Celebrity's pre-hotel in Vancouver?

stitchcreek

Sue: We're sailing out of Southampton next year on a B2B and I'm planning on flying from US to Southampton....does what you described in your post apply to people going from US to UK as well? Should I book hotel with Celebrity UK or on my own? Hotel I was looking at is Holiday Inn.

Unfortunately the US and UK sales conditions are very different but I would still suggest getting a price from Celebrity and checking Internet offerings. However, for a UK departure, Celebrity will offer a London hotel (I believe). Personally, I would stay in Southampton, at least for the night before you sail.

If you want to stay in Southampton, I can highly recommend the Grand Harbour and upgrading to a harbour view room. If you book their pre-cruise package you will get a private car to the ship and not have to handle your luggage - the hotel and dock porters will do it all for you. A great way to start your cruise. It is easily walkable but, having watched many people dragging their luggage along, I cannot understand why anyone would want to start their cruise like that.

Unfortunately the US and UK sales conditions are very different but I would still suggest getting a price from Celebrity and checking Internet offerings. However, for a UK departure, Celebrity will offer a London hotel (I believe). Personally, I would stay in Southampton, at least for the night before you sail.

If you want to stay in Southampton, I can highly recommend the Grand Harbour and upgrading to a harbour view room. If you book their pre-cruise package you will get a private car to the ship and not have to handle your luggage - the hotel and dock porters will do it all for you. A great way to start your cruise. It is easily walkable but, having watched many people dragging their luggage along, I cannot understand why anyone would want to start their cruise like that.

I did check with Celebrity and their pre-cruise hotels are all in London. We lived in London and while I love it, I've never been to Southampton and since we can fly from NY to Southampton on Aer Lingus (through Dublin of course) really want to stay there.

I will check out the Grand Harbour and would want a harbor view room. One of the reasons I looked at the Holiday Inn was because of their proximity to both the airport and the cruise port and they offer a cruise package that includes b-fast and transport to the ship.

We're on a B2B so will have a whole day to spend in Southampton and I heard that there's a ferry to one of the Isles. Is that a realistic option for about 4 hours?

Edited by Hydrokitty

IMHO, the only choice for a hotel for a cruise in or out of Vancouver is Pan Pacific. We stayed here for two pre-cruise nights and the room was roomy, clean, great view of the bay and an outstanding value. Many food choices are within a block or there are a couple restaurants on property that overlook the water.

The BEST feature was the way our luggage got to the ship. We called the night before to the hotel valet, we set the bags outside the door and went to breakfast. The valet took our bags and the next time we saw them was in our cabin on the ship.

If you can book the Pan Pacific, do it, no contest.

IMHO, the only choice for a hotel for a cruise in or out of Vancouver is Pan Pacific. We stayed here for two pre-cruise nights and the room was roomy, clean, great view of the bay and an outstanding value. Many food choices are within a block or there are a couple restaurants on property that overlook the water.

The BEST feature was the way our luggage got to the ship. We called the night before to the hotel valet, we set the bags outside the door and went to breakfast. The valet took our bags and the next time we saw them was in our cabin on the ship.

If you can book the Pan Pacific, do it, no contest.

Thank you, I'll keep an eye on it and see if anything opens up, and it's on the trolley line too. Our hotel does have a free shuttle to the pier, so we are happy with that.

What do Americans have to do prior to boarding in Vancouver with customs?

Since we booked a B2B, what about customs on turn a round day? When we did a B2B2B for South America, we did nothing, our new card showed up on our bed the night before. When most were disembarking, we just left for a tour.

Thank you, I'll keep an eye on it and see if anything opens up, and it's on the trolley line too. Our hotel does have a free shuttle to the pier, so we are happy with that.

What do Americans have to do prior to boarding in Vancouver with customs?

Since we booked a B2B, what about customs on turn a round day? When we did a B2B2B for South America, we did nothing, our new card showed up on our bed the night before. When most were disembarking, we just left for a tour.

When we flew into Vancouver last year we went through immigration at the airport and that was it. I don't imagine you will have to do anything extra to board the ship because you will already have entered Canada, but we weren't going on a cruise that time..when we did do the Alaska cruise we started in Seward and ended in Vancouver and it was quick and efficient. I was sick when we disembarked so I don't remember a whole lot, except that the Immigration agent went out of her way to get me an early room at Pan Pacific (we were staying 3 nights post cruise on our own). As to B2B we're doing our first one of those next year from England so you'll have to tell me what you did on turn around day.]

Edited by Hydrokitty

The Pan Pacific is definitely the most convenient for Vancouver cruises. Although the Westin Bayshore is a nice hotel, I'd look at either the Faimont Pacific Rim or the Fairmont Waterfront before the Westin. Both of those Fairmonts are within about a block of the cruise terminal. The Pacific Rim is a beautiful hotel, and is still fairly new. Be careful if you consider either of the Fairmonts. There are four Fairmonts in Vancouver, but only the Pacific Rim and Waterfront are actual waterfront properties close to the cruise terminal.

Last time we were 4 adults and luggage for 2 weeks...IMHO the best thing is to go on line and hire a car...it takes 30-45 minutes depending on traffic and cost us $150 Canadian for a private car for a stretch limo including the driver gratuity. I booked it on line and paid with my Capital One card which converted to about $120 US. I'm surprised Pan Pacific is fully booked....it's huge...they do a lot of conventions so that could be problem. The other hotel we used is Westin Bay Shore, in Coal Harbor, which is about 1/2 mile from the Pan on the harbor walk, which is easily as nice as the Pan and in an area that is loaded with restaurants. Not familiar with Vintage Park, sorry.

I found a site on line with 5 star reviews. We will be booking an SUV for $89 USD. It is way to early to book, have to wait until a month prior. Thank you for the tip. :)

We're on a B2B so will have a whole day to spend in Southampton and I heard that there's a ferry to one of the Isles. Is that a realistic option for about 4 hours?

I have not been to the Isle of Wight since I was 10 years old so my initial thoughts were "no way" but, of course, ferries have got faster since then. So I looked it up for you.

The fastest route is Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde which has a frequent service and takes 22 minutes. Southampton cruise port to Portsmouth Harbour is 18 miles. By car this would take about 40 minutes and by public transport (including walking) 1 hour 20 minutes.

So I guess that you could do it in 4 hours if you use taxis but, with waiting times, it would be tight unless you just want to do it for the ride.

I have not been to the Isle of Wight since I was 10 years old so my initial thoughts were "no way" but, of course, ferries have got faster since then. So I looked it up for you.

The fastest route is Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde which has a frequent service and takes 22 minutes. Southampton cruise port to Portsmouth Harbour is 18 miles. By car this would take about 40 minutes and by public transport (including walking) 1 hour 20 minutes.

So I guess that you could do it in 4 hours if you use taxis but, with waiting times, it would be tight unless you just want to do it for the ride.

Thanks Sue....I just might do it for the ride!! :D (I am happiest when I'm on a boat of any kind)

1. Pan Pacific....literally across the street from the terminal. Views from the rooms are spectacular...restaurant really pricey but small food court across the street and walking down the embarcadero there are plenty of restaurants to choose from.

Not across the street, its directly on top of the terminal. And we would suggest there's no place better. And very competitive with most of the downtown hotels. We got our gorgeous room with the bay view for $160 on one of the booking websites. Not only gorgeous but just an escalator ride to the checkin. And they take your luggage down for you! It was nice getting up early and watching the ship arrive on departure day from our windows.

2namsrl.jpg

2pycdxw.jpg

View from our window:

f4qja0.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo

Not across the street, its directly on top of the terminal. And we would suggest there's no place better. And very competitive with most of the downtown hotels. We got our gorgeous room with the bay view for $160 on one of the booking websites. Not only gorgeous but just an escalator ride to the checkin. And they take your luggage down for you! It was nice getting up early