Las Caletas question

rstunger

We will be cruising to Mexico in November 2015, and thinking about the Las Caletas beach hideaway excursion. Does anyone know if this is a safe port (Puerto Vallarta)and excursion to take our 8 year old children.

There have been ports that we've left them on the ship, if it's questionsble safety.

We stay in Vallarta various month each winter and I can assure you Puerto Vallarta is absolutely safe.

Besides the excursion you are talking about leaves at a dock at the same cruise terminal. Just a short walk to the Vallarta Adventures ship.

You and the kids will have a wonderful time!

PS If you use the search function you will see many persons enjoyed it too.

Edited by Ine

We will lend some support to our amigo, Ine :). Puerto Vallarta and Las Caletas are located on the Bay of Bandaras where more then 60,000 Americans and Canadians either live or visit each year. Puerto Vallarta is one of the few cities where both DW and I feel safe walking around anytime day or night (and we are often walking back home from restaurants late at night).

As to Las Caletas, it is an isolated site (immaculately maintained) leased by a private company and is about as safe a place as you could find anywhere in the world. We will not get into the political discussions or overblown hype often found on the internet of in the papers. But currently, we have plans to return to our winter home in PV this coming and hopefully for many years in the future. In fact, after wintering in PV (for at least 2 months) for the past 10 years we are currently trying to negotiate to get our condo an additional 2 weeks a year....because 2 months is just not long enough.

Hank

P.S. Ine, we hope you make it to our Super Bowl party this year :)

Edited by Hlitner

P

S. Ine, we hope you make it to our Super Bowl party this year :)

If you promiss it will not rain that hard next winter, yes we will certainly come and have some Margaritas!

If you promiss it will not rain that hard next winter, yes we will certainly come and have some Margaritas!

Ahh. But Ine, we both know it never rains in PV during Jan-Feb :).

Hank:D

• 3 weeks later...
We will be cruising to Mexico in November 2015, and thinking about the Las Caletas beach hideaway excursion. Does anyone know if this is a safe port (Puerto Vallarta)and excursion to take our 8 year old children.

There have been ports that we've left them on the ship, if it's questionsble safety.

Las Caletas is a must, and very safe! Your kids are at the PERFECT age! Make sure to sign them up for the kids activity while You're on the boat heading to Las

Caletas. They'll have a BLAST!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just looking at pictures of Las Caletas and one thing I noticed was that there are no umbrellas to sit under. I could not hang in the Sun all day without one. Do they provide them or could I rent one? If not, I would have to bring a small one (the kind that you can attach to a beach chair). This is really important to me so I would appreciate knowing about this. Thanks for any responses.

I don't specifically recall umbrellas but our chairs were definitely in the shade.

Thank you. I think I'll bring my own little clip-on umbrella with me just to be sure I can stay out of the Sun if I need to.

I read one review about Las Caletas where someone said that the beach there was crowded and that chairs were hard to find. We'll be there a day before Christmas Eve on Carnival Miracle. How crowded do you think Las Caletas will be then? And, do you think we'd have a hard time finding chairs?

Thank you. I think I'll bring my own little clip-on umbrella with me just to be sure I can stay out of the Sun if I need to.

I read one review about Las Caletas where someone said that the beach there was crowded and that chairs were hard to find. We'll be there a day before Christmas Eve on Carnival Miracle. How crowded do you think Las Caletas will be then? And, do you think we'd have a hard time finding chairs?

Not true in the least. We went during Spring Break, and kept saying, "where is everyone?" The whole time on the Island.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there 2 weeks ago and the little beach where all the water sports activities are taking place does get a little crowded. But note, that Caletas is spread out. It's a private resort. So from the pier to the main beach area, there are lots of little inlets to sit, lie down (on hammocks) and relax, and inland areas to get a drink which are also in the shade. Most of the people were in the water and it seemed like the chairs right in front were just being held and not occupied. If there are no chairs, perhaps ask. The people working there were so gracious and helpful, that I'm sure you'll have no problems and they may even put some more out if you ask

Not true in the least. We went during Spring Break, and kept saying, "where is everyone?" The whole time on the Island.

Spring break is all over the map. Spring break in Santa Barbara is not likely in the same week as spring break in Vancouver. In fact, my nieces and nephews live in three different cities all in BC, we have two week spring breaks in two of those cities and we still cannot coordinate all the kids off for all the same time. So i think the hordes are spread out thinner!

Spring break is all over the map. Spring break in Santa Barbara is not likely in the same week as spring break in Vancouver. In fact, my nieces and nephews live in three different cities all in BC, we have two week spring breaks in two of those cities and we still cannot coordinate all the kids off for all the same time. So i think the hordes are spread out thinner!

I don't think I would compare a city like Santa Barbara or Vancouver to Las Caletas. Those cities are high volume tourist attractions, that are free to visit.

Las Caletas costs about $100 per person, you must charter a boat to get there, and it is capacity controlled.

I don't think you will ever go to Las Caletas and feel overwhelmed with crowds. (Like I did in Stanley Park last year LOL)

Since it's a private resort which can only be reached by boat and there are only so many boats that dock there, it shouldn't get too crowded. Definitely no, city type crowds. I think Carnival contracts this to Vallarta Adventures and we only saw 2 boats of around 50+/- people dock while we were there. Does anyone know if Carnival has exclusivity or do other cruise lines also go there ?

The resort is spread out but the main beach area is somewhat smaller. Most people seem to hang out in and around where they manage the water sports. But even so, groups are heading to a different area to snorkle, attend the sea lion tour, head to the kids adventure park, so it's managed quite well. It didn't feel crowded at all.

The only slight criticism I have is that the excursion seems way too short i.e too long to get going (10:45-11:00 by the time we left the marina and 45 min to get there, plus another 30 min for side excursions, and leaving around 3:30 to get back. So not a lot of time. But I would go back. Wonderful place

Edited by richfei

The only slight criticism I have is that the excursion seems way too short i.e too long to get going (10:45-11:00 by the time we left the marina and 45 min to get there, plus another 30 min for side excursions, and leaving around 3:30 to get back. So not a lot of time. But I would go back. Wonderful place

EXACTLY our only criticism as well!!