Indians or dogs' and he was ejected. He went on to build the magnificent Taj Hotel on the waterfront.

DSCN3901.jpg

You're never far from a cow in Mumbai it seems

DSCN3902.jpg

The University central buildings

DSCN3903.jpg

DSCN3904.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece