Explorer 2017 Itineraries

We've nothing booked yet for 2017 and are especially interested in where Explorer sails after arriving in LA in January after its first Panama Canal transit. Especially since Alaska voyages are unlikely until May by which point Explorer could be just about anywhere.

Is it likely LA and/or SF could be a gateway to Hawaii, Australia/NZ, South Pacific and Asia? Or, our preference, down the west coast of South America!

Our only cruise thus far was aboard Navigator which was a good start but we wouldn't sail her again, hence our interest in Explorer itineraries from the left coast, we live in the Bay Area.

We are booked on:

Belmond Amaryllis, barging Burgundy canals, July 2015

Silver Whisper, Barbados / Amazon / Barbados, November 2015

Seabourn Odyssey, LA / Panama Canal / Fort Lauderdale, March 2016

Seabourn Quest, Norwegian Fjords, June 2016

Edited by OctoberKat

Is it likely LA and/or SF could be a gateway to Hawaii, Australia/NZ, South Pacific and Asia? Or, our preference, down the west coast of South America!

It used to be that mid January was the starting time for the World cruise. It wouldn't be the first time Regent started one from LA. That is what I am hoping for. I would think that a ship touted as being the most luxurious ship built would need a world cruise to prove its worth.

j

If I were a betting person, I would bet a lot of money against the Explorer going to Hawaii or anywhere from the west coast. It is likely going back to the Caribbean for the winter. The itineraries you mentioned are typically done on the Mariner (except Asia that is typically done on the Voyager). Alaska is perfect for the Mariner as well. I cannot imagine that Regent would want their premiere ship to be in Alaska.

Hopefully the other cruise lines that you will be sailing will have departures from the west coast. In any case, the 1st half of 2017 itineraries should be out in October of 2015!

JMARINER: Rumor has it that the Navigator will do the world cruise (if it happens at all). All of this will be announced when the 2017 itineraries come out.

We will be on the Explorer in late 2016 and are really looking forward to it. There will be some really great CC'ers on board. We will have a blast!

Edited by Travelcat2

I am sure they brought the ship over to the West Coast to expose it to the travel agents here. I would bet on an itinerary that included at least San Francisco...unless TC has some private information. Personally we are really looking forward to this trip as we only have to travel one way! Yeah.

Gerry, it is interesting that there are no Tahiti itineraries in 2015-2016. I heard a rumor that the Tahiti itineraries were not doing well (probably because Regent is in competition with the Paul Gauguin and even we would pick the Paul Gauguin over any other cruise line that sails in the South Pacific.)

While I have no information as to where the Explorer will be, I thought that someone - perhaps on the Mariner - indicated that she would probably spend the winter of 2016/2017 in the Caribbean. This makes the most sense as it will get more exposure to U.S. and Canadian travelers there than anywhere else in the world than I can think of. After "Caribbean season", she could go almost anywhere.

Maybe Explorer goes to Tahiti and on to NZ and Oz?? That would seem logical to me... I suppose we will find out when the 2017 itineraries come out (maybe October? or this summer?)

This seems a successful itinerary for the other luxe lines which could constitute a competitive advantage. In any case, we are among the interested hoards awaiting the next announcement of itineraries.

Is the Caribbean market over saturated? It's certainly a possibility but open access to Cuba from the U.S. could be a game changer.

Edited by OctoberKat

and I checked Gaugin. In 2017 they are not doing their customary cruises to Fiji, etc. Something might be going on down there. I was just going to look into something for that year and would be unhappy if Marina didn't go there.

People are no longer waiting with baited breath for the Explorer itineraries and there remains availability on the already announced itineraries. As discussed a few months ago, the hype was so great that people booked the extremely high prices, high deposits and difficult cancellation policies for the maiden voyage and some of the cruises that follow. While the ship is probably worth the hype, unless passengers are fairly certain that they will be taking the cruise, they seem to be waiting to book.

Good TA's know a few days before the release of itineraries and can get you booked the first hour that booking is open. We asked our TA to book us immediately if the Explorer was going to do a transatlantic crossing. At the time it made sense that the Explorer had to get to Miami eventually so a crossing was a good bet. Our TA nailed it and very quickly at that. Our friends booked the same cruise this week and had no difficulty booking (but were unable to get the exact suite that they wanted).

It is best to sit back and relax -- check with your TA in September and await the new itineraries. On the other hand, if people want to guess and speculate, that is fine too.

