Overnight package in Cairo

PK6757

We will be on the Sept 16 Mariner sailing from Istanbul to Istanbul. We are debating whether to take the overnight package in Cairo. Given the cost and our interests, we are unsure its a good value for us. I have been to Cairo previously so this destination is not a top interest of mine. My wife has not been so its important to her; however as I know her interests, I"m not sure the added sightseeing the overnight will be of much value. Also, she is a picky eater (largely vegetarian) so I'm guessing the hotel food won't be as satisfying as being back on the ship. Lastly, we are not late night partiers, so I'm thinking the night in Cairo not a big attraction for us. Am I missing something? At this point we are thinking the added cost isn't worth the primary benefit of avoiding a return bus ride the same day. Welcome your thoughts.

Depends on your risk tolerance. In case you haven't heard, Oceania recently cancelled its stops in Egypt (Alexandria and Port Said for Cairo) due to the risk of terrorism. We went to Cyprus and Alanya, Turkey instead. There have been attacks on Egyptian police at Giza and Luxor, and an explosive device was recently detonated at Luxor. To say nothing of what has been occurring in other countries in that part of the world. The bet is that Regent will changes those stops too.

I am on this same cruise, and I have been hoping they would cancel the Egypt ports and give us an extra day in Israel. If they don't, George and I are going to take Port Said as an extra "sea day". In Alexandria, we do want to see the library.

So if the cancel the stops in Egypt and I signed up for the overnight in Cairo - can I expect that I would get that extra overnight charge back?

Yes, you would get that back. Same as any other paid extra excursion. If the excursion is cancelled, you get your money back.

Just in case the stop in Egypt is possible on your cruise -

We did a Regent post-cruise to Luxor and Cairo in 2012 and had a great time. The food was abundant and fresh with fruits and vegetables better than what we get in Florida. There was wonderful freshly baked pita. A vegetarian would love his/her choices.

Security was tight and we were well looked after. The hotel offered a fair amount to do and we stayed in at night, as our guide suggested. The guide was brilliant and the people friendly. This was midway through the Morsi presidency and there was a fair amount of political tension at the time.

We would definitely return to Egypt if conditions stabilize in the region.

We have had the same experience, but that was 7 years ago.

By the way, Oceania did NOT add another night in Haifa, much to the displeasure of the passengers. We got Cyprus instead; that's the equivalent of the Dodgers trading Clayton Kershaw for a mediocre minor league player...