Cruising out of New Orleans on the Dream.

smjlt

Another cruise in the planning but this time we are leaving out of New Orleans and we have never sailed from this port. Please Any helpful hints, great ideas, and suggestions are much appreciated! 😁

We've cruised from NOLA twice...number three is already booked. It's a great town, as long as you're not there during a certain "fat" time of year. I'd suggest you spend a few days there either before or after the cruise. The Audobon Zoo is among the best anywhere (just my opinion). The food is...I shouldn't even have to mention food, should I? The World War II museum is a must see...plan on at least half a day there. The French Quarter. The music. I could go on and on, but I'll let others chime in on their favourite things to do there.

I've sailed from NOLA twice, drove 10 hours each way both times. And I agree, go a few days early to enjoy NOLA and "get in the party mood"!

The last time we drove down (2014) we drove as far south of NOLA as we could go. To the end of the road, so to speak. I was amazed by the amount of concrete slabs left, a remnant of Hurricane Katrina. Slabs everywhere, no homes or businesses to replace the slabs in many cases. It was a good scenic drive, we are from the Carolinas so it was a different experience and it gives you a good sense of the river that you will be on the night you depart as you meander beside it for the entire duration. We stopped at Fort Jackson (from the Civil War, highly recommended) and it would have been a perfect spot for a picnic.

Enjoy your cruise. And get ready to hear these two things a lot. WHODAT and BOOMSHAKALAKA!

New Orleans is my favorite city! It's amazing there if you have time time to tour. As for the terminal, they are really efficient at Port of N.O. and we have always gotten through the lines and onto the ship quickly. Sailing down the Mississippi is an awesome experience and there is a lot to see on the river. Enjoy, you're going to fall in love with New Orleans!!!

Stay one night in the French Quarter and enjoy the local food and atmosphere. Wake up the next morning, go to Jackson Square, look at all of the local artists' work set up there, eat beignets at the world famous Cafe Du Monde, and then drive to the port and park in Fulton Garage. It is right across from the port and considerably less than parking at port.

New Orleans is my favorite Southern city. Do try to spend a few days there. I've saved a fortune booking hotels on Priceline Express, choose either Downtown or French Quarter. Love Felix's Oyster bar, Jesters Daquiris, Kingfish & many others. I'm headed there in June, I just love breathing the air there. The city has the most unique vibe of anywhere I've ever been.

The Wyndham on Royal is a great location. One block off Bourbon and one block from the street car route. Reasonable prices. They usually have a park and ride where if you stay one night you can leave the car there for the whole cruise. Unfortunately, there is a festival before and after our cruise this year, so not sure what we are going to do LOL

• 2 weeks later...

We've cruised out of New Orleans three times and will again, but we don't love the city. A day is plenty for us. The port is amazingly efficient and the people are super friendly!

I've never dropped off bags early though. We arrive at our checkin time and it's probably half an hour to get on the ship. Sorry I can't help you there!

If flying into port, stay at Hilton Riverside. Catch a cab from airport to hotel. Hotel is connected to the mall which is right at the port. Easy 7 minute walk through the mall to the port.

If you're driving park at Fulton garage. Cheapest cruise parking in town. Book online.

Use priceline express to find a hotel or hotwire. They usually have great rates. Beware of over night parking at hotels. Most run about $30 a night.

If you drive drop off all your stuff at hotel, Hilton Riverside and then go and park at Fulton garage to save $$.

Arrive a day or 2 early to enjoy NOLA. Go to Dragos for chargrilled oysters. Must see WW II museum, ride street car, hop on hop off bus, mardi gras museum, get a poboy, Jackson square, cemetery tour, eat some beignets, walk bourbon st so you can say you did it.

Wear comfy shoes. There's a lot of walking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this thread... looking into booking Carnival Dream April 1st next year and was nervous about leaving from this port. Sounds like it will be neat... anyone have any idea how airfare prices compare to flying to Florida?

Why on Earth would you be nervous

Well I was all set to leave from Galveston one time and then heard it's not the greatest port leave from if you're flying in etc. fog problems, additional travel costs etc.

You do know Galveston and New Orleans are different cities right

You do know Galveston and New Orleans are different cities right

And different states, too!!!! :D

I am from New Orleans and I have sailed out of N.O. several times and I absolutely love it. The Mississippi River is amazing. It takes about 9 hours to get to the Gulf of Mexico.

The port is in the heart of the city & is about 17 miles (driving) from the airport, so you really cannot compare to Galveston since most people fly to Houston to sail out of Galveston.

There is quite a bit of information in the New Orleans section, too, on Cruise Critic under Ports of Call. New Orleans is both a departure port and a port. We were just a stop on an around the world cruise earlier this month. I highly recommend the WWII museum. If you have children, I recommend both the Audubon Aquarium (next door to the port) and the Audubon Zoo. The LA. Children's Museum is also very good for kids under 12 or so (although my adult son would be happy to still go). There are excellent restaurant everywhere. I recommend www.nomenu.com for reviews.

Easter is on April 1 in 2018. There are Easter parades in the French Quarter - I think they start in the morning.

And different states, too!!!! :D

I am from New Orleans and I have sailed out of N.O. several times and I absolutely love it. The Mississippi River is amazing. It takes about 9 hours to get to the Gulf of Mexico.

The port is in the heart of the city & is about 17 miles (driving) from the airport, so you really cannot compare to Galveston since most people fly to Houston to sail out of Galveston.

There is quite a bit of information in the New Orleans section, too, on Cruise Critic under Ports of Call. New Orleans is both a departure port and a port. We were just a stop on an around the world cruise earlier this month. I highly recommend the WWII museum. If you have children, I recommend both the Audubon Aquarium (next door to the port) and the Audubon Zoo. The LA. Children's Museum is also very good for kids under 12 or so (although my adult son would be happy to still go). There are excellent restaurant everywhere. I recommend www.nomenu.com for reviews.

Easter is on April 1 in 2018. There are Easter parades in the French Quarter - I think they start in the morning.

There is some question as to whether or not Texas is an actual state