Never ever buy EFFY jewerely

pisces68

I am sorry, didn't know where I should post this but felt that I had to at least try to get the word out. I have never bought jewelry onboard a ship but I fell in love with a diamond/tanzanite ring that I just had to have. I am now heartbroken. Just got off the Carnival Splendor. Due to my persistence, my husband broke down and got me my dream ring. It originally cost $2700 but Kevin gave us such a great 'dea'l at $1500. They swore up and down, if ANYTHNG happens to this ring, defect or loss of stone, EFFY will replace it, blah blah blah... Nothing has ever happened to one ring I've ever owned. I've been home 2 days... the prong broke and the stone is gone!! :-( We've been on phone with EFFY 2 hrs. They don't guarantee loss of stones and said I must have done something for the prong to break. We got passed to literally 12 different people all saying, oh I don't have a boss, I report directly to Mr. Effy. I will not give up this fight but I honestly wanted to let people know PLEASE don't buy jewelry from the ship but especially DONT BUY EFFY PRODUCTS!!! Thank you for listening.

I am sorry, didn't know where I should post this but felt that I had to at least try to get the word out. I have never bought jewelry onboard a ship but I fell in love with a diamond/tanzanite ring that I just had to have. I am now heartbroken. Just got off the Carnival Splendor. Due to my persistence, my husband broke down and got me my dream ring. It originally cost $2700 but Kevin gave us such a great 'dea'l at $1500. They swore up and down, if ANYTHNG happens to this ring, defect or loss of stone, EFFY will replace it, blah blah blah... Nothing has ever happened to one ring I've ever owned. I've been home 2 days... the prong broke and the stone is gone!! :-( We've been on phone with EFFY 2 hrs. They don't guarantee loss of stones and said I must have done something for the prong to break. We got passed to literally 12 different people all saying, oh I don't have a boss, I report directly to Mr. Effy. I will not give up this fight but I honestly wanted to let people know PLEASE don't buy jewelry from the ship but especially DONT BUY EFFY PRODUCTS!!! Thank you for listening.

EFFY product is affordable and good quality . I use this company product for many years never had a problem.

Wow, sorry you are having such an issue. We have had tennis bracelet repaired ( including a missing stone) and had a opal redone as well due to damage from normal wear and tear.

They have never given us any problems, just a simple phone call, and we are shipping out the product for work.

I hope you find someone who will help you.

Wow, sorry you are having such an issue. We have had tennis bracelet repaired ( including a missing stone) and had a opal redone as well due to damage from normal wear and tear.

They have never given us any problems, just a simple phone call, and we are shipping out the product for work.

I hope you find someone who will help you.

Do you remember who or what number you called to talk to? We called the number that was on back on the receipt where it says to place a claim. I really need someone there to help. Honestly, all those people we spoke to said No, I don't have a manager, I report directly to Mr. Effy. Any names/phone numbers that were able to help you would be so much appreciated.

EFFY product is affordable and good quality . I use this company product for many years never had a problem.

I wish I was lucky as you. For $2700 I would think it was good quality and the prong wouldn't just break off after less than a week of wearing it :-(

Do you remember who or what number you called to talk to? We called the number that was on back on the receipt where it says to place a claim. I really need someone there to help. Honestly, all those people we spoke to said No, I don't have a manager, I report directly to Mr. Effy. Any names/phone numbers that were able to help you would be so much appreciated.

I wish I could be more helpful here. It was 3 or 4 years ago. I was told while in St Marteen in the store to call the number of the website, 1.877.275.3339 and that they would work with us. I am sure you probably have already tried this.. but the website is http://www.effyjewelry.com/contacts/

Thanks everyone. I wont give up. It IS supposed to have a Lifetime Warranty. Its written right on the back of the receipt. The so called 'manager' who claims he answered to no one but Mr. Effy directly says that's not true, its not lifetime. What??? It says it right here. After talking to a couple of more employees we finally got the head of customer service and found out that she IS that guys boss, so by him saying that he's in big trouble (so she says) But anyway, she also says that because Tanzanite is so "rare" they don't usually replace the stone but after insisting 'Well, if the prong didn't break off then I wouldn't have lost the stone' she said she'll at least see what she can do since it does sound like a defect. She asked if we had it sized. I said Yes, Carnival sent it out to Effy in Aruba. She was real silent. She said sometimes when they size rings, it loosens stones. But that's not my fault. I sure hope they do the right thing. Unfortuntely, this ruined me ever buying jewelry on a cruise.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up so they can make their own decisions. I am happy for those that have had good luck with them but I just wish I knew about all the other people that have had this happen to them (I am now reading/hearing a lot about it)...before I spent all that money on it . Hard lesson learned.

I hope it works out and they do the right thing by you. If not, try your homeowners/renters insurance to see if they will cover (pay the deductible of course) but it may give you something back especially if you still have receipt. Do you have anything that states the original appraisal price? That may work in your favor if you do have something or can get something from the company that made the ring stating the higher price.

Good Luck!

I hope it works out and they do the right thing by you. If not, try your homeowners/renters insurance to see if they will cover (pay the deductible of course) but it may give you something back especially if you still have receipt. Do you have anything that states the original appraisal price? That may work in your favor if you do have something or can get something from the company that made the ring stating the higher price.

Good Luck!

You know, I was wondering if homeowners could/would cover it somehow. We do have it but I've never had to use it, fortunately. I do have the receipt, its less than a week old and I do have the appraisal. If EFFY doesn't help, I'll call my insurance and see what they say. Thank you!

It's been a long time since I attended a cruise ship shopping seminar but I do remember the shopping guide saying that if you bought jewelry at one of the stores featured in the seminar that they would stand behind the product too. Effy I'd always a featurd store.. Maybe you can find out who the shopping guide was on your cruise and see if they can help you fight this battle.

Good luck!!

If you have made a good faith effort to resolve your issue, and they still wont honor their terms, call your credit card issuer. They may be able to dispute the charge for you, however they may not be able to do anything. If your attempts with the merchant fail, give it a shot.

It's been a long time since I attended a cruise ship shopping seminar but I do remember the shopping guide saying that if you bought jewelry at one of the stores featured in the seminar that they would stand behind the product too. Effy I'd always a featurd store.. Maybe you can find out who the shopping guide was on your cruise and see if they can help you fight this battle.

Good luck!!

I was just fixing to ask about this same thing!! It has always been my understanding they back them for 30 days or something like that. I would be calling Carnival and inquiring about this promise.

I am not surprised at your story and I think Carnival and Effy guarantees their product. Be persistent. For the reasons and experience you stated, I would never purchase anything like that on a cruise ship or any where that I do not have recourse. I hope you either get your money back or have the ring repaired or replaced. You've got a tough road ahead of you - be persistent!

This link might help you!

http://www.highya.com/effy-jewelry-reviews

Allegations Against Effy Jewelry

Effy Jewelry came under attack when a gemologist contracted by Macy’s (one of Effy Jewelry’s partner retailers) noticed that the stones being sold under the Effy Jewelry brand were sub-par (the article is available here).

The initial focus was on Effy Jewelry’s rubies. Rubies are the second hardest stone, only slightly less so than diamonds, and have become increasingly rare since Burmese mines were shut down in the early 2000s. Gem dealers found an alternative source of rubies in Africa, but the stones were of lesser quality than Burmese rubies, filled with fissures.

Effy Jewelry is accused of adding leaded glass to the poor quality stones, then treating them with heat to enhance their color and presentation. The Jeweler’s Association states that these rubies are not “real” as they fall short of the durability offered by a genuine stone.

Even more disturbing, when these artificially enhanced stones, called “treated rubies” “enhanced rubies,” “composite rubies,” or “hybrid gemstones,” are heated, the filling may leak out, causing the composited shards of inferior ruby to shatter.

To the naked eye of an ordinary consumer, there is no visible difference. However, fine jewelry is often considered an investment that will last many generations while holding its value — a promise these composited and treated stones can’t uphold.

Furthermore, in a piece exploring the topic of composite rubies, Good Morning America interviewed experts who say these composite rubies are too fragile to even clean using normal methods, and may also experience color fading over time. As such, they are worth only a fraction of the stones they represent.

In the class action lawsuit against Macy’s, many consumers stated feeling duped that they were presented with items of a supposed high-value, which upon inspection by gemologists, turned out to be nearly worthless. An article explaining the case can be found here.

Additional allegations were that Macy’s (supplied by Effy Jewelry) knowingly sold the following without disclosing the additional, potentially devaluing, information to their customers:

Rubies that were composites or filled with glass or lead filled glass;

Stones were being passed as untreated “green amethyst,” when in fact this stone was actually Praseolite (a heated form of quartz). Only purple amethyst is natural, real amethyst, and therefore of a much higher value;

Sapphires were fracture filled with glass;

Black sapphires were being passed off as “black diamonds”;

Many diamonds were enhanced by laser drilling or filing of surface cavities and fractures with a hardened substance;

Diamonds were irradiated or heated to induce color and then represented to be natural black diamonds.

A broadcast report of the investigation of composite rubies by Good Morning America can be found here.

While some of the articles do not directly name Effy Jewelry as the supplier to Macy’s, Lord and Taylor, and the other stores in question, details from a dissatisfied customer who purchased directly through Effy Jewelry can be found here.

Edited by elliair

I am sorry, didn't know where I should post this but felt that I had to at least try to get the word out. I have never bought jewelry onboard a ship but ....... PLEASE don't buy jewelry from the ship but especially DONT BUY EFFY PRODUCTS!!! Thank you for listening.

I just re-read your post and I think I missed something ... it sounds like you purchased this on-board the ship. If that is true I would most definitely contact CARNIVAL especially since you have only been home a few days and it looks like you have some status.

Good luck!!

Thank you! That's a great idea. I think his name was Ryan but I'll call Carnival in the morning and maybe they can get me his email address. I purchased a few things he spoke highly of during his seminar. Maybe he can help. Thanks again!

If you have made a good faith effort to resolve your issue, and they still wont honor their terms, call your credit card issuer. They may be able to dispute the charge for you, however they may not be able to do anything. If your attempts with the merchant fail, give it a shot.

Another good idea. See, I am glad I posted this. I've been so mad, sad, disappointed I wouldn't have thought of these things. Thank you. Worth a shot.

I was just fixing to ask about this same thing!! It has always been my understanding they back them for 30 days or something like that. I would be calling Carnival and inquiring about this promise.

Both my husband and I made separate calls to Carnival today about it and both reps said, Unfortunetly you'll need to deal with EFFY directly.

But guess what, I'll be calling back tomorrow re-iterating that I bought the EFFY product onboard, in case they both missed that part. They're going to be so sick of hearing from me but I don't care. Fingers crossed.

That is why we NEVER buy jewelry or watches on a ship.