On Board Encore

wineasmusic

First off we are practiced cruisers having been on most the Seabourn and Regent ships.

The ship is really beautiful. Have been to most the public spaces now and the are all very nicely done. We have been on for 3 days now so starting to get the feel of things and create first impressions. And yes, the first thing we did was take a picture of the dent. I'll just post random thoughts so far to get caught up.

Oddly we did not meet our room attendant until the end of the second day. We also did not get our room serviced the first night (no Hearald and had to fold the luggage bed cover to get it out of the way). Seabourn offers special soaps for the shower. We have asked, but have yet to get any. Hopefully we can get that sorted out soon.

Have recognized a number of the crew we have sailed with before. They all seem to like working on this ship. Have had a few service hiccups, but overall I think they have it figured out.

Seabourn square is now round with 4 desks. There is no single line however so you queue by a desk and just hope you picked one where the person in front has an easy question. The space is bigger and very comfortable. Had a sea day yesterday and spent about an hour enjoying coffee from the coffee bar reading my kindle.

Saw one show so far and it was very good. They do two performances a night 8:30 and 10. The head height for the performers is very low. No jumping allowed up on the stage.

We did an early dinner to catch the 8:30 show. Sat down on the patio in Colonade at 7:05 for a 3 course limited menu meal and did not finish until 8:25. Barely made the show. Finished our entrees and after 15 minutes they had not yet cleared our plates so we asked for help so we could get desert and make the show.

Did Thomas Keller Grill last night and it was really enjoyable. My steak was almost done instead of medium rare, but the meat was of such high quality it was still good. I highly recommend checking out the lounge outside the TK Grill. It is a very enjoyable place to have a drink and listen to the piano. Planning to try out the observation piano player tonight before dinner.

The food has been very good so I'm sure to gain some poundage on this cruise, but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Had time for a leisurely breakfast on the patio of the Colonade. Good thing as it took over 10 minutes to get coffee. Refills were a challenge too. I get the feeling they really need another person or two on the Colonade patio to keep things moving smoothly. It is really spacious and you don't feel squeezed in like the Oddessey class ships. Wonderful space to enjoy a meal, but lots more tables so they need just a little more help.

More to come.

D2

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Dan, long time no see.

Got our fancy soap last night!

Did Thomas Keller in the colonnade last night. Tasty food but lots of pax don't understand the concept. Some were presenting for a table but did not realize it was by reservation. Saw one get really mad. Then heard another not understand it was a set menu. We enjoyed it but I can see how it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Went to club for first time. At 9:30 only a dozen pax. Have an ice chest for mixing the more simple drinks at the bar, but it is to small to do much. Still think TK Lounge is the winner.

Had no trouble getting coffee on colonnade patio this morning. We slept in so most folks were already off the ship. 😉

They have a cool automated gangway. It just extends out of the side of the ship and then lowers down. Has a built in rain cover and a solid floor under the steps to catch your dropped cell phones and things. Cool as can be, and fast too.

D2

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

They have 3 irons and steamers. When we were ironing construction guys we measuring for electrical and plumbing. There will be 3 washers and 3 dryers. So at some point when they tear things apart there may be no irons. I think they were shooting for 2 months.

D2

Did I imagine it, or did someone post a day or two ago that SB management had categorically said that there were not to be DIY laundries on Encore?? Does the right hand not know etc....

In spite of stealing some of the best old hands from the other ships, it sounds a bit as if Encore is a bit understaffed. Not seeing your stewardess for 2 days is unforgivable, to me, and certainly has never happened to us - sometimes we don't get to the suite until say 3.30., by which time she will have finished her opening visits, but they always seek you out a bit later, with the soaps etc.

Not entirely surprised that some turn up at the Colonnade not knowing what the arrangements are; there are usually a few on board who are too stupid/entitled to think the way it is organised matters. Maybe they can't read?

On our first cruise, our stewardess Monica was special and we were expecting that on the next. We did not get "a Monica" but she was new and shy. As it turned out, she was fine and we coped. She was new and probably, It was just a perception thing or an expectation on our part.

I guess what I am saying, not everything is the same in terms of expectations. Like my local coffee shop, I don't always get a perfect coffee, even though I do 9 out of 10. That's life, not everything is perfect all the time, and I will still go back.

Had a great meal in MDR last night. 1st and 2nd courses came out fast and then a 30 minute delay from clearing plates to delivery of entrees. We were having great conversation with another couple so was not a concern, but if we had been trying to make the show it could have been problematic.

Docked till 11pm in Wellington. They did a party on the top of the ship like the old rock the boat parties. Great fun from after dinner till 11:15 when they shut down.

D2

Slept in again as we have a late tour. Late Breakfast in colonnade with few people. Items ordered from the kitchen came out really fast and no problem getting coffee. I think when they reach a certain percentage of capacity is when things start to break down.

