Regent explorer guarantee

docboss1

We are in a concierge suite, forward on deck 10, at the moment

The concierge suites on Explorer are excellent.....................good size & layout, plenty of storage, well appointed bathroom & large balcony :)

1001 is adjacent the officers' quarters behind the bridge; the suite is under the library so shouldn't have any noise issues from above

Handy location for the Pool Deck and Observation Lounge, both one deck up, and on the same deck as Prime 7 and Chartreuse

Enjoy your cruise - we are on board till Rome but are moving down to deck 6 in Venice

just got our cabin assigment for next week! Any feedback on concierge suite 1001?

As long as the seas remain calm, you should be fine. Forward cabins on all ships feel the "motion of the ocean" quite a bit (we were in suite 1200 on Explorer on a transatlantic and definitely felt the seas more than on the lower decks).

Have a great cruise!

So regent wants to give us almost $5000 to not take this cruise and rebook ! Do they oversell the cruises?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is not exactly overselling - it is a demand for suites that are booked. If there is a demand for your category of suite and fare has gone up since most people booked, they may want to make the suites available at the higher price and pay passengers to take other cruises.

On the other hand, it is possible that that the cruise was overbooked. Regent seems to have a variety of ways to move people around. Sometimes they offer upsells to higher suites which opens availability in lower suites. If a cruise is not selling well, they sometimes offer a discount to passengers on the cruise before or after it to extend their cruise (and help fill up the ship). Or, if you are being offered $$$ to rebook specific cruises, this is another way to fill the ships.

This is really last minute..... are you considering it?

Note: Regent will likely keep increasing the offers until they find passengers to take them. Unlike airlines, passengers are never turned away from a Regent cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Reference docboss1's info about being offered $5,000 to cancel, and book another cruise.

Paltry.

How about $23,500? This happened to us a few years' back on a Sydney to Singapore Voyager itinerary. The offers to cancel and rebook another cruise started about 15 day's out from our scheduled fly-away from Seattle, via L.A., to Sydney. Our TA advised to be patient. In our case, that was not the issue, as we had planned this trip with my only brother and his wife and another couple we had both known for 50 years. So--several couples would be impacted.

Offers just kept coming in, about every-other day, with the rebate increasing; to include a hefty discount on whatever other future Regent cruise we might book. Must be honest: had not we made a commitment to the other couples, would have been tempted beyond resisting. That last offer--the $23,000+ one--came in about three days before scheduled flyaway. We flew away.

Apparently, Regent found other souls willing to rebook. BTW: we never heard this aspect mentioned while aboard the ship, which was, in fact, fully-booked. Our traveling companions also received these inducements. They also declined to "take the bait." It was a great cruise. Afterward, we joked that every relationship has its limits. What if we had been offered $30,000 plus a future, free cruise?

That's the cruise business.

GoArmy!

Re: Rebates. Thanks to one and all for your positive feedback. What price can one put on family loyalty? That is a rhetorical question. Besides, my older brother, also a retired Army Officer, has DOR (Travelcat2--that translates to date of rank) on this not-quite so-old Colonel.

BTW: The couple who also refused to take that $23,000+ bait will be with Sue and me in less than a month as we board Navigator for an Amazon River cruise. So far, we have not received any notices from Regent or our TA as to rebate offers.

Best--

GoARMY!

Re: Rebates. Thanks to one and all for your positive feedback. What price can one put on family loyalty? That is a rhetorical question. Besides, my older brother, also a retired Army Officer, has DOR (Travelcat2--that translates to date of rank) on this not-quite so-old Colonel.

BTW: The couple who also refused to take that $23,000+ bait will be with Sue and me in less than a month as we board Navigator for an Amazon River cruise. So far, we have not received any notices from Regent or our TA as to rebate offers.

Best--

GoARMY!

Thank you for the explanation and for remembering that some military terms are difficult for me to understand. Can't wait for your comments on your Amazon cruise. We are frustrated that that excursions showing up on your cruise do not show up on ours. May end up calling Regent.

Travelcat: As to pending Amazon trip, can't commit to daily Internet sessions as to the cruise. Will do the best I can.

Also, totally off-thread, but we got our Yellow Fever inoculation today, as required by Regent before boarding at Miami. (Unless, of course, a M.D. certifies there is a medical reason for not getting that shot.)

After carefully reviewing our planned itinerary (pretty much the same you will be doing later this year), that M.D. at Evergreen Hospital's Infectious Disease Clinic (resident expert in tropical medicine) recommended Typhoid inoculation as well. So, two shots each. And, for good measure, a prescription for malaria pills. We will obtain same, and follow that protocol.

O.K. I will never go off-thread again, promise. The above experience as to the Amazon River cruise will be entered in the Navigator Roll Call for that May 23rd cruise for whatever value it might be for our fellow travelers.

GoARMY!