Kids Menu

MomofTheBoy

Hey party people

Last time i cruised was almost 3 years ago and there was no American table situation. Now from all the recent reviews and pics of menus I'm a wee bit concerned. I have a very picky soon to be 7 year old. Last cruise we had good meals in the MDR; knew I could pick things on the menu he would eat (fried chicken, fruit, spaghetti, and any other meat that had no type of sauce. I could also get some brocolli). Now it seems like those things are gone.

Is there a menu for kids? We like eating in the dining room so I want to make sure he still can.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

There is really no problem with the new menus at all.

There is still a children's menu and even on the adult menu there are always plain grill options without any sauce at all that you can get.There are always side dishes you can order like a baked potato or vegetable (broccoli if you like) etc.

I don't think you will have a problem finding food.

I'm slightly worried about food for my kids as well (I have never cruised Carnival but after looking at the menus, I don't think my extremely picky 4 year old will eat anything in the MDR). My plan is to take him to the buffet, as I cannot imagine that they will not have things that he will eat there. Plus it will be quick and he won't have to sit and wait for his food....waiting in restaurants is not his forte. Then I will drop him off at Camp Ocean (he loves the NCL kids clubs and I'm hoping he will like Carnival's just as much). And then I will take my 11 year old (slightly picky eater) to the MDR for dinner. The kids menu has chicken fingers which I think she will like. There seems to be mac n cheese offered, always a grilled chicken breast, pork chop, salmon (all of which I will ask for no sauce for her), flat iron steak, fruit plate, cheese plate. I'm thinking that your picky kid and mine will be fine. I don't remember if there is a PB&J on the MDR kids menu but I do know that it is on the room service menu. So my thought is....if worse comes to worse, I can get her some room service later in the evening :). Also, my 11 year old won't eat pizza but if you are on a ship with Pizza Pirate and your son eats pizza, that may be an option if he isn't full from dinner. Happy cruising!!

There are lots of plain choices. Plain meat, plain pasta (or with tomato sauce, or butter and parmesan cheese), chicken nuggets, hamburgers, pizza - and yes, steamed broccoli.

We took my 7, 9 and 13 year old niece and nephews on a Carnival cruise last August - they loved the food. The youngest pretty much stuck to the kids menu but the other two mixed and matched.

There is really no problem with the new menus at all.

There is still a children's menu and even on the adult menu there are always plain grill options without any sauce at all that you can get.There are always side dishes you can order like a baked potato or vegetable (broccoli if you like) etc.

I don't think you will have a problem finding food.

Ive yet to see a kids menu thats what had me a bit on edge. Thought we were gonna have to eat most of our meals on lido.

I'm slightly worried about food for my kids as well (I have never cruised Carnival but after looking at the menus, I don't think my extremely picky 4 year old will eat anything in the MDR). My plan is to take him to the buffet, as I cannot imagine that they will not have things that he will eat there. Plus it will be quick and he won't have to sit and wait for his food....waiting in restaurants is not his forte. Then I will drop him off at Camp Ocean (he loves the NCL kids clubs and I'm hoping he will like Carnival's just as much). And then I will take my 11 year old (slightly picky eater) to the MDR for dinner. The kids menu has chicken fingers which I think she will like. There seems to be mac n cheese offered, always a grilled chicken breast, pork chop, salmon (all of which I will ask for no sauce for her), flat iron steak, fruit plate, cheese plate. I'm thinking that your picky kid and mine will be fine. I don't remember if there is a PB&J on the MDR kids menu but I do know that it is on the room service menu. So my thought is....if worse comes to worse, I can get her some room service later in the evening :). Also, my 11 year old won't eat pizza but if you are on a ship with Pizza Pirate and your son eats pizza, that may be an option if he isn't full from dinner. Happy cruising!!

My child loves pizza so much we have it every freaking friday!!! He has a peanut allergy so no pb&j and he hates mac andncheese but thats to you all I think we gonna be just fine.