Great time in TK Lounge again last night before dinner. Katy Shotter on the piano is great. I think the drinks are better there. I think they pour better stuff. I know my port the other night was a lot better than the one i got at the show.

D2

Slept in again as we have a late tour. Late Breakfast in colonnade with few people. Items ordered from the kitchen came out really fast and no problem getting coffee. I think when they reach a certain percentage of capacity is when things start to break down.

Great time in TK Lounge again last night before dinner. Katy Shotter on the piano is great. I think the drinks are better there. I think they pour better stuff. I know my port the other night was a lot better than the one i got at the show.

D2

Tell Katy that Henry, Sharon & Emily send their love.

An absolute star !

Henry

Will do Henry.

Had lunch on the patio at colonnade for our first lunch on board. It is 55 today as we are on the southern tip of New Zealand having worked down from Auckland. The patio on the Encore is huge. If you sit close to the glass wall the are these neat heaters in the ceiling. Kept us warm while we had an Asian inspired lunch buffet. It was really good.

Had another great meal in the MDR last night. Got to sit in one of the sections that has the double height ceilings. It has a cool chandelier. I recommend asking fora table in these sections of possible. Has a cool feel to it. Doing the sushi restaurant for dinner tonight. Wife does not eat sushi, what a trooper.

They have a tender platform that folds down out of the hull. Really cool and works real well except they need to add a grate to the floor cause yesterday the waves were coming over it so you wound up wading through a few inches of water. Seems like an easy fix.

Tendered to a remote island where the dock was covered in slick algae. They brought a piece of carpet, the same kind in our room. I bet they have lots of extra onboard to replace bad spots and they thought to bring some along to make the dock safe. Great thinking!

Starting to get over the crowd and ship size difference from the Odyssey class ships. Feeling more comfortable in this one than I was.

D2

We are on board now too and echo some of the same feelings as wineasmusic. Favorite lounge is Tk and Katy. Our cabin stewardess has been very average. She has forgotten things. Not earth shattering, but not what we'd expect. Food has been very good with TK Grill excellent. We had trouble making 8:30 shows and it appears we are not alone - lately they have been at 8:45. Love having an earlier show option. Shows we've zeen have been good.

With three sea days in a row we'll see how well the Collannade handles everyone being on board. If it's cold and people stay inside there is a lotnof wasted seating space. There is even Collannade overflow patio seating on deck 8 outside TK. Enjoying ourselves but ship seems to have a different vibe than Sojourn did.

Thank you all for taking the time to update us on the Encore. We will be sailing with her in May out of Rome, and was beginning to feel a little anxious after hearing about all of the problems. This will be our 6th Seabourn cruise - so naturally we have a high expectation. I am grateful to have this "local" knowledge before our trip - so that we can expect a few hiccups and not let it annoy us. Have a fabulous trip and please keep your thoughts coming our way!

Thank you all for taking the time to update us on the Encore. We will be sailing with her in May out of Rome, and was beginning to feel a little anxious after hearing about all of the problems. This will be our 6th Seabourn cruise - so naturally we have a high expectation. I am grateful to have this "local" knowledge before our trip - so that we can expect a few hiccups and not let it annoy us. Have a fabulous trip and please keep your thoughts coming our way!

Like with any new restaurant or hotel, it takes a little time to work out kinks which is why you never want to go opening nights. By May it should be smooth sailing.

We had problems with the cabin stewardess.

Very forgetful. We were in cabin 907.

Will write review when we are home.

Kind regards,

Tony.

Does anyone has some pictures of suites on Deck 5. Would also very much like to hear some remarks on whether it is very different from deck 6.

Found another design error. The balconies use a laminate flooring. There is a slightly recessed channel along the outer edge of the balcony to catch and drain water. Unfortunately, there is not a channel also along the edge of the room. In Auckland it had been raining. The wind was holding the ship at a slight angle causing the water to pool right outside our balcony door. We had to step way over the puddle to get out to the dry part of the balcony. A second channel would solve that. Not something that can easily be added now.

D2

Don't know about deck 5 but love our deck 6 location with easy walk to many locations. Design flaw- closet double hanging bar too low. In effort to make shelf above, rack is too short to hang a man's shirt or jacket. I was told that will be corrected on Ovation. Also told lounge outside TK Grill will be enlarged some and large wine storage outside Grill changed. They are learning what works and what doesn't. Saw french press coffee today too. Have had lovely crossing of Tasman Sea. Looking forward to Melbourne tomorrow.

wineasmusic: how was the sushi dinner? fresh, frozen, counter seating or tables as well? and what was offered to your lovely wife? one last and most important: what's the process for booking a res, difficult, easy? arigato

No reservation for sushi, first come first serve. 8 counter seats and tables of different sizes. Small space. Since we have been at sea for 3 days and in off the beaten path areas more days the sushi is all frozen. Wife had rocket salad with an Asian dressing, the sweet shrimp (cooked) and a cucumber roll. We both enjoyed the experience. The staff made it an upbeat experience. Highly recommend it.

D2