St Petersburg tour question for Regent Baltic cruises

I tried to book more than one tour per day in St Petersburg but Regent won't allow it even with over an hour between tour end times. I booked the Catherine's Palace tour, the Peterhof tour and the Hermitage tour but I really want to see the Spilt Blood church and some of the city. Is the answer to book through a tour operator or will I be able to add other tours on the ship? I was thinking about the 3 day tours from either SPb, Alla or TJ. Given that it's my first time there would the independent tour be much more thorough?

Thanks for your recommendations :D

The first time we visited St Petersburg, we hired a private guide and driver for all 3 days. This was before included tours. We were able to see everything we wanted and more.

The second time, we did included tours. While they technically would not allow you to book more than one a day on the website, we were able to book additional ones onboard. One day, we used our significant OBC to hire a private van and driver for us and 3 other friends, and that was probably the best day by far. The included tours were fine, but the smaller groups are obviously better plus you can see more in a short amount of time.

We booked Alla Tours when we were in St. Petersburg. You can book full or half days and set your itinerary. I personally would not take Regent included excursions in St. Petersburg as I feel that, in this particular port, small groups are much better (plus you can stay as each site as long as you like).

In our experience Regent's website does not handle multiple tours on the same day very easily.

Simplest way is to ring the Regent office and they will sort it out for you.

Many on this Board will recommend using an independent tour operator but we found the Regent excursions in St Petersburg to be very good

Thanks all - I do think I will book one of the 3 day tours because of the smaller group size for one thing. And because of a computer glitch I had to book through the Regent office and they told me I couldn't get the tours I wanted ahead of the cruise because of the time problem. They suggested I ask when I got on the ship, but I want it all sorted out beforehand, given that the cathedrals tour that I wanted to add will probably be full to overflowing anyway!

Think that your idea is a good one. Some people have not tried private tours so they have nothing to compare it with. We tried Regent tours on one cruise and private tours on another and there is no comparison. I would definitely not wait until I get onboard as you could be left with no excursions at all. Calling Regent headquarters in Miami is, IMO, not the best option but I suppose is worth a try. Unless they can guarantee you an excursion booking, I would forget about Regent excursions.

St. Petersburg is an amazing city. In the scheme of things, looking at what you pay for your cruise, paying a little more for wonderful excursions is definitely worth it!

Think that your idea is a good one. Some people have not tried private tours so they have nothing to compare it with. We tried Regent tours on one cruise and private tours on another and there is no comparison. I would definitely not wait until I get onboard as you could be left with no excursions at all. Calling Regent headquarters in Miami is, IMO, not the best option but I suppose is worth a try. Unless they can guarantee you an excursion booking, I would forget about Regent excursions.

St. Petersburg is an amazing city. In the scheme of things, looking at what you pay for your cruise, paying a little more for wonderful excursions is definitely worth it!

My thoughts exactly ;) Not worth skimping a little bit in the grand scheme of things! Now I have to decide between companies and private/group. Unfortunately my roll call didn't seem much interested in the private tours so it would be just us... Ah, decisions! Thx

My thoughts exactly ;) Not worth skimping a little bit in the grand scheme of things! Now I have to decide between companies and private/group. Unfortunately my roll call didn't seem much interested in the private tours so it would be just us... Ah, decisions! Thx

As you probably know, only a small percentage of the passengers on your cruise are on Cruise Critic. Check with the tour provider - they may have others on your cruise that are looking to share excursions. Good luck:)

We used Alla Tours in St. Petersburg (2011). It was wonderful. We were there for two days. We had a group of 12, and our "private van" met 2 more people from a Regent Ship (we were on Holland American at the time). They were the nicest people from London. They talked up the Regent cruise line, so we did look into it for a later trip in 2013 to Alaska and loved it.

The private tour was a great experience. Between the 14 of us we ranged in age from 8 - 80. Everyone was treated well and we saw ALL the sights. Since Regent offers "free" tours, I realize that it is tempting to go with what is included. But, if you really want to see ALL the wonderful sights there are to see in St. Petersburg, I would go with a private tour. It will be worth the cost. They will detail the tour and get you early tickets into most sights. Even with Regent, you are part of a tour. With a smaller tour group, you will be able to see more sights and not have to wait. We loved the two days we were in St. Petersburg. My children think the tour was a big highlight in their lives. :)

As you probably know, only a small percentage of the passengers on your cruise are on Cruise Critic. Check with the tour provider - they may have others on your cruise that are looking to share excursions. Good luck:)

Yeah, thanks! I'll give them some time too while I'm working up my 'brief':D

We used Alla Tours in St. Petersburg (2011). It was wonderful. We were there for two days. We had a group of 12, and our "private van" met 2 more people from a Regent Ship (we were on Holland American at the time). They were the nicest people from London. They talked up the Regent cruise line, so we did look into it for a later trip in 2013 to Alaska and loved it.

The private tour was a great experience. Between the 14 of us we ranged in age from 8 - 80. Everyone was treated well and we saw ALL the sights. Since Regent offers "free" tours, I realize that it is tempting to go with what is included. But, if you really want to see ALL the wonderful sights there are to see in St. Petersburg, I would go with a private tour. It will be worth the cost. They will detail the tour and get you early tickets into most sights. Even with Regent, you are part of a tour. With a smaller tour group, you will be able to see more sights and not have to wait. We loved the two days we were in St. Petersburg. My children think the tour was a big highlight in their lives. :)

Yes, lots of good recommendations for Alla. They sound good and so does a private tour since I want to spend more time in the Hermitage. Memories are what it's all about:D Thanks!

OK, I'll add my two-pennorth here having just (yesterday) returned from our fourth visit to St Petersburg. We did the Regent Baltic cruise on Voyager last year with the three days in the city and we've travelled there previously as part of an independent land based tour and also on another cruise line. Not point scoring there but simply offering the background to my comments.

The (included) Regent tours we did last Autumn were great and considering we paid no extra for them whatsoever, it's hard to argue against them. We chose the Peterhof, the cathedrals and canals and the tour to the Yusopov Palace,and were pleased with our choices, even though we found it tricky to juggle what we could do on each day (because the programme on offer was day-specific) Bearing in mind, this was not our first visit and we had been to most places before, I appreciate that we didn't feel the same pressure as those for whom this might be a one-off opportunity. Once on board, we visited the Destinations desk and asked if we might fit something else in on our one free afternoon (which we'd found impossible to fill previously). We accepted the offer of two places on the Faberge Museum visit.

I would give full marks for the Peterhof tour. An early start, but our group (of about 16 px) were first in the queue for the Palace and we had as good a tour as we'd had with a private guide. We had researched what we wanted to see and prepared for our visit, so had great places to watch the fountains too. I'd say the Cathedrals tour was similarly great - again, we'd prepared and were really happy with our guide and the timings, having enough time to see what we wanted to see. The Yusopov Palace was the highlight for us - a fantastic guide (all guides on the Regent tours are local guides btw) and that remains a really great memory. The canal tour was good and a perfect opportunity to see the city and rest at the same time (!!) The Baltic itinerary is not one for cissies - full on day after day of sightseeing is pretty tiring! The big let down was the Faberge Museum... The last afternoon of our visit,we were in a tour with mostly elderly people who were tired and grumpy. Add that to a pretty hopeless guide who simply read out every museum information sign, let's say we simply walked through the museum ourselves, following the notes in a guide we'd picked up at the information desk and met the group at the exit. No matter, it was our "bonus" and if it didn't turn out well, it didn't matter.

We left St Petersburg wanting to return then. Partly, to share the city with other members of the family but partly to be in the city independently and experience other aspects of it which are impossible when on a tour (even with a private guide, as we did on our first two visits). There is no doubt that being independent is the most effective way to experience the city - BUT - I doubt that we could have done as much without the experience of the first three trips there, not to mention the painful process of getting a visa!! It's actually a small city, very compact and the main city sights are well within walking distance of one another. But that takes time and to see everything - well, I'd say that's impossible. We'd seen both Peterhof (twice) and Tsarskoye Selo so didn't feel the need to visit either of those again, so this time, we focused on the Hermitage (a whole day and we still have seen only a small part of it), the Peter and Paul Fortress (with two historians in the family, that was a must-see) and the cathedrals. We went to the (real) opera (not a tourist performance) and spent time walking around the city and subsequently in the hotel spa recovering ;p (Highly recommend the Four Seasons Lion Palace, btw)

My point from this long-winded reply? That the Regent-included excursions are a great offer and will allow you to gain a very good oversight of some of the sights. That a bit of preparation on your part will make the experience even better and allow you to capitalise on the time spent in each place. It might inspire you to return and spend longer in the city as we did! But if this is likely to be a one off visit, perhaps it's better to organise a private tour to see exactly what you want to see and focus on those. You'll still follow a programme with limited flexibility but are less likely to have to endure the grumps!! Be warned though, three days is still insufficient time to see everything and there will inevitably be difficult choices to make. In my opinion, however, you've already made the best choice - to take a Regent cruise to the Baltic!