I hope this kid likes camp ocean as it will give me a bit of kid free time!

Here is a link to the current kids menu for ships that have the American Table menu: http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/AT_AF/kids/ATKids.htm

That site also has most of the other menus as well.

Sent from my XT1030 using Forums mobile app

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! Mind at ease.

Here is a link to the current kids menu for ships that have the American Table menu: http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/AT_AF/kids/ATKids.htm

That site also has most of the other menus as well.

Sent from my XT1030 using Forums mobile app

Sounds like a perfect kids menu to me! My little one is super picky and although she is even picky with mac and cheese and pasta, I know that she'll eat something! Pasta no sauce, no butter, no oil, no parsley....just plain noodles. She'll be happy. I'm sure they are used to picky eaters! Thank you for posting that menu!

My experience with a “picky eater” on a Carnival Cruise.

I took my then 9yo grandson on a cruise – Just the 2 of us. He had always been avery picky eater who refused to even try anything new. Absolutely lived on Hotdogs, pizza, mac & cheese and chicken nuggets/tenders. I knew I would beable to find these items on the kids menu so I wasn’t worried he wouldn’t eat,but I was hoping to get him to try some new things.

Sure enough, dinner #1, he wouldn’t even look at the regular menu and ordered hotdogs & fries. We were seated with 3 other pairs of a single adult traveling with a single child – ages 4, 7 & 9. After noticing that he was the only one using the kids menu, he ordered off the regular menu the rest of the week (sometimes peer pressure works for you). I told him if he wanted to be adventurous and try something different, he wouldn’t be forced to eat anything he didn’t like and could get something else. He ended up eating something he had never tried before every night. Only twice ordered something he wouldn’t eat.

Asfor eating in the Lido instead of the MDR because you’re afraid a kid might not like anything on the menu? Forget that! Worst case, take him there or get him pizza or room service AFTER dinner if he really can’t find anything to eat onthe menu.

My child loves pizza so much we have it every freaking friday!!! He has a peanut allergy so no pb&j and he hates mac andncheese but thats to you all I think we gonna be just fine.

Carnival does a fantastic job with allergies. DD is allergic to both peanuts and tree nuts.

My basic allergy post----

We travel with a group that combined has allergies to peanuts, treenuts, shellfish, egg whites, chocolate, MSG and liquid dairy. Only had issues with 'user' error, no issues with Carnival. If you have a nut allergy, know that Carnival classifies seeds as nuts.

If you have an odd allergy contact Special Needs before your cruise. If you have a 'normal' allergy no need to do so.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

See the Hostess at embarkation when the Maitre 'd has hours. Hours will be in the FunTmes, usually starting around 1pm. The hostess will take that night's order. Each night the hostess or your waiter will bring you the next day's MDR menu-breakfast, brunch/lunch and dinner. If deciding between two entrees, order both. For brunch don't hesitate to order a breakfast and lunch if you want to eat both meals in the MDR.

For room service, they cannot make special for you but they can tell you the ingredients. No special area so there is always the possibility of contamination

Buffet is a minefield. Ask the Hostess or the Head Lido Chef or the Food and Beverage crew in the officer whites. DO NOT ask the line cooks or those serving desserts. They mean well but do not know the full recipes. Cross contamination is always a possibility.

Onshore--- we bring allergy cards. I made our own but you can buy some at selectwisely.com.

You can only bring off commercially prepared food. We bring cereal bars, boxes of cereal, bottled water, hard candy etc.

Many ports will check. Some will do a physical search, others use dogs. You do not want the cute Labrador to sit next to you. I've had them alert on my Lemonheads.

Kids clubs have a form to fill out. There are some snacks served at times. The younger kids meet up at the dinner buffet certain nights. Ask the counselors what's on the menu.

Carnival does a fantastic job with allergies. DD is allergic to both peanuts and tree nuts.

My basic allergy post----

We travel with a group that combined has allergies to peanuts, treenuts, shellfish, egg whites, chocolate, MSG and liquid dairy. Only had issues with 'user' error, no issues with Carnival. If you have a nut allergy, know that Carnival classifies seeds as nuts.

If you have an odd allergy contact Special Needs before your cruise. If you have a 'normal' allergy no need to do so.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

See the Hostess at embarkation when the Maitre 'd has hours. Hours will be in the FunTmes, usually starting around 1pm. The hostess will take that night's order. Each night the hostess or your waiter will bring you the next day's MDR menu-breakfast, brunch/lunch and dinner. If deciding between two entrees, order both. For brunch don't hesitate to order a breakfast and lunch if you want to eat both meals in the MDR.

For room service, they cannot make special for you but they can tell you the ingredients. No special area so there is always the possibility of contamination

Buffet is a minefield. Ask the Hostess or the Head Lido Chef or the Food and Beverage crew in the officer whites. DO NOT ask the line cooks or those serving desserts. They mean well but do not know the full recipes. Cross contamination is always a possibility.

Onshore--- we bring allergy cards. I made our own but you can buy some at selectwisely.com.

You can only bring off commercially prepared food. We bring cereal bars, boxes of cereal, bottled water, hard candy etc.

Many ports will check. Some will do a physical search, others use dogs. You do not want the cute Labrador to sit next to you. I've had them alert on my Lemonheads.

Kids clubs have a form to fill out. There are some snacks served at times. The younger kids meet up at the dinner buffet certain nights. Ask the counselors what's on the menu.

Never realized we could bring the cereal boxes off the boat. Those will definitely be in the bag. They were really good about his allergies last cruise. He is definitely more vocal now about what he can and cant eat as well as what he does and doesnt like to eat LOL

Asfor eating in the Lido instead of the MDR because you’re afraid a kid might not like anything on the menu? Forget that! Worst case, take him there or get him pizza or room service AFTER dinner if he really can’t find anything to eat onthe menu.

Ummmm, I'm guessing that this is in response to my post? If not I'm sorry! I guarantee you that my plan is the best plan for HIM. Now I would never have done this for my daughter and it's not the best plan for many kids....but for mine, it's the best choice. We do restaurants 3 nights per week and home dinners 4 nights (and rarely go to the chain restaurants that serve nothing but junk, unadventurous food). I also tried to expand both of my childrens' palettes as babies by never giving them store bought baby food (I always puréed the meals that we were eating and fed them that). This worked for my oldest as she now loves things such as escargot, sashimi, ceviche, lamb, veggies, etc (just need to be prepared the way she likes them). But my son, on the other hand, still is extremely picky and would literally not eat a thing if he didn't like it (yes I bring Ensure cans when on vacation for him). I have been vigilantly looking at the menus for our upcoming cruise and I can guarantee you that he will not eat in the MDR no matter what I do. You say take him to the lido deck "AFTER" the MDR. I am single traveling with my 2 kids....my son is Only 4 (you want me to take him to the MDR for an hour or more of waiting through a meal where I know he won't eat anything there?).....he does not do well sitting and waiting in restaurants so he will be disturbing other guests....he loves kids camps and would prefer to eat quickly and go do something that he considers to be fun....you suggest that I feed him "after the MDR"? As I said earlier, that is the plan for my 11 year old if she needs more food but there is not a snowball's chance in hell that I'm gonna make my little 4 year old wait that long to eat every night. We have family dinners together all throughout the year at home or at restaurants....what exactly is wrong with feeding him at Lido first so that he can eat what he wants and the rest of the PAX and my daughter and I can have some peace while eating at the MDR?

