Does it seem odd

Caroldoll

That with all the hype about the Explorer, there is availability on plenty of cabins? Also, we are on the Grand Canal Crossing and there are no Cruise Critic members registered except myself??? Perhaps I might get lonely! Where are the people....?

Explorer sailing is a long way off. I, for one, are waiting to hear the details on the cabins from cruisers; to see if the T&Cs get more reasonable; and of course to see an itinerary that excites us. Our plan is for early 2017 - in the meantime Voyager and Mariner will do us just fine!

We are sniffing at the 11/2016 TA, but want to have our next (first) Regent cruise under our belt... We may book onboard.

I think your 'phenomenon' is a function of the fact that, largely, most Regent prospects don't buy hype. :p

Edited by computerworks

Agree, the cancellation policy is, in my estimation, draconian. Regarding fares, I found the ones for the Explorer TA almost "reasonable", the rest are for me quite outrageous, specially if you're not planning to partake in many of the excursions.

Computerworks, I think if you book onboard the deposit is much lower, and there might be other perks.

Caroldoll, I'm in the same, er, boat as you, another Californian wanting to minimize exhausting and expensive air travel. Thus, the as-yet-unannounced Explorer west coast U.S. itineraries could get me back aboard Regent.

Edited by OctoberKat

One of the favorite itineraries I did years ago was Mariner from Miami to Los Angeles. It was also a food and wine themed cruise and a segment of the World Cruise so everything on board was special. And no flight at the end.

I bet that was a wonderful voyage. We are booked on the reverse journey, LA to Miami trans-canal next year in March but aboard Seabourn Odyssey.

Edited by OctoberKat

There are few port calls on the Transatlantic. Included excursions mean little. The Oceania Riviera has almost the same itinerary as the Explorer. A PH cabin is $$$$ less. Only difference is that on Regent you can upgrade your LA-Rome airfare to Business class for a few hundred per person. Or use your miles for free Business Class air and an air credit.

Also wanting and hoping to see new Canal. Figured I should grab a chance while I am still kicking! LOL. I think everything about Regent is outrageous. I guess I am kind of an Oceania type of gal...but this one worked for me. Maybe they will reduce fares...who knows...depends on how it fills. Right now it looks like almost everything is available.

ChatCat, I beg to differ a little bit on your Oceania Riviera vs. Regent Explorer cost comparisons. You state the Explorer transatlantic is $$$$ more expensive. Of course, many people have done all sorts of Regent/Oceania cost comparisons. But if you assume the Regent excursions have some value as does the all inclusive drink package, then the per diem on the 16 day Regent cruise is not much more than the per diem on the 14 day Oceania cruise for similar size cabins. The ships are almost the same size (780 feet in length for Riviera, 750 feet for Explorer) but Explorer will carry far fewer guests and will have a more favorable crew to guest ratio. Everybody has to do their own analysis factoring in what's important to them, but to me, the cost is about a wash. It remains to be seen, but hopefully Explorer will provide a more luxurious and intimate cruising experience.

I am devoutly hopeful Explorer will be more luxurious, may it in fact be so.

You are correct when you say we all as individual prospective guests must do individual analysis. In our case, what appeals about Oceania is Jim quaffs not; we both abjure Regent excursions; and will always book a larger suite. Thus, Oceania looks to be a better deal.

That said, I am interested in an Explorer itinerary (not Panama Canal) originating on west coast USA.

ChatCat, . But if you assume the Regent excursions have some value as does the all inclusive drink package, then the per diem on the 16 day Regent cruise is not much more than the per diem on the 14 day Oceania cruise for similar size cabins. .

Not to me. I am long over the bus tours that are Regent included. And my husband and I have specific likes in the beverage department. I prefer on both counts to make my own selections. I'd rather have private tours in port or hire a cab than sit on a bus with 45 others to go visit a shopping venue. And for wine, I prefer to get a really good bottle of wine of my choosing.

ChatKat. I recommend with flourishes the St. Emilion from Regent's premium wine list. The wines on our Navigator cruise in January were up and down. I'm happy to order and pay for my own choices. It won't break our bank.

Edited by OctoberKat

If I were a betting person (I'm not), I would bet a lot against the Explorer having west coast itineraries. They probably need to get the ship to the west coast to show it off to TA's, etc. It will likely return to the east coast until it is announced where it will spend the summer of 2017. There is little interest on the west coast during the winter when the seas are quite rough. And, it is a safe assumption that the Mariner will resume the Alaska run in May, 2017. This means another Panama Canal cruise followed by going up the west coast and ultimately doing San Francisco to Vancouver prior to the weekly/semi-weekly Alaska itineraries. Keep in mind that rumor has the Navigator doing an around-the-world cruise in 2017. They will need the Explorer in the Caribbean (unless they change it and have the Mariner in the Caribbean and the Explorer in South America.)

In terms of few people on Roll Call, in addition to the cruises being over a year away, remember that approximately 5% of passengers on any Regent cruise are members of Cruise Critic (sad but apparently true). If you really want to know how many people are booked on your particular cruise, either ask your TA or do a pretend "booking" and check out the availability of each category of suite. While the a category shows "available", it is possible that only one or two suites in the category are available. Pretending to book is one way of finding out the true availability.

Edited by Travelcat2

ChatKat. I recommend with flourishes the St. Emilion from Regent's premium wine list. The wines on our Navigator cruise in January were up and down. I'm happy to order and pay for my own choices. It won't break our bank.

I can buy a lot of wine for $2000 a person less fare. A nice St. Emilion is good. Very happy to have some good Napa Cab and Russian River Chardonnay

I can buy a lot of wine for $2000 a person less fare. A nice St. Emilion is good. Very happy to have some good Napa Cab and Russian River Chardonnay

And I rather have a pax/ space ratio of 72 than 53, as well as a much favorable crew/pax ratio…to each his own...

This goes round and round. Excoriation alert, I am about to be egregious. We never would choose the usual low-level suites on ANY line, they're all too confining for the likes of me and Jim. Thus, entry level pricing is of no consequence to us however large or small.

Blasphemy alert: yes, Jim and I live in California yet prefer French and Italian wines. Hence this summer's "cruise" aboard Belmond's Amaryllis through the canals of Burgundy, the annual Le Semaine des Grand Crus. http://www.belmond.com/afloat-in-france/holidays/grand_cru

Just to clarify Cruiseluv's post:

And I rather have a pax/ space ratio of 72 than 53, as well as a much favorable crew/pax ratio…to each his own...

This figure is a ship-wide overall space-to-passenger ratio and is not related to one's individual cabin choice. Regent, I believe, has one of the best, if the not the best, space-to-passenger ratios in the industry.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Just to clarify Cruiseluv's post:

This figure is a ship-wide overall space-to-passenger ratio and is not related to one's individual cabin choice. Regent, I believe, has one of the best, if the not the best, space-to-passenger ratios in the industry.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Thank you for "clarifying" my post, yes that's indeed the point. You can have a "suite" on Royal Caribbean and you're still sailing on Royal Caribbean. I'm not suggesting Oceania is RC ...

True - the over all space to passenger ratio is higher but honestly for me - not noticeable in the least. The cabin in a PH on Riviera is comparable to the cabin on Voyager and Explorer. Most other things are comparable. I have been saying for years that Oceania and Regent are very close to the same product. The last Oceania cruise onboard with the F and B staff working jointly on menus, the same Destinations and excursions, and even staff overlap don't make the extra difference for us worth spending.