Roommate Cancellation.....Cheers?

LAKingsFan

I've searched for this answer but most replies are at least a year old.

I just found out that my traveling companion will not be going. My sailing date is very soon and have exhausted my options for a replacement. Losing the fare is fine. A total non-issue.

From what I've read, I should not cancel, just allow my guest to be a no show? I'm with that, no problem.

What do I do with the pre-purchased Cheers package? Can I cancel once I board?

Thanks in advance

According to carnival Ts&Cs if Cheers has been purchased prior to sailing it's refundable up to 11:59pm ET, on the evening before the cruise. :)

Not sure how far out you are, but depending on how your fare was booked, if your companion's fare is fully refundable they can cancel. You will be charged a single supplement but they would be refunded their fare. If that's the case, the person cancelling can cancel Cheers and yours can remain in tact.

If their fare is not refundable, they should be a no show. If they cancel, they would get nothing back, AND you will still be charged a single supplement, so you'd be paying 3x the fare for one person. If they no show, Cheers should be cancelled for both of you before the cruise. They won't let you cancel for just one if two are still booked. You can always pay the extra $5 to sign up for it onboard. More expensive than ordering in advance, but cheaper than paying double.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by E&B

I just found out that my traveling companion will not be going. My sailing date is very soon and have exhausted my options for a replacement. Losing the fare is fine. A total non-issue.

From what I've read, I should not cancel, just allow my guest to be a no show? I'm with that, no problem.

Thanks in advance

Are you asking if you can cancel for just your companion?

Not once on board as it is non-refundable at that point.

If you cancel on line it will cancel for both.

I am curious as to whether they will let you purchase just for yourself after you board and your companion is a no show. (It still says two are in your cabin) Common sense says yes, they will, but we know where common sense went in relation to Cheers and Carnival! ;)

If they're going to have the other passenger as a no-show they can't cancel cheers because both people in the cabin have to have it. That's a tricky one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. But even with the extra $5 if purchased on board, if OP is paying, it would work out to be less expensive.

Not sure how far out you are, but depending on how your fare was booked, if your companion's fare is fully refundable they can cancel. You will be charged a single supplement but they would be refunded their fare. If that's the case, the person cancelling can cancel Cheers and yours can remain in tact.

If their fare is not refundable, they should be a no show. If they cancel, they would get nothing back, AND you will still be charged a single supplement, so you'd be paying 3x the fare for one person. If they no show, Cheers should be cancelled for both of you before the cruise. They won't let you cancel for just one if two are still booked. You can always pay the extra $5 to sign up for it onboard. More expensive than ordering in advance, but cheaper than paying double.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounded like that person paid for both because they said it was a non issue. It sounds unfair to lose cheers for a solo, but I guess that's what it is from what I read.

Thanks in advance

You can cancel both Cheers now and then you can purchase it once onboard. The onboard cost is higher so consider that before you make your decision. Purchased online Cheers is $49.95 per day plus gratuity and onboard Cheers is $54.95 per day plus gratuity.

Carnival says: "CHEERS! is non-refundable; if the program is purchased prior to the cruise, it is refundable up to 11:59pm ET, the evening prior to the cruise departure."

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

And you are correct--let the person be a no-show. If you tell Carnival they can charge you an additional solo supplement that could be as much as 100% of the fare you already paid.

You can cancel both Cheers now and then you can purchase it once onboard. The onboard cost is higher so consider that before you make your decision. Purchased online Cheers is $49.95 per day plus gratuity and onboard Cheers is $54.95 per day plus gratuity.

Carnival says: "CHEERS! is non-refundable; if the program is purchased prior to the cruise, it is refundable up to 11:59pm ET, the evening prior to the cruise departure."

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

And you are correct--let the person be a no-show. If you tell Carnival they can charge you an additional solo supplement that could be as much as 100% of the fare you already paid.

Thank you all for the responses. Much appreciated.

I sail within a few days so I get no refund and that's ok.

One last question and thanks in advance for answering:

I'm planning on the no show, not cancelling. I will cancel the Cheers package and plan on paying a bit more when I board. That's a good idea. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

So my next question is, if I purchase Cheers when I board, won't they know that I have two booked in my cabin and charge me for two? Sorry for the questions. I'm not new to cruising, just this particular issue...never had to do anything like this. Would I be better off waiting until after sailaway to purchase it?

Thank you all for the responses. Much appreciated.

I sail within a few days so I get no refund and that's ok.

One last question and thanks in advance for answering:

I'm planning on the no show, not cancelling. I will cancel the Cheers package and plan on paying a bit more when I board. That's a good idea. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

So my next question is, if I purchase Cheers when I board, won't they know that I have two booked in my cabin and charge me for two? Sorry for the questions. I'm not new to cruising, just this particular issue...never had to do anything like this. Would I be better off waiting until after sailaway to purchase it?

Wait until sailaway, so that there would no chance of the person boarding at the last minute. They will be marked as a no-show. You can then purchase Cheers for one.