Edited by Travelcat2

She is only doing the close runs in Tahiti and Bora Bora. I would love to do her and do the other outlying islands, but I can't do it in 2016. Sad. I was hoping at least the Marina was going to do it again in 2017 as she has one in March which is borderline. I don't want to be in the SP in January and February as it is monsoon season. We just got off the Marina and a lot of the crew who were just on that schedule said that some of the passengers were really disappointed because of heavy downpours. At least the PG did it in October which is also a shoulder month, but as in the case of March, the chances are much better for good weather.

".....Seven Seas Explorer will begin her journey on her maiden voyage on July 20, 2016 leaving out of Monte Carlo and spend her remaining inaugural season in Europe before heading to Miami for her Caribbean debut in December of 2016. To book Seven Seas Explorer Inaugural Season, click here or contact your professional travel agent...."

Above quoted from a Regent announcement received this morning regarding the new Explorer Canyon Ranch Spa. Looks like TC2 "nailed it".

Regards

Hi Pingpong, yes Explorer will be in the Caribbean in December. But she transits the Panama Canal en route to Los Angeles on a December 28th, 2016 cruise. What we don't know as yet is where she goes from LA in January 2017. Nothing announced on that so we still don't know. She could sail right through the canal back to the Caribbean OR she could cruise off to the South Pacific and Oz ... or head down the west coast of South America (please!).

Breath continues bated for the first 2017 sailings aboard Explorer.

Edited by OctoberKat

Yes, my French friend, many think this is the case but not yet announced. Have you seen public notice? Perhaps you're a TA and have seen this tactic before.

"Tactic"? An usual choice of words. Every year Regent releases their itineraries at approximately the same time. While the winter of 2016 has been discussed quite a bit, Regent has their work cut out for them in terms of positioning their 4 ships for the summer of 2017. Generally when the October announcement comes out (sometimes a bit earlier) the itineraries only go through May (in this case May, 2017). There will be another wait of a few months before the June - early December, 2017 are released.

mesamis: Unless something major changes, you are no doubt correct. However, since no one can make plans or book for another few months, posters will continue to speculate. I'm happy that we booked the transatlantic on the Explorer as we have no plans to return to the Caribbean or to repeat the Panama Canal. With all of the interest in the Explorer, I'm sure that we will be happy to return to the Voyager or Mariner once we have had the opportunity to sail on the Explorer.

In terms of speculation, the Mariner will probably still be in Alaska for the summer 2017 and the Navigator may be doing a world cruise (or not - this is one rumor that won't go away) at the beginning of the year and then go on to Europe again. This leaves the Voyager that typically has the most exotic itineraries open for the year. The Explorer will "probably" be in the Caribbean for the winter and ???? for the rest of the year.

It is fun to speculate - even though there will be few surprises in the next 18-24 months.

...I'm happy that we booked the transatlantic on the Explorer as we have no plans to return to the Caribbean or to repeat the Panama Canal...

Hi Travelcat2,

I see you have done the Panama Canal. We are looking at the 12/28/16 Miami to Los Angeles sailing of the Explorer. Do you have any recommendations or thoughts for a Panama Canal newbie?

Thanks.

Hi Travelcat2,

I see you have done the Panama Canal. We are looking at the 12/28/16 Miami to Los Angeles sailing of the Explorer. Do you have any recommendations or thoughts for a Panama Canal newbie?

Thanks.

Hi - I think that the Panama Canal on the Explorer would be amazing! When we transited the Panama Canal (it takes several hours), it seemed that most passengers "camped out" in the Observation Lounge because of the views. We also took turns going to the top deck (on the Explorer it would be deck 12) to watch for a while. Another great viewing area would be outside of La Veranda.

Having binoculars is a good idea as monkeys can be spotted in trees (we did not see any but we weren't looking very hard:-)

I like the fact that the cruise is after Christmas. We did not find cruising at Christmas to be to our liking but really did enjoy New Year's on the ship. It is a great itinerary - hope you decide to book before they fill up:)

If you want to do a Panama Canal transit I suggest you go with a line that stops either in Panama City (Fuerte Amador) or Colon/Cristobal. You really need to get off the ship and see the locks up close.

Radisson/Regent used to stop in the Canal near the Gatun Locks at a "Yacht Club." From there they had tours to the Gatun Locks. In the island bettween the lock sets there is a viewing area where you can watch the ships go through the locks. Another tour was to the base of Gatun Dam and then a boat tour down Chagres River. They would also put on a BBQ in the Yacht Club and you could go swimming in the canal.

j

Average Panama Canal transit time is between eight and eleven hours; it's not a quick dash ... and that's a good thing.

Jim and I are transiting during our March 2016 cruise aboard Sebourn Odyssey, LA to FLL, with a port call at Fort Amador / Panama City. Going home for the first time in 43 years! Born and raised in Panama.

Edited by OctoberKat