(I hardly need say that I blogged about it all....:rolleyes: - posts tagged Russia, needless to say)

Yes, lots of good recommendations for Alla. They sound good and so does a private tour since I want to spend more time in the Hermitage. Memories are what it's all about:D Thanks!

Which cruise are you on?

We are booked to do the Baltic on Navigator this fall and if my DH's medical condition allows we will go. I was also thinking about doing a private tour as i was also told by my TA that Regent would not allow us to book more than 1 tour per day unless they were over 1.5 hours apart. Coincidentally every 1/2 day tour offered is 1 to 1.25 hours apart.

The frustrating part is that you can't just get off the ship and do your own thing because of the visa situation. The only way to take advantage of the total day is to book private tours where the Visa is included. I would happily pay for a Regent choice excursion for the other part of the day if 1/2 day ones were offered where the timing worked.

I have been once before but my DH hasn't so i was trying to arrange for him to see as much as possible. I would like to see a few things i haven't seen as well as spend more time at the Hermitage.

I hope you will post what you work out.

OK, I'll add my two-pennorth here having just (yesterday) returned from our fourth visit to St Petersburg. We did the Regent Baltic cruise on Voyager last year with the three days in the city and we've travelled there previously as part of an independent land based tour and also on another cruise line. Not point scoring there but simply offering the background to my comments.

The (included) Regent tours we did last Autumn were great and considering we paid no extra for them whatsoever, it's hard to argue against them. We chose the Peterhof, the cathedrals and canals and the tour to the Yusopov Palace,and were pleased with our choices, even though we found it tricky to juggle what we could do on each day (because the programme on offer was day-specific) Bearing in mind, this was not our first visit and we had been to most places before, I appreciate that we didn't feel the same pressure as those for whom this might be a one-off opportunity. Once on board, we visited the Destinations desk and asked if we might fit something else in on our one free afternoon (which we'd found impossible to fill previously). We accepted the offer of two places on the Faberge Museum visit.

I would give full marks for the Peterhof tour. An early start, but our group (of about 16 px) were first in the queue for the Palace and we had as good a tour as we'd had with a private guide. We had researched what we wanted to see and prepared for our visit, so had great places to watch the fountains too. I'd say the Cathedrals tour was similarly great - again, we'd prepared and were really happy with our guide and the timings, having enough time to see what we wanted to see. The Yusopov Palace was the highlight for us - a fantastic guide (all guides on the Regent tours are local guides btw) and that remains a really great memory. The canal tour was good and a perfect opportunity to see the city and rest at the same time (!!) The Baltic itinerary is not one for cissies - full on day after day of sightseeing is pretty tiring! The big let down was the Faberge Museum... The last afternoon of our visit,we were in a tour with mostly elderly people who were tired and grumpy. Add that to a pretty hopeless guide who simply read out every museum information sign, let's say we simply walked through the museum ourselves, following the notes in a guide we'd picked up at the information desk and met the group at the exit. No matter, it was our "bonus" and if it didn't turn out well, it didn't matter.

We left St Petersburg wanting to return then. Partly, to share the city with other members of the family but partly to be in the city independently and experience other aspects of it which are impossible when on a tour (even with a private guide, as we did on our first two visits). There is no doubt that being independent is the most effective way to experience the city - BUT - I doubt that we could have done as much without the experience of the first three trips there, not to mention the painful process of getting a visa!! It's actually a small city, very compact and the main city sights are well within walking distance of one another. But that takes time and to see everything - well, I'd say that's impossible. We'd seen both Peterhof (twice) and Tsarskoye Selo so didn't feel the need to visit either of those again, so this time, we focused on the Hermitage (a whole day and we still have seen only a small part of it), the Peter and Paul Fortress (with two historians in the family, that was a must-see) and the cathedrals. We went to the (real) opera (not a tourist performance) and spent time walking around the city and subsequently in the hotel spa recovering ;p (Highly recommend the Four Seasons Lion Palace, btw)

My point from this long-winded reply? That the Regent-included excursions are a great offer and will allow you to gain a very good oversight of some of the sights. That a bit of preparation on your part will make the experience even better and allow you to capitalise on the time spent in each place. It might inspire you to return and spend longer in the city as we did! But if this is likely to be a one off visit, perhaps it's better to organise a private tour to see exactly what you want to see and focus on those. You'll still follow a programme with limited flexibility but are less likely to have to endure the grumps!! Be warned though, three days is still insufficient time to see everything and there will inevitably be difficult choices to make. In my opinion, however, you've already made the best choice - to take a Regent cruise to the Baltic!

(I hardly need say that I blogged about it all....:rolleyes: - posts tagged Russia, needless to say)

Thank you Gilly - I loved your response! That was really helpful. I'm no cissy - love that and totally agree! I'm the annoying one that has the boundless energy to see just ONE more thing ;) Thanks for your review of the Yusopov and the Cathedrals tours. Coincidentally I was choosing between those 2 for the third day in port. So I got the cathedrals tour just now and I think I'll do a private tour on the other two days to get in some of the other things. I really want to spend a little more time in the Hermitage (Art History minor:) )... Also, I'm a Russian history buff (when I was a kid 'Nicholas and Alexandra' was one of my favorite books) and I do want to see the Faberge eggs and Tsarskoye Selo - too bad about your tour to see the eggs.

We'll see about returning! Thanks again - I'll look up the blog :)

Which cruise are you on?

We are booked to do the Baltic on Navigator this fall and if my DH's medical condition allows we will go. I was also thinking about doing a private tour as i was also told by my TA that Regent would not allow us to book more than 1 tour per day unless they were over 1.5 hours apart. Coincidentally every 1/2 day tour offered is 1 to 1.25 hours apart.

The frustrating part is that you can't just get off the ship and do your own thing because of the visa situation. The only way to take advantage of the total day is to book private tours where the Visa is included. I would happily pay for a Regent choice excursion for the other part of the day if 1/2 day ones were offered where the timing worked.

I have been once before but my DH hasn't so i was trying to arrange for him to see as much as possible. I would like to see a few things i haven't seen as well as spend more time at the Hermitage.

I hope you will post what you work out.

June 14th on the Explorer - it feels all the sudden like it's coming soon. Hope you get to go. I so agree with you about the frustration of the visa and Regent's booking limitations. I wanted to do like 6 different tours all with at least an hour between each but not being able to book ahead of time makes me wary of going without the reservations. So a private tour it will be for two days and the cathedrals tour on the last day. I was surprised that it was easy to get the cathedrals tour after everyone had booked but not sure that means it might be available after we get on the ship... Good luck:D

Depending on what art you want to see, lambert.studio, you might want to check which part of the Hermitage you need to visit. The impressive impressionist collection is housed in the General Staff Building across the Square, for example.

Took us till now to see the P and P fortress - I don't think it ought to feature too highly on your list, though. Other places are more worthy of your limited time, IMHO.

Jean, yes, you need to return! (But isn't that always the case? ) ;p

Having taken both private tours with Alla and Regent a Regent tour to the Hermitage, I must say (strongly) that there is no comparison. If we should return to the Baltics for a third time (would like to do so but not sure due to the current political situation), we would take private tours again. I do think that it would be helpful to hear from those of us that have taken both private and Regent tours.

Note: Even if you have a Russian visa and get off of the ship on your own, what would you do? It isn't like you could get easily get a cab that could take you to the sites. Even if you got to Catherine's Palace (very far away), for example, you would be faced with hoards of people, buses and long lines. Unless you are doing a private or group tour, you could spend a good portion of the day waiting to get in.

Second note: While the Hermitage was beautiful (we paid extra to get into the special rooms), it was so crowded that it was difficult to see anything. We much preferred Catherine's Palace but that is us - your views may differ but the crowds will no doubt be much more than you would expect.

We did the Baltic cruise on the Voyager in Oct 2016. There were 6 of us and we opted to use SPB Tours for a 3 day package. It was our first time in St. Petersburg and there was no way the included excursions would satisfy our desire to see as much as possible.

If you go to SPB's website there are details, however, our guide adapted to our wishes. Boris was an exceptional guide. His English was great. I would highly recommend.

Thanks GIlly, I'll plan out the collections ahead at the Hermitage. I bet most tours visit the same areas but I would like to specify the areas I'd prefer. I'll see what they say.

It looks like SPb has 45 minutes at P&P and Alla has 1.5 hours which includes the cathedral. Both only have 1.5 hours at the Catherine Palace - is that long enough do you think? Should I ask to skip the P&P altogether and spend the time at Catherine's instead?

Thanks Travelcat and Cardinal Gal - I'm starting with SPb and Alla because both have gotten thumbs up from every Regent cruiser I've seen so far. I figure both are similar... Unfortunately, being a first timer, I want to see what everyone else wants to see too (and at peak time in June ugghh), so crowds are inevitable :(

Lambert.studio.. I think we're on the same cruise, embarking June 14th from London. Originally we were planning on using the inclusive Regent tours in St. Petersburg. In fact we have already signed up for three days and one night (ballet) of Regent tours.

Following this thread, I'm beginning to have serious second thoughts about that decision. After doing some research, we will probably be switching to a three day grand tour (including Jewish Heritage) with Alla. We'll keep the Regent ballet excursion at night. Using the Regent tours exclusively seemed to leave too much "down time" on the ship.

Thanks to all who have offered their experience on this thread. It's very much appreciated. Lambert... hopefully we'll cross paths on our cruise... Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lambert.studio I think it would be helpful to be able to steer your guide to those things you really wish to see - after all, isn't that what taking a private tour is all about? I think you are right not to dismiss the Regent tours completely though - if there is one which includes what you'd like to do, then use it (you've paid for it, after all).

The P&P Fortress was interesting because of the graves and their beautiful setting in the cathedral which were worth seeing. But we didn't find much else of interest there (there are some 'museums'). Personally, I don't think you would regret spending longer at the palaces. They are spectacular.

IMHO there is no way to explore StP independently from a cruise ship unless you have personal connections in the city. Even when Voyager had a very central and convenient berth last year, it would not have been a practical option. Lambert.studio, I think you approach is spot on - tailor what's available to suit your own wishes.

Oh, and meant to say, the Faberge Museum is the place to see the Easter Eggs. There is a Faberge Room in the General Staff Building of the Hermitage but save for a miniature set of royal regalia and one small non-royal egg, it's a collection of his silverware. Spectacular, yes, but nothing like the eggs!

Having taken both private tours with Alla and Regent a Regent tour to the Hermitage, I must say (strongly) that there is no comparison. If we should return to the Baltics for a third time (would like to do so but not sure due to the current political situation), we would take private tours again. I do think that it would be helpful to hear from those of us that have taken both private and Regent tours.

Note: Even if you have a Russian visa and get off of the ship on your own, what would you do? It isn't like you could get easily get a cab that could take you to the sites. Even if you got to Catherine's Palace (very far away), for example, you would be faced with hoards of people, buses and long lines. Unless you are doing a private or group tour, you could spend a good portion of the day waiting to get in.

Second note: While the Hermitage was beautiful (we paid extra to get into the special rooms), it was so crowded that it was difficult to see anything. We much preferred Catherine's Palace but that is us - your views may differ but the crowds will no doubt be much more than you would expect.

Tc2, since you quoted my reply, I assume you are referring to that, though it seems you misunderstood in several respects. I've said enough elsewhere, so won't repeat myself save for saying that the best guide will know how to avoid the inevitable crowds and accompanied by such a person, there will be little need to queue or to pay extra to see parts of the Hermitage, where an 'all access' ticket costs less than $10.

Tc2, since you quoted my reply, I assume you are referring to that, though it seems you misunderstood in several respects. I've said enough elsewhere, so won't repeat myself save for saying that the best guide will know how to avoid the inevitable crowds and accompanied by such a person, there will be little need to queue or to pay extra to see parts of the Hermitage, where an 'all access' ticket costs less than $10.

Interesting information about the 'all access' ticket because if you do a Regent excursion to the Hermitage, you pay through the nose to get access to special rooms (it is not an included excursion).

While I certainly could have misunderstood your post, I think that we are on the same page...... the best way to see St. Petersburg is with a guide rather than Regent (or a combination of the two).