Sapphire and "mostly Chinese passengers"

yyjguy

Today I read 2 different news stories in which Sapphire Princess was mentioned. In one the passenger load was referred to as "most Chinese" and in the other "catering almost exclusively to the Chinese market". I know that for a portion of her annual sailings while based in China this could well be true. However for the sailing this January when she is based in Singapore will this be the case?

I once was in an embarkation line up in New York and shoreside staff keep going up and down the line asking if anyone wanted English forms to complete. Once aboard it became apparent why; only 54 non German speaking passengers were aboard, me included, while the rest were a large tour party from Munich! There were a few challenges during the next 12 days!!

The Sapphire and her sister (near twin) the Diamond over the last couple years have been specifically customized for the chinese/asian market. I would absolutely expect for the demographics to be different than than other Princess ships. There is even a Princess cruises China entity.

As it happens, this morning I saw a lovely itinerary on the Sapphire round trip Singapore Feb 2016.. I really liked it, but part of what stopped me was that she is not what I am used to any more. I probably would have booked it had it not been for that. I was aboard the Sapphire just 2 weeks before her departure from the US west coast (LA). So I was well aware of the customization going on.

Edited by hpeabody

I have heard and known of people who have sailed on the Sapphire Princess in China. It is true, most passengers are from Asia (even when leaving from Singapore) and because of this, Princess will cater most of their activities to these customers.

The stores onboard are different (think more along the lines of LV, Chanel, Dior, etc.) and the food onboard is more authentic Asian food. Many of the crew are also hired to cater to these passengers and can speak multiple languages. It's definitely a different experience, maybe one that you'll love!

My parents were on the Sapphire right before she repositioned to Asia and many of the changes were already evident. My parents, who grew up in China, loved the food and thought it was pretty authentic. They loved it! :)

Today I read 2 different news stories in which Sapphire Princess was mentioned. In one the passenger load was referred to as "most Chinese" and in the other "catering almost exclusively to the Chinese market". I know that for a portion of her annual sailings while based in China this could well be true. However for the sailing this January when she is based in Singapore will this be the case?

I once was in an embarkation line up in New York and shoreside staff keep going up and down the line asking if anyone wanted English forms to complete. Once aboard it became apparent why; only 54 non German speaking passengers were aboard, me included, while the rest were a large tour party from Munich! There were a few challenges during the next 12 days!!

Yes they are in the Asian market so expect the majority to be Asian.

We were on the Sapphire last year, 17 days September and October, Singapore to Beijing stopping in Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Nagasaki, and Busan. Yes, there were a lot of passengers from different Asian countries, but that made it a more interesting trip. After all, we were visiting Asia.

We were on board the Sapphire last year B2B Shanghai to Singapore to Hong Kong. We actually expected a greater percentage of the passengers to be Asian than there were. It made for a mixed melting pot of clientele. This was still a Princess cruise. All rules and procedures were the same. All official communications in English. The entertainment and activities were typical of Princess. Some extra food choices of Asian food - OK, but somewhat Westernized. Instead of Crab Shack there was a very nice Hot Pot meal on occasion. The added Asian staff was very attentive.

If you look at it from the perspective of the "from Asia" passenger, the Sapphire (and Diamond) is an opportunity to travel on a cruise ship with an "American Experience", not one of the myriad of cheap local cruise operators - so it is genuine Princess.

We were on board the Sapphire last year B2B Shanghai to Singapore to Hong Kong. We actually expected a greater percentage of the passengers to be Asian than there were. It made for a mixed melting pot of clientele. This was still a Princess cruise. All rules and procedures were the same. All official communications in English. The entertainment and activities were typical of Princess. Some extra food choices of Asian food - OK, but somewhat Westernized. Instead of Crab Shack there was a very nice Hot Pot meal on occasion. The added Asian staff was very attentive.

If you look at it from the perspective of the "from Asia" passenger, the Sapphire (and Diamond) is an opportunity to travel on a cruise ship with an "American Experience", not one of the myriad of cheap local cruise operators - so it is genuine Princess.

This was our experience as well. Many Aussies and a smattering of Brits. Hardly any Americans.

Our Canada/New England cruise also had a large percentage of Asian travelers.

Kathy

Things are changing. As a percentage of the world population, Asian folk have always been a large part.

What has changed is now they are allowed to travel, have the means and good for them, they do!

There were many large groups of Asian people traveling on the Baltic itinerary this summer. Many we spoke to were from the West Coast and Canada. The ship provided Chinese speaking staff to help those not speaking English. We saw waiters called over to help with the menus at certain tables. Very nice service from what I could see.

I think we'd be in the minority if cruising the Asian itineraries.

We did a New Year cruise this year from Singapore. We were surprised how few Asians were on the sailing considering the ship has been made to cater for them. The biggest percentage were still Americans. Quite a lot of Aussies unfortunately and a fair few poms. :)

mummsie

We did a New Year cruise this year from Singapore. We were surprised how few Asians were on the sailing considering the ship has been made to cater for them. The biggest percentage were still Americans. Quite a lot of Aussies unfortunately and a fair few poms. :)

mummsie

Unfortunately????