Thoughts on traveling to NYC from MA for NCL Breakaway

virgin_cruiser

I have sailed HAL, loved it. We did the Zuiderdaam to the Panama canal. That said... I would love to sail on the Veendam to Hamilton for a three night stay downtown. The Lanai stateroom that I would book is as expensive as the Haven Spa suite on the Breakaway. So no comparison in service. And I will say HALs MDR dinning room food does not compare to the many specialty restaurants like La Bistro, Cagneys and even La Cucina (I get the Osso Bucco every visit). I cannot really compare HALs MDR to NCL due to the fact, in 4 cruises I have dinned NCL MDR once. And that time was pork chop night, the waiter brought me a plate stacked with 8 thin pork chops (he saw how much I liked them, so he brought out the plate). I was in heaven. I was a glutinous pig that evening.

So for now, for the money and treatment you get as a Haven Guest I choose NCL.

Jon

I'm surprised by your price comparisons: every time I've priced Haven on NCL I found it very steep compared with HAL balconies on comparable itineraries. I've never had interest in Lanai - no real privacy, so I've never priced them, but figured they'd be less than balconies. Comparing NCL specialties (extra cost or selected package for three or so meals) with included HAL MDR does not make sense -- HAL MDR has always struck me as far superior to NCL's - which are uniformly disappointing food and service-wise.

We're from Maine and took the BA last fall. We took Amtrak to NYC the day before, and stayed at - I believe - the Comfort Inn Times Square Midtown West. The next day, we walked to the pier. I have mobility issues and it wasn't a bad walk at all.

I'm surprised by your price comparisons: every time I've priced Haven on NCL I found it very steep compared with HAL balconies on comparable itineraries. I've never had interest in Lanai - no real privacy, so I've never priced them, but figured they'd be less than balconies. Comparing NCL specialties (extra cost or selected package for three or so meals) with included HAL MDR does not make sense -- HAL MDR has always struck me as far superior to NCL's - which are uniformly disappointing food and service-wise.

Issues in the PG and MDR on our last HAL cruise were some of the irritants that pushed us to look at other lines. PG server argued with me about how a balsamic reduction is not supposed to be so thick that a spoon can stand up in it, and I had a MDR waiter mess up my order several times. Bar staff couldn't get my order right either in the MDR (how is an espresso martini a dirt martini?).

But that is in the past, and we are still considering HAL. :) FWIW, I also agree that the quality of the MDR on NCL is better than on HAL (at least of what I remember it). It has improved dramatically in the last year.

We booked a year in advance an H9 Spa suite on the Breakaway. We previously booked Veendam same week. We really wanted to stay 3 nights in Hamilton. We booked a Lanai stateroom. I love that it goes right onto the Promenade deck, also a door to the hallway. Any way we cancelled the Veendam due to being able to be in the Haven for only $100 P/P more than the Lanai room. With all the amenities like UBP, was UDP at the time, gratuities and what not. We felt that not staying in Hamilton and 1 less night there was worth it. Well any way... We were forced to cancel that Breakaway cruise too, just prior to final payment. Some times work gets in the way of a good time.

That said, when I book another Bermuda cruise which I definitely will, it may be Veendam if I can get that room for substantially less than a Haven suite for the time period I choose. I love both lines, but I really love the "Suite Life"! Hard to beat the perks and service.

Boston or NYC, both are relatively convenient to me. I do say the port departure and arrival in the NYC is a more exciting experience.

Also if Veendam would go back to St. George like HAL, NCL and Celebrity used to... That would be a big decision maker. I don't see any cruise ships there these days, Veendam too big?

Edited by NH Cruisers

Really nothing wrong with Dock Yard - and with the Americas Cup right downtown - and HAL is a smaller ship - we are not small ship people - and next year Dockyard is the place to be - Americas Cup 2017 hosted in them"tourist trap"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We live in Rhode Island and have cruised from Manhattan twice (though we generally prefer to sail from Boston if possible). The first time it was just two adults so we took Amtrak + a cab to the port. It was very easy and much cheaper than parking in Manhattan. The second time we had 4 adults and a 2 year old, so we drove 1 large SUV and parked right by the ship. It was pricey, but cheaper than the train for that many people and the convenience was absolutely worth it with a toddler. Both ways worked well.

We went the morning of both times. The train got into the city by 11 a.m. I felt ok about it because if it had been seriously delayed (before we got on anyway...) we could have driven and gotten there in plenty of time. It was a small risk, but one I was willing to take, whereas I would never fly to a port the day of.

Edited by gymbomb

just booked The Breakaway for April school vacation and coming from southern Ma. I think we plan on taking amtrack the day before staying in NYC then a cab the next day to the port. Too nervous to do it the day of departure.

From north of Boston. We have drivin to the port. Very easy. We drove down the morning of the cruise. I do not like driving when I don't know where I am going so I was nervous in doing the drive. The easiest way is take 95 south towards the George Washington bridge and take the Henry Hudson parkway south exit. It is the last exit before you go over the bridge.

I live in southern RI and have done this exact drive mentioned above so many times--my boyfriend works on the Breakaway so I see him quite a bit when the ship is in port on Sundays. Traffic is light early in the morning and there are plenty of places to park. Look through the thread in Ports of Call/North America/NYC and there's great info on discount parking and prices. :)

If I go to NYC on Saturday to stay overnight, I stay at Comfort Inn on 44th/9th which is exactly 1.0 mile to the ship and there is discounted parking across the street from the Comfort Inn. We have dinner at John's Pizza which is walking distance from Comfort Inn at 260 West 44th St---minutes from Times Square--you can enjoy a nice walk after dinner. It took my bf 20 minutes to walk from the pier to the hotel :) Enjoy!!!!!!!!

I have to give credit to previous posters here on CC. We drove 4 hrs on the day prior from Northern VA, parked the car at the Port Imperial Terminal of the NY Waterway ($140 for the week Sat afternoon through the following Sun morning) then took the ferry to the 39th Street Terminal (8 minutes, $9 each) then walked to the Holiday Inn Express Midtown Manhattan West (2 blocks from the cruise terminal and 3 blocks to Times Square). Relaxing evening in NYC walking and easy morning on Sunday before walking the two blocks to the Cruise Terminal. After the cruise we did self-assist, disembarked around 8:30, walked to the 39th street terminal, ferried across back to Port Imperial, loaded our bags and were on the road back to VA by 9:15.