Edited by Thrilled2012

Lol, gotta love kids and their picky eating habits! I hope your son (and mine) love Camp Ocean too! Looks like a nice program. You are so lucky that he likes pizza. I'm a"jersey girl" and it's like enjoying pizza is in my blood. But neither of my kids will eat it. Makes me so sad because I would LOVE to do pizza nights with my kids a couple of times per month (cheap, easy and yummy!). Oh well...maybe someday :p

I ). I told him if he wanted to be adventurous and try something different, he wouldn’t be forced to eat anything he didn’t like and could get something else. He ended up eating something he had never tried before every night. Only twice ordered something he wouldn’t eat.[/quote]

We've used the same tactic on my son who can be pretty picky because he has sensory issues. Some foods (meat in particular) kinda weirds him out..except for hotdogs, sometimes chicken nuggets and (oddly enough) Guy's burgers (though he won't eat burgers at home unless he's really, REALLY like way beyond hungry). He likes a few of the desserts on the regular menu, although I'd have to say Creme Brulee' is his favorite. He doesn't eat all of..he's not a big sweets fan..but he'll eat enough of it that I don't feel guilty about wasting food.

Sounds like a perfect kids menu to me! My little one is super picky and although she is even picky with mac and cheese and pasta, I know that she'll eat something! Pasta no sauce, no butter, no oil, no parsley....just plain noodles. She'll be happy. I'm sure they are used to picky eaters! Thank you for posting that menu!

Pasta no sauce??????? Your baby pickier than mine lol

Pasta no sauce??????? Your baby pickier than mine lol

Sent from my SM

Mine is the same way. On the rare occasion that my guy will eat pasta (only thin spaghetti or macaroni) then it must be plain. No butter, tomato based sauce, cream/cheese based sauce, no meat or veggies in his pasta (although he will eat some meat and veggies separately). He will, sometimes, eat the plain pasta only with a bit of sea salt and cracked black pepper. Odd!

Ummmm, I'm guessing that this is in response to my post? If not I'm sorry! I guarantee you that my plan is the best plan for HIM. Now I would never have done this for my daughter and it's not the best plan for many kids....but for mine, it's the best choice. We do restaurants 3 nights per week and home dinners 4 nights (and rarely go to the chain restaurants that serve nothing but junk, unadventurous food). I also tried to expand both of my childrens' palettes as babies by never giving them store bought baby food (I always puréed the meals that we were eating and fed them that). This worked for my oldest as she now loves things such as escargot, sashimi, ceviche, lamb, veggies, etc (just need to be prepared the way she likes them). But my son, on the other hand, still is extremely picky and would literally not eat a thing if he didn't like it (yes I bring Ensure cans when on vacation for him). I have been vigilantly looking at the menus for our upcoming cruise and I can guarantee you that he will not eat in the MDR no matter what I do. You say take him to the lido deck "AFTER" the MDR. I am single traveling with my 2 kids....my son is Only 4 (you want me to take him to the MDR for an hour or more of waiting through a meal where I know he won't eat anything there?).....he does not do well sitting and waiting in restaurants so he will be disturbing other guests....he loves kids camps and would prefer to eat quickly and go do something that he considers to be fun....you suggest that I feed him "after the MDR"? As I said earlier, that is the plan for my 11 year old if she needs more food but there is not a snowball's chance in hell that I'm gonna make my little 4 year old wait that long to eat every night. We have family dinners together all throughout the year at home or at restaurants....what exactly is wrong with feeding him at Lido first so that he can eat what he wants and the rest of the PAX and my daughter and I can have some peace while eating at the MDR?

Another mom traveling by herself with kids. I thought I was an anomoly!!!!

I ). I told him if he wanted to be adventurous and try something different, he wouldn’t be forced to eat anything he didn’t like and could get something else. He ended up eating something he had never tried before every night. Only twice ordered something he wouldn’t eat.[/quote]

We've used the same tactic on my son who can be pretty picky because he has sensory issues. Some foods (meat in particular) kinda weirds him out..except for hotdogs, sometimes chicken nuggets and (oddly enough) Guy's burgers (though he won't eat burgers at home unless he's really, REALLY like way beyond hungry). He likes a few of the desserts on the regular menu, although I'd have to say Creme Brulee' is his favorite. He doesn't eat all of..he's not a big sweets fan..but he'll eat enough of it that I don't feel guilty about wasting food.

