Hurricane talk

mamamzee

We are booked for a 4 night cruise, leaving Port Can. on Sept 5--right in hurricane season. We live in Florida and know that but we're taking our chances. Questions: 1) Will the ship still go out and try to avoid the storm? 2) Might they even cancel? 3)If DCL cancels, I assume there is a refund?

Probably won't ever happen but what if

We are booked for a 4 night cruise, leaving Port Can. on Sept 5--right in hurricane season. We live in Florida and know that but we're taking our chances. Questions: 1) Will the ship still go out and try to avoid the storm? 2) Might they even cancel? 3)If DCL cancels, I assume there is a refund?

Probably won't ever happen but what if

We've done many September cruises. What will happen depends on the circumstances. "3" is easy. If DCL cancels, you get a full refund.

We had one cruise when Port Canaveral was closed. DCL provided transportation to Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) and both the Magic and Wonder departed from there. We were offered the ability to do that or to get a full refund. We've been on cruises where a port stop had to be canceled. DCL will try to arrange another stop if possible and will alter the planned cruise as little as possible, but will cruise around the hurricane.

There are recent horror stories of the ships catching the tail end of the hurricane/rough winds and seas as they came into Port Canaveral. Again, this involved 2 ships but was the same storm. I don't expect to see that happen again.

Other things I'm aware of--a cruise being brought in a day early (again, partial refund given + discount on a future booking) so guests could get off before storm hit. The ship was then taken out to sea to keep her safe. Another time, a 7 night cruise became 10 nights as the ship went to Galveston. Guests could disembark there or return to Port Canaveral.

When this stuff happens....if you bought air thru DCL, you are rebooked at no charge. If you bought privately, DCL does assist you in making arrangements, but any extra charges...well, that's what trip insurance is for. I realize that in your case it doesn't matter,but others might care.

In each case that involves us, for a shortened cruise, DCL offered a significant refund OR the ability to cancel for a full refund. It was our choice to do the shortened cruise or not.

They talk about it all the time...just because it's the "season" doesn't mean a thing!

Yes, technically "the season" is 6 months long. Most of the time, fall cruises are just fine with no weather impact. In fact, September is our favorite cruise month. The weather is warm but not horribly humid and the ocean is warm.

Yes' date=' technically "the season" is 6 months long. Most of the time, fall cruises are just fine with no weather impact. In fact, September is our favorite cruise month. The weather is warm but not horribly humid and the ocean is warm.[/quote']

Yeap This!:D