Celebrity Passage -cruise certificate Question

jsteinberg

Apparently, there is no hard and fast rule.

Some people who purchased Celebrity Passages certificates were required to pay full deposit when they eventually selected a cruise (and not just for suites). It also seems that some of the future cruise consultants onboard the ships are confused as well, as the information they give is, at times, quite erroneous.

We were on Eclipse last week, but for us, it didn't pay to do a Passages certificate (I didn't have a specific cruise ship/date/itin selected, so doing an onboard booking wasn't worth it) since we were told that the full deposit would be required when we selected our cruise. And since we're shareholders and can't combine perks, the only reason for doing a Passages cert would be for the reduced deposit. For longer cruises, I hate to tie up so much money.

It's all so confusing...I just wish they wouldn't complicate issues so.

Jo-Ann

Can anyone tell me if the if the Passages OBC is combinable with the OBC credit that Amex gives when a cruise is paid for using a Platinum Amex Card?

Yes, it's combinable. You just can't combine any other cruiseline perks (i.e., shareholder credit). Anything coming from a credit card and/or TA can be combined.

Jo-Ann

Apparently, there is no hard and fast rule.

Some people who purchased Celebrity Passages certificates were required to pay full deposit when they eventually selected a cruise (and not just for suites). It also seems that some of the future cruise consultants onboard the ships are confused as well, as the information they give is, at times, quite erroneous.

We were on Eclipse last week, but for us, it didn't pay to do a Passages certificate (I didn't have a specific cruise ship/date/itin selected, so doing an onboard booking wasn't worth it) since we were told that the full deposit would be required when we selected our cruise. And since we're shareholders and can't combine perks, the only reason for doing a Passages cert would be for the reduced deposit. For longer cruises, I hate to tie up so much money.

It's all so confusing...I just wish they wouldn't complicate issues so.

Jo-Ann

I was on the 2/5 and 2/12 cruise and I purchased two Open Passages during the 2/5 cruise and I am looking at a blank form that I saved. It would appear that you had a miscommunication. The Celebrity Open Passage Booking Request Form clearly states that

1. A reduced deposit of $100USD is required per person to qualify for the OBC offer.

2. No additional deposits are due until final payment.

3. You also receive two Friends and Family Certificates.

It does state that is not combinable with the shareholder credit.

It is an official written form that looks like a standard form.

Whoever told you that you would need to pay a full deposit when you decided must have assumed that you were booking a suite?

Jim

Edited by jagoffee

• 4 years later...

Bought four of those future cruise certificates when on board Equinox a few years ago, thought that was a good deal. Those certificates were assigned to travel agent A (not mentioning their name to avoid confusion) whom I booked Equinox from.

Somehow, I encountered issues in using those certificates in two incidences. First is on Millennium, from Shanghai to Vancouver in Apr 2015. Celebrity told me I could not use that certificate because the cabin price I paid for was too low, period !!!! Second is on Equinox to sail out next month (Sept 2015) and I booked that cruise from travel agent B. Celebrity would not let me/agent B use the certificate because it is assigned to agent A. Later they told me to ask Agent A to transfer the certificate to agent B for agent B to apply it to my cruise. After the transfer completed, agent B told me that Celebrity still do not allow them to apply the certificate for me !!! Wow, they are my certificates and I do not know what the rules guiding whether they can be applied or not. It seems each time I call Celebrity customer service, I got different answer each time. Cases of non-applicable are not stated in the certificates at all. While agent B is still working on the case, I am frustrated.

Anyone trying to use the cruise certificate and not successful or satisfied ?