The Queen stands alone?

Whirled Peas

I need some candid advice. I have been on one Cunard cruise - a TA last fall. Went with a girlfriend. The two of us, two single ladies, had a really great time. We were in Queens Grill and really enjoyed eating in the elegant Queens Grill restaurant.

I am thinking seriously about taking another Cunard cruise, in a Queen's grill suite, but by myself. Specifically, I am thinking of booking a three week segment of a world cruise in 2018. (I will need that much time to squirrel away the extra money for such a luxury!)

So here's my concern. I noticed that virtually everyone dining in the Queens Grill was part of a couple or a group. There were no other single people. Indeed I think by girlfriend and I might have been the only folks in the restaurant who were not traveling with their partner. So how would a single woman be received in this setting? I am interested in sitting at a larger table to make friends for the duration of the cruise, but I don't want to be a third wheel. Also, I worry that, if I join a world cruise somewhere in the middle, that I am barging in on already established relationships and my presence might not be welcome, especially if I am on my own.

I really relish the idea of cruising by myself. I can do what I want when I want, and I can do nothing sometimes. But I don't want to spend a whole three weeks on my own and isolated. I want to feel like I am part of the group at my dining table, but I don't want to make others uncomfortable or make them feel responsible for the poor single lady.

Has anyone else traveled solo in QG? What was your experience with this? Has anyone dined at a larger table where one of your fellows was cruising alone? Was it comfortable? What about barging in during the middle of the other cruisers' much longer cruise experience?

I appreciate any advice you might have.

Thanks,

WP

Sounds like you have planned a wonderful trip. As for dining I would say request a table for 4 or more when you book. It is possible that people will be getting on for your segment and you might be seated with them, and you will meet and make new friends. If you don't mix well with the first set, ask the maitre'd to seat you at another table. On one crossing Dr. Ruth Westheimer was traveling alone in the suite next to mine and was seated at a table for 5 in the QG. She was great fun to be around.

No personal experience in QG but I doubt you would be the only solo in the dining room (I know of three who were on my roll call for the 2014 WV).

Cunard does a great job of placing solos together for dinner. On the 2014 WV I was at a table for ten and when we started it was all solo cruisers. Some stayed on for the entire voyage, others left and new people joined. All were welcome.

In 2015 I did the first segment of the WV and was upgraded to Britannia Club. I again was at a large table with all solo cruisers. One of the things I noticed for that cruise was that about half of those assigned to the table ate early and the other half ate late so it was almost like two different groups. (The five of us who ate late had a great time!)

On one of my cruises this year I was placed at a large table with three couples. I was a little worried about this but after the first night I felt right at home. The seven of us had a great time together and were often the last to leave the dining room.

Cruising as a solo is wonderful. I have done five cruises (almost 200 days) cruising on my own and have another world cruise planned. I have had amazingly good luck with my dinner companions so I no longer worry about it like I once did.

Best wishes for a memorable cruise!

While I certainly can't claim to be as sparkling a conversationalist as Dr. Ruth, I generally get on well with everyone, and can hold my own during dinner conversations. I am not seeking to be the center of attention, and I wouldn't expect my table mates to include me in their other cruise activities (although it might be great fun to do a few things with other cruisers). I really just want to feel comfortable, not an unwanted intruder, and to not feel like I am some sort of pitiable creature. I am quite comfortable being with me, myself and I.

I have read elsewhere on this board that many folks only travel for a given segment or segments of world cruises. Does anyone know if it that happens a lot? Is it possible to ask to be seated at a table in the QG with others who have only recently boarded so as to not disrupt established dinner time relationships? Who would a poor single girl ask for this accommodation?

I have done 2 segments travelling solo but not in QG...

This year from Hong Kong I

joined an 8 table where 4 were WC passengers and 4 of us replaced 4 who had just disembarked. We were made very welcome and all got on well.

In my experience most people are very friendly and I have had wonderful trips travelling on my own..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I need some candid advice. I have been on one Cunard cruise - a TA last fall. Went with a girlfriend. The two of us, two single ladies, had a really great time. We were in Queens Grill and really enjoyed eating in the elegant Queens Grill restaurant.

