Ensenada Question

meh56

Can someone who has been to Ensenada recently tell me if you buy antibiotics at the local pharmacy is there any problem in taking them thru security and on board the ship? We are traveling with friends and they want to buy them but I told her I was not sure about boarding the ship and going thru the security at the Ensenada pier.

Can someone who has been to Ensenada recently tell me if you buy antibiotics at the local pharmacy is there any problem in taking them thru security and on board the ship? We are traveling with friends and they want to buy them but I told her I was not sure about boarding the ship and going thru the security at the Ensenada pier.

I'm surprised you haven't had any responses to your questions yet but I'll tell you what I know from experience and from what I've heard.

1.) And most important. Be very careful when purchasing prescription medications overseas. You really have no guarantee that what you are purchasing is the real deal. Having said that, I have purchased one prescription while in port in Cozumel. I had a prescription for it from my doctor and I had NO issues bringing it on board or through customs. However, once on board... I put the pills I purchased in my pill bottle I had from the states.

2.) And most important. Be very careful when purchasing prescription medications overseas. ;)

I'm surprised you haven't had any responses to your questions yet but I'll tell you what I know from experience and from what I've heard.

1.) And most important. Be very careful when purchasing prescription medications overseas. You really have no guarantee that what you are purchasing is the real deal. Having said that, I have purchased one prescription while in port in Cozumel. I had a prescription for it from my doctor and I had NO issues bringing it on board or through customs. However, once on board... I put the pills I purchased in my pill bottle I had from the states.

2.) And most important. Be very careful when purchasing prescription medications overseas. ;)

Good to know about Coz. What was your experience in Ensenada?

What you buy in Mexico might not be the same as what sold in the US .Mexico has a lot of fake drugs sold in pharmacies . Some fakes are down right dangerous because of the chemicals they mix with the antibiotic.

There is not a lot of fake drugs at a Mexican pharmacy. It is, after all, where 122 million Mexicans get their prescriptions filled. The names of the drugs may be different, but not fake.

Good to know about Coz. What was your experience in Ensenada?

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific.. the prescription I filled was in Cozumel. I have not done so in Ensenada but I was primarily letting you know what my experience was with getting the prescription on board and through customs.

I agree with the other post that not all prescriptions are fake. I do however still stick by my suggestion of being very careful. There is a difference (and some may disagree) with what the Mexican National's purchase at their local pharmacy and what the pharmacy right near the cruise terminal are selling. This is where I think you should do your due diligence.

Now, we have purchased prescription drugs in St. Maarten however we sought out the advice of a couple of crew members and although there were several pharmacies right near the ship, we ended up taking a 15 min cab ride to the middle of the island where not only did we find the prescriptions cheaper, we just felt better knowing the pharmacy was recommended by someone.

Mexico has a lot of fake drugs sold in pharmacies . Some fakes are down right dangerous because of the chemicals they mix with the antibiotic.

And technically they don't even have to be a fake drug. But the simple fact what can be used to make the prescription in another nation, may not be approved for use by the FDA. So the pill you purchase from your local pharmacy may be very different from the pill you purchase overseas.

I have been thru Ensenada several times and actually only once did mexican customs open my bag and start questioning what I had.

They just asked what is this, I told them medicine for my asthma and they said do you have a prescription and I said yes and they just said okay. They never asked to see it.

The only frustrating part is that they opened up two of the bottles (breaking the seal) which was irritating but it is what it is.

I still always get what I need down there (saves me about $125 U.S.) I think it's worth it.

Also when I went thru and they really started asking was during spring break, that could have another reason to do with it and I was with a group of my friends.

I would say get what you need, chances are you will be totally fine!

There are pharmacies in the markets.

There is a large Calimax on Castillo near Ave Sixta (Ave Prof Hermida, it's the sixth street up. You can see the sign from the ship)

Two smaller markets are just off of Ave Lopez on Gastellum. Soriana is half a block up. Calimax is between Segunda and Tercera.

Just be careful of the sidewalks. They can be dangerous.

Edited by SadieN

There is not a lot of fake drugs at a Mexican pharmacy. It is, after all, where 122 million Mexicans get their prescriptions filled. The names of the drugs may be different, but not fake.

And don't forget about the number of Americans, Canadians etc that call Mexico home. They are surviving the Mexican prescriptions quite nicely.