What is the tipping culture in Mexico?

maui07

Okay...I want to start this by saying that I am truly confused on this question. I grew up in SE Washington where we have a very large Hispanic population. Hispanics here (I've worked as a waitress prior/during/after my college days-trust me this is TRUE! 90% of the time here) are known as "non tippers" because they say that is their culture, as in they don't tip in Mexico. I also have many Hispanic friends from Mexico that say the same thing. So my question is, why are we expected to tip when we visit Mexico if the culture is "non tipping?" Ill be going on a Mexican Riviera cruise next week and I will be tipping but it has always baffled me. Seems strange. Do people only tip in the tourist areas in Mexico because of all the American visitors? Have they just gotten used to Americans tipping them? Seems like the cliff divers, bartenders, boat staff, wait staff, gas station attendants, even kids are begging for tips everywhere I turn.

In Puerto Vallarta and in many other places I have been in Mexico the salary is extremely low. People really depend on tips to get a better income. In some places they can only make a decend income part of the year in highseason. So please tip as you would in the USA. Also remember often your meals etc. will be much cheaper then in the USA, Canada or Europe, so even if you tip more it still will be cheaper.

We've traveled to non-tourist destinations in Mexico and tipping is expected at restaurants and establishments where tipping is customary in the US. The main difference that I've noticed is that the "suggested" tip is usually lower than in the US (for example, many receipts will show a suggested tip beginning at 10%).

Not Mexico, but hopefully this will shed more light on tipping practices in the Latinamerican culture. I grew up in a small town on the west coast of Puerto Rico. While tipping was always expected at restaurants, it wasn't expected when ordering drinks at bars. However, in San Juan tipping customs were more in tune with what you're used to in the US mainland. I always remember the first time that I tipped at bartender in my hometown. He looked at it and asked me "what's this for?"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We eat at small places, like restaurants in the mercados and 'one step above a street stall'. Most of these places have a 'Propio' (sp) (tips) jar on the counter.

The one thing we've had to get used to it giving the market/Walmart bagger a few pesos.

We eat at small places, like restaurants in the mercados and 'one step above a street stall'. Most of these places have a 'Propio' (sp) (tips) jar on the counter.

The one thing we've had to get used to it giving the market/Walmart bagger a few pesos.

Propino= tip indeed.

It is custom to tip indeed baggers at supermarket. Just 5 or 10 Pesos depending how much you bought.

Often it is done by seniors, sometimes also by students, to have a better income.

I often inform people about this in the supermaket as many tourists indeed donot know this.

Propino= tip indeed.

It is custom to tip indeed baggers at supermarket. Just 5 or 10 Pesos depending how much you bought.

Often it is done by seniors, sometimes also by students, to have a better income.

I often inform people about this in the supermaket as many tourists indeed donot know this.

We found out by watching locals in front of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums