HAL Transfers in Vancouver

alwaysfrantic

I have never used cruise transfers before but will be in Vancouver on a 3 ship day. I'm reading about hours long taxi queues and a general shortage of cabs in the city.

Does HAL assign a bus for transfers in advance based on flight departure, or are the busses loaded and sent as people exit the ship?

Even though my flight isn't until nearly 2 pm, the taxi situation, combined with my spouses refusal to get Global Entry, has me concerned.

Thanks for any YVR info you can provide.

I have never used cruise transfers before but will be in Vancouver on a 3 ship day. I'm reading about hours long taxi queues and a general shortage of cabs in the city.

Does HAL assign a bus for transfers in advance based on flight departure, or are the busses loaded and sent as people exit the ship?

Even though my flight isn't until nearly 2 pm, the taxi situation, combined with my spouses refusal to get Global Entry, has me concerned.

Thanks for any YVR info you can provide.

Actually the taxi situation isn't that bad in Vancouver.Instead of getting a taxi in the terminal. Take the elevator to the lobby of the Pan Pacific (part of Canada Place) . Ask one of the doorman to get you a cab. The taxi for the port just line up outside the Pan pacific.

About YVR , on a three ship day the airport will be a mad house. I've seen 2 hour lines to just check. If you can do a self disembarkation .

We used the airport transfer after an Alaska cruise. There were two coaches and both were to leave at the same time - about 8:30 or maybe a little later. Those taking this transfer were given luggage tags with a specific colour so it was easy finding the bags. The first coach was obviously going to be full so we held back a bit and boarded the second one which was barely half full.

In the on-board literature HAL had warned passengers that the taxi queue can be long, but we noticed it was not at the time we disembarked.

The cost of the transfer for two seemed a bit steep, but as we had a lot of on-board credit it was essentially free. As we are reasonably fit and travel without too much luggage our intention was to take the nearby Skytrain as we did when we arrived two days prior to the cruise. This has been discussed before on this forum and I admit it wouldn't be convenient for everyone.

Canada line (skytrain) goes from waterfront (about 2 blocks from cruise port) to airport. Cheaper than taxi or transfer. http://www.portvancouver.com/cruise/faqs/

That's what we plan on using for our cruise in Jul. We'll only have a small bag so dragging the bags for a couple of blocks shouldn't be to hard. I agree the HAL transfers are a bit expensive but was always a good way to get to the airport after a cruise.

Allan

That's what we plan on using for our cruise in Jul. We'll only have a small bag so dragging the bags for a couple of blocks shouldn't be to hard. I agree the HAL transfers are a bit expensive but was always a good way to get to the airport after a cruise.

Allan

We have done this several times. About the same time wise as a taxi (except to waiting in lone line at cruise terminal) and cost a bunch less. Do some homework on these boards and you will find it an easy process, if you are fit enough to handle your bags.

Disembarked at Canada Place last year, with three ships in port. We had three plans for getting to airport, to be based on estimated wait times we encountered. When we got to taxi queue, taxis were lined up, in their new method, with no waiting in queue to get a taxi. The longest we waited anywhere, ship to airport gate, was at Starbucks in the terminal.

I'll second that for the Vancouver BC Skytrain. There was a very long line for taxis at the port after one of our cruises, but we just walked over and caught the next train the the airport. The Skytrain had many cruise passengers on board (with luggage) and so there was no feeling of being out of place.

The train station for traveling to the YVR airport is not the station immediately next to the cruise port, and one needs to know that only every other train goes to the airport. Not a big deal if you get on the wrong train as you can get off at the the next station (before the tracks split) and then catch the next train. These issues are not present when riding the Skytrain from the airport to the cruise port as there is only one train station and one train route from the airport.

igraf

Canada line (skytrain) goes from waterfront (about 2 blocks from cruise port) to airport. Cheaper than taxi or transfer. http://www.portvancouver.com/cruise/faqs/

The train station for traveling to the YVR airport is not the station immediately next to the cruise port, and one needs to know that only every other train goes to the airport. Not a big deal if you get on the wrong train as you can get off at the the next station (before the tracks split) and then catch the next train. These issues are not present when riding the Skytrain from the airport to the cruise port as there is only one train station and one train route from the airport.

igraf

If it should be raining heavily you can use the closer entrance but it isn't convenient. Firstly, although there are both up and down escalators from street level to the concourse (where the ticket machines are), there is no down escalator from the concourse level to platform level. If you did negotiate the stairs you would have to go through the ticket gates, along the platform, up the escalator or elevator to the Waterfront station, through the gates again, then go to the other side of the station.

It is more convenient to walk the short distance on the street and enter the Waterfront station (which still says Canadian Pacific Railway carved in stone above the pillars). It is an easy walk and there is an elevator down to track level.

Hi, I live in Vancouver. As others have said here, it's easy taking the skytrain to the airport as long as you can manage your luggage by yourself. It is a few minutes walk from the port terminal to the skytrain Waterfront Station's main terminal. Ask someone (pedestrian, vendor) where it is if unsure.

Buy your ticket at a machine on the main floor of the terminal. Before 6:30pm the cost is $4 for an adult ticket, or $2.75 for a concession ticket for seniors 65+ yrs. After 6:30pm on weekdays or on weekends, it's $2.75 for adults and $1.75 for seniors. Take the escalator or elevator downstairs to the terminal. The ride to the airport is just under 30 mins. The skytrain is fast, safe, and clean. It stops right at the departure terminal. There is no need to hurry as the airport train leaves every 6 to 12 mins during the day, depending if it is during peak rush hours or not.

Coming from the airport to the port terminal (Waterfront Stn) is just as easy, except there is a $5 'YVR (airport) addfare' surcharge.