Ventura formal nights?

Big Stevie

We are on Ventura on 28th May for a 14 night Mediterranean cruise and was wondering if there is any way of finding out the dates of the formal nights?

Apparently there are 4 x formal nights, but I can't find any dates on my P&O personaliser. Ive just purchased a dinner suit so Im keen to wear it.

Thanks.

Edited by Big Stevie

Congrats on the purchase.. Details of black tie nights are in the paperwork available in your cabin once you have embarked. You can guarantee one on the second night and the last but one night. Others most likely on sea days between the two nights mentioned

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on the purchase.. Details of black tie nights are in the paperwork available in your cabin once you have embarked. You can guarantee one on the second night and the last but one night. Others most likely on sea days between the two nights mentioned

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what we thought too, but not so.

We're on Ventura now, and the first black tie night was the THIRD not the traditional second night.

They also swapped last night and tonight.

There will be four, but you'll just have to wait and see.

Stewart

You can make a guess which evenings will be formal - sea days most likely - but things can change. On one cruise we were scheduled to have a formal evening on the second night but we had a bumpy day going through the Bay and because some people were obviously unwell they changed the formal evening to the next night. PS That was the only time it's been really bumpy for us going through the Bay - don't want to scare new cruisers. Just have Stugeron or similar ready to take in case!

• 2 months later...
Is there a specific order to the formal nights as I see from the brochure that one is black and white night - is there a normal pattern which is followed?

I didn't really notice any difference between the two nights, on either night gents were wearing either the usual black dinner suits or they were wearing black trousers, black shirt with white jacket and white bowtie.

I must say the old gents wearing the white jacket combination did look really good, especially if they had similar colour hair. Though its a look that wouldn't necessarily suit everyone.

Well the above answers to my original post certainly turned out to be true. The themed nights are displayed on the TV in your cabin, and they did occur mostly on sea days.

I was initially not interested in attending the formal nights, when booking tour cruise, but I purchased a cheap dinner suit from Debenhams department store at the last minute, and I'm really glad I did. I would have felt I was missing out on an opportunity to do something different had I not done so. My 8yr old son also wore a dinner suit and couldn't go anywhere without elderly gents approaching him and telling him how amazingly smart he looked, which we thought was extremely kind.

Edited by Big Stevie

I was initially not interested in attending the formal nights, when booking tour cruise, but I purchased a cheap dinner suit from Debenhams department store at the last minute, and I'm really glad I did. I would have felt I was missing out on an opportunity to do something different had I not done so. My 8yr old son also wore a dinner suit and couldn't go anywhere without elderly gents approaching him and telling him how amazingly smart he looked, which we thought was extremely kind..

That was a great post to read. Absolutely love that your son got dressed up and delighted to hear he got so many compliments. I have seen a few youngsters dressed up (not with DJ's though) and I just think they are such a real credit to their parents.

That was a great post to read. Absolutely love that your son got dressed up and delighted to hear he got so many compliments. I have seen a few youngsters dressed up (not with DJ's though) and I just think they are such a real credit to their parents.

Thanks, and heres the little man himself (I'm the one on the right :D)

IMG_7664_zpsq4xxvwhi.jpg

Sweet pic! We've packed a few suit jacket, waistcoat, shirt and trouser combos for our 8 month old which we can put together depending on his mood...along with bow ties in colours to match mummy's dresses...I'm sure he'll want to kill me in a few years when he sees the pictures haha!

The first Formal Night (Captain's Welcome Party as well) is almost always the 2nd night, but I too have known it be postponed to the 3rd night if the Bay of Biscay forecast is for rough weather and the 3rd day is at sea too.

Black and White is always one of the sea day evenings in the middle or towards the cruise end. The penultimate night is formal too.

And yes, don't worry about the Bay of Biscay. I've crossed it about 20 times and it's only been really rough twice.

We're just off Ventura and the first formal night was scheduled for day three. This remained the case even after cancellation of the St Peter Port call led to day 2 becoming an additional sea day.
Why was your St Peter's Port cancelled? We are doing a 2 nighter to St Peters Port at the end of August. Its the only port! Edited by Canugess
Sloppy punctuation

Why was your St Peter's Port cancelled? We are doing a 2 nighter to St Peters Port at the end of August. Its the only port!

Poor visibility this time rather than the usual wind! The captain said that to take Ventura into the harbour area and operate the tenders would have been outside the safety paramaters for such a big ship in confined waters with other vessels manoeuvring.

I hope that you will have much better luck in August!

Poor visibility this time rather than the usual wind! The captain said that to take Ventura into the harbour area and operate the tenders would have been outside the safety paramaters for such a big ship in confined waters with other vessels manoeuvring.

I hope that you will have much better luck in August!

Big Stevie, you guys look super smart, good effort, on our recent cruise I was surprised how many people made the effort on formal night, I reckon 80/85% men in suits or DJ's and a bit less on the second one.

I was also on Kaths cruise and to be fair the visibility at about 08.00 hrs was only about 200m, plus the forecast was for rougher seas in the afternoon. It was a shame to miss out and could have been made much better if we had got to Lisbon a day earlier but instead we went across bay of biscay at walking pace !!!!! I know logistics probably prevented early arrival at Lisbon

Hope weather is better end August, not sure why they persist with Guernsey as it seems at least 50% of the time it is cancelled. Oh yeah it does help P&O make the cruise tax free for them as Guernsey not in EU !!!!!!

Edited by Dwalkerdave