Also due to sensory issues, the only meat my son will eat is bacon. What are the odds of getting him a plate of bacon in the MDR each night?

Another mom traveling by herself with kids. I thought I was an anomoly!!!!

Sent from my SM

You are not an anomaly! LOL, there are many of us! You didn't mention that you were travelling single in your initial post. Now I totally understand your concern about the menu (not that I wouldn't have understood it if you were not travelling single with him....just makes even more sense now). It is a blessing for us to spend this time on a vacation with our kids....but its not easy. I am always sure to research things like menus ahead of time....as it can have a major effect on our day/evening (its not like we have another adult to assist with our kids if our initial plan doesn't work). You will be just fine I'm sure. Yours is older than mine so he can probably wait a bit after MDR for other food if necessary....but I hope that is not needed!! I wish you guys a fantastic cruise!!!

Edited by Thrilled2012

Lol, gotta love kids and their picky eating habits! I hope your son (and mine) love Camp Ocean too! Looks like a nice program. You are so lucky that he likes pizza. I'm a"jersey girl" and it's like enjoying pizza is in my blood. But neither of my kids will eat it. Makes me so sad because I would LOVE to do pizza nights with my kids a couple of times per month (cheap, easy and yummy!). Oh well...maybe someday :p

When your kid wants pizza each and every Friday, trust me the thrill is totally gone LOL

We are from Chicago so this is definitely a pizza city.

My son is an only child so he is going to Camp Ocean at least twice. Hopefully he enjoys and many new friends to play on the waterslides with.

[quote name=Thrilled2012;52669286

You are not an anomaly! LOL' date=' there are many of us! You didn't mention that you were travelling single in your initial post. Now I totally understand your concern about the menu (not that I wouldn't have understood it if you were not travelling single with him....just makes even more sense now). It is a blessing for us to spend this time on a vacation with our kids....but its not easy. I am always sure to research things like menus ahead of time....as it can have a major effect on our day/evening (its not like we have another adult to assist with our kids if our initial plan doesn't work). You will be just fine I'm sure. Yours is older than mine so he can probably wait a bit after MDR for other food if necessary....but I hope that is not needed!! I wish you guys a fantastic cruise!!![/quote]

Yes its just The Boy and I. He is a big snacker so im prepared for that. Our firstbcruuse he had justbturned 4. We ate in the MDR but he was able to get fruit and fried chicken and rice. He HATED the kids club. This time he turns 7 on the boat but his palate has gotten pickier. Textures, snells, and feels just sends him over.

When did kids get like this? When I was a kid my mom cooked and you ate. Thats it, thats all LOL

When your kid wants pizza each and every Friday, trust me the thrill is totally gone LOL

We are from Chicago so this is definitely a pizza city.

My son is an only child so he is going to Camp Ocean at least twice. Hopefully he enjoys and many new friends to play on the waterslides with.

Sent from my SM

Yummm! The original Pizzaria Unos in Chicago is my fav! Don't tell my east coast friends/family that though :evilsmile:. I seriously could eat pizza at least twice per week for dinner, no kidding. Since my kids won't eat it, I go for pizza for lunch with coworkers at least that often.

If your son likes Camp Ocean then I am sure he will go at least twice. On NCL I had to MAKE my son leave the ship with us for ports! He went every day for a bit and if it were up to him, he would have stayed ALL day! He would cry when I told him that I wanted him to come with us for a family day off of the ship. My older daughter also would probably prefer to stay on the ship in the club but she is old enough to understand that its not gonna happen so she doesn't even ask. Spoiled kids live at the beach and go to St Maarten for a few weeks each winter so they are not tempted by beaches lol. In addition to working hard to feed my kids on a cruise I also have to plan excursions in port that are not too "beachy". Ugh