Virgin Gorda and Baths

jsantull

Hello,

I am travelling on the Escape 5/6-5/13/17. For Tortola, the excursion we chose was the Virgin Gorda and Baths.

The Baths look absolutely amazing, and we are not worried about the physicality of the excursion.

What is concerning to me, though, is the excessive amounts of reports of people getting seasick on the ferry ride. Now, I don't get seasick and neither does my girlfriend, but I am very emetophobic.

Does anyone know if all of this seasickness hoopla is as common as the reviews on NCL's website? Or is just a case of a very vocal minority? I'm completely understanding of the tendency of people being more likely to leave a review if something goes wrong than if everything went right.

I'd love to hear from people who have been on this excursion. Thank you!

I've done this excursion twice, the ferry ride crosses choppy areas of sea, and yes on both trips we saw people getting seasick. It seemed we saw more people getting sick on the upper deck, so you may want to sit downstairs and as forward as possible.

We did the ferry and baths on our own. Not sure if there's really any advantage to doing the excursion over doing it on your own. Cost on your own is $40 pp.

But either way, no, no one we talked to on the ferry/taxi appeared sick. We had a party of 3. I get sea sick so take bonine on the cruise to begin with. The other two don't get sea sick and didn't have any trouble. I've done a variety of ferry rides and this wasn't bad at all. It's a big boat. And you can sit up top and get air (the shore excursion charters their own ferry but it's the same one that operates publically)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you change your mind, you might consider the Escape to Jost Van Dyke excursion instead. We have done it twice and the ride over was marvelous. The Rebel Yell takes waves with no problems. And Jost is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen in my life.

We went to the Baths a few weeks ago. I don't remember the ferry ride there being very choppy. We didn't get seasick and we did not see anyone else get seasick. On the way there, we sat ontop inside and on the way back, we sat downstairs inside. It was a GREAT excursion, have fun!!

If you change your mind, you might consider the Escape to Jost Van Dyke excursion instead. We have done it twice and the ride over was marvelous. The Rebel Yell takes waves with no problems. And Jost is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen in my life.

Ah, that was my first choice! Treating my GF to her first cruise, and she was super interested in doing this excursion...so I caved :D

Did this trip a couple of weeks ago and yes, the crossing was very choppy. No one on our boat became ill but it is worth noting that it's not always smooth sailing.

Thank you for the input! Hopefully it's a nice smooth day in May!

Hello,

I am travelling on the Escape 5/6-5/13/17. For Tortola, the excursion we chose was the Virgin Gorda and Baths.

The Baths look absolutely amazing, and we are not worried about the physicality of the excursion.

What is concerning to me, though, is the excessive amounts of reports of people getting seasick on the ferry ride. Now, I don't get seasick and neither does my girlfriend, but I am very emetophobic.

Does anyone know if all of this seasickness hoopla is as common as the reviews on NCL's website? Or is just a case of a very vocal minority? I'm completely understanding of the tendency of people being more likely to leave a review if something goes wrong than if everything went right.

I'd love to hear from people who have been on this excursion. Thank you!

We did the excursion (it was amazing) and didn't see anyone getting sea sick on our boat. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the combo of slightly choppy seas and the UBP may lead to a few people getting sick.

I used to go to Virgin Gorda every year and rent a house right across the street at the top of the Baths I can say that the channel between VG and Tortola can get a little choppy depending on the weather however, I have never seen anyone get sick on the ferry going back and forth in all my years(10+) of vacationing there. Make sure you walk through to Devils bay