I am thinking seriously about taking another Cunard cruise, in a Queen's grill suite, but by myself. Specifically, I am thinking of booking a three week segment of a world cruise in 2018. (I will need that much time to squirrel away the extra money for such a luxury!)

So here's my concern. I noticed that virtually everyone dining in the Queens Grill was part of a couple or a group. There were no other single people. Indeed I think by girlfriend and I might have been the only folks in the restaurant who were not traveling with their partner. So how would a single woman be received in this setting? I am interested in sitting at a larger table to make friends for the duration of the cruise, but I don't want to be a third wheel. Also, I worry that, if I join a world cruise somewhere in the middle, that I am barging in on already established relationships and my presence might not be welcome, especially if I am on my own.

I really relish the idea of cruising by myself. I can do what I want when I want, and I can do nothing sometimes. But I don't want to spend a whole three weeks on my own and isolated. I want to feel like I am part of the group at my dining table, but I don't want to make others uncomfortable or make them feel responsible for the poor single lady.

Has anyone else traveled solo in QG? What was your experience with this? Has anyone dined at a larger table where one of your fellows was cruising alone? Was it comfortable? What about barging in during the middle of the other cruisers' much longer cruise experience?

I appreciate any advice you might have.

Thanks,

WP

I travelled solo in QG for the first sectors of this year's Word Cruise on the QM2 and had a great time. Our table consisted of two couples and four solos and every mealtime was most convivial and enjoyed by all. The solos were three male and one female. On almost all evenings we dined at similar times and the courses worked out perfectly. At breakfast and lunch we were a little more staggered. I think the Maitre D (Osman in our case) is well used to matching people who select a large table when they are solo passengers - in fact by doing so it indicates that you wish to have a "good time" at meals and desire conversation.

So I would not worry - you should have no problems.

Paging Andiamo to the white courtesy phone...

I know that she generally travels solo. Maybe she'll find this thread at some point.

Hi there. I heard the page and am happy to take the call.

However, I'm afraid I won't be helpful, as my situation is different. Prior to 2009, I had a significant other, and we shared 35 cruises together, including several on QM2. Other than a few where we traveled with friends, we only took a table for two.

My first solo on Mary was in QG at a shared table. I was not used to it and did not care to repeat the arrangement. Since then, I have been in PG every Christmas at my own table. I am fiercely independent and prefer to come and go as I please. I have been very fortunate to have met many people over the years and can be quite the social butterfly, so it is not an anti-social thing.

As an aside, I already have plans to join a family for dinner this Christmas that I met (and joined two years ago); a date for tea with a solo gal who has been on many times; cocktails with other dear friends; and more than likely a beach date and a few port lunches. However, this is clearly due to being part of what has become somewhat of a 'repeaters' voyage.

Despite my own choices and experience, I can still comfortably say that I believe the OP will be accommodated very nicely at a mixed table, not only because Osman does a great job matching up people, fellow guests are for the most part warm, friendly, and inviting.

Jeanne

I'm a solo who has dined mostly in PG, although once in QG and BC. As Andiamo has said you will be very nicely accommodated at a mixed table unless you choose to dine alone.

I've done voyages up to three weeks where a sailing around the British Isles or to Norway was sandwiched between TA crossings. So where were some changes of table mates as some had only booked one of those segments. The Maitre D' will mix solos with couples.

I prefer to ask for a table for eight as it gives more leeway to still having company if somebody decides to dine elsewhere at times.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences. You have addressed my concerns completely, and I plan to book the last 21 days of the 2018 world voyage on the QM2. I will count on the Maitre D' to insure that I have a friendly table, and I will do my best to be a compatible dinner companion.

Now, all I have to do is make sure none of my friends decide they want to join me on this cruise! I really do want to take this trip alone, and to have the flexibility that comes with not having to accommodate another passenger's preferences for excursions, daily activities, etc.

Three weeks to do what I want, when I want, and to do it in luxury, while still having the pleasure of other passenger's company at dinner. It just doesn't get any better than that!

Thanks very much for your thoughts and suggestions.

WP