Silver Cloud 515: bad smell in bathroom

Balloon Man

Our bathroom in cabin 515 on the Cloud smells, to put it politely, of stale urine. It isn't nice.

We told our butler Janice about it and our cabin attendant has washed it and used air freshener but to little avail as the odour returns.

My wife also reported the problem to Reception but no response. So far as we know nothing has been initiated by management.

This makes me suspect the problem may be long term, regularly reported but insoluble possibly due to a leak. I would be interested to hear if anybody else who has been in 515 has experienced this smell?

I will update this as the cruise progresses so that anyone who has a booking in this cabin can seek assurance or possibly change cabins before they board.

Edited by Balloon Man

Correction to my earlier post. My wife says two people did respond to her complaint to Reception and did have a sniff in our bathroom. But no further action so far. Still a bit smelly.

However we won't let it spoil what is otherwise an enjoyable first cruise with Silversea.

I have to say the staff are the best we have ever experienced on a cruise ship.

Hopefully the Cracker Jack cleaning crew have solved the issue.

And enjoy the wonderful crew. Please send regards to Gemmar, aka Dr mar, mark Anthony, yudi, and Elvis ( maitre d of La Terrazza) from candy and Larry.

Now smells of chlorine so judgement suspended. And the Hotel Director has asked to see us.

Absolutely no question they have done their best. Will give it a couple of days and update.

Other than having a bathroom that your senses tell you is unclean when what you have seen tells you it is clean, the cruise is going well. Just sailing out of Stockholm after a beautiful day.

The ship is full and the smell, while not completely eliminated, is much reduced. Or maybe we've just got used to it!

So that's it. I won't post anything further unless we have a recurrence so this thread can slowly slip down the list.

Thank you all for your interest and helpful suggestions.

There is obviously a problem with the plumbing on deck 5.When we cruised the Amazon we were on deck 5.On several occasions various suites on that deck had problems including on a couple of occasions a toilet overflow.Fortunately not our suite.

On our Norwegian cruise just completed once again a couple of rooms with problems as the maintenance crew had a room open and the air blowers going.This time though as we walked past there was no odour.

I believe the Cloud is going into dry dock in a couple of months.

Edited by drron29

I had an issue a couple of years ago on the Cloud with a heinous noise in the wall of our cabin. It seemed to only occur at night but did happen occasionally during the day. I complained after several days, stating that I could not sleep because the noise was so horrible. I was told it would be "checked out" and was told that it was "fixed." Not true, the noise was unbearable. Finally, after telling someone that I was ready to get off of the ship, she came to my cabin and sat on the bed to listen for the noise. After explaining where the noise was coming from, she picked up the phone, called a cabin below ours and asked the person to flush the toilet. When the toilet flushed, she saw the walls rumble and heard the horrible noise. She immediately found us another cabin (thankfully one was available) on a higher deck (a definite upgrade) and our clothes and all of our belongings were moved for us and amazingly placed in the exact places they were in our previous cabin. We had a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us when we returned to our room I guess Silversea recognized that we had put up with this noise for several days, actually almost a week, and they felt that they should have done something about it earlier. Obviously there are some plumbing issues on the ship. While the ship was o.k. it was obviously in need of some remodeling. I hope that the rest of your trip is uneventful and enjoyable.

The story has a happy ending, at least for us.

A couple had to leave the ship in St. Petersburg yesterday due to a problem which, quite correctly, was not disclosed to us. Their loss (oh dear I hope that is not an unfortunate turn of phrase) was our gain.

We were then offered a move further along the deck toward the centre of the ship. Checked it out. No smell. Apparently 515 will be steam cleaned.

Thank you Silversea for managing a difficult situation to the best of your ability.

I will finish by saying in my opinion, having been on all the "luxury" lines, that this ship is past its sell-by date. It's been well patched-up and I repeat that the staff are the best. Looking forward to trying Silversea's newer vessels (assuming they will let us back on-board) but it won't be on Cloud.

And that's it from me on this thread. Let's let it drift away.

Not exactly encouraging for those of us on the Cloud later this year - I was hoping my first Silversea experience might have been pretty much flawless. Even so, it's the destinations that count for me, not the ship that takes me there. The last 'luxury' ship I was on was the Seabourn Legend and I thought that was pretty grotty in some respects.

But not to be too downhearted - the Cloud will be in dry dock for much of October/November so maybe it will emerge as good as new . . .

Not exactly encouraging for those of us on the Cloud later this year - I was hoping my first Silversea experience might have been pretty much flawless. Even so, it's the destinations that count for me, not the ship that takes me there. The last 'luxury' ship I was on was the Seabourn Legend and I thought that was pretty grotty in some respects.

But not to be too downhearted - the Cloud will be in dry dock for much of October/November so maybe it will emerge as good as new . . .

And your post epitomises what Cruise Critic is all about. We tell fellow cruisers what is happening; the bad, the not so bad and the good.

We started out with a bad problem. Silversea made it not such a bad problem with their cleaning efforts and then when space became available removed the problem completely by moving us.

I suspect people in 515 will not have a problem in future because it has been recognised and will hopefully be dealt with. But if it isn't those who follow can say "You knew about this and have done nothing about it".

And your post epitomises what Cruise Critic is all about. We tell fellow cruisers what is happening; the bad, the not so bad and the good.

We started out with a bad problem. Silversea made it not such a bad problem with their cleaning efforts and then when space became available removed the problem completely by moving us.

I suspect people in 515 will not have a problem in future because it has been recognised and will hopefully be dealt with. But if it isn't those who follow can say "You knew about this and have done nothing about it".

Good to hear it is resolved and you are happy ... but you wonder why the "butler" and suite attendant couldn't detect it with their noses before you arrived in the suite ...... or perhaps they did and realised you couldn't be moved .... so "overlooked it"? I think you'd expect them to know the suite didn't smell "sweet" wouldn't you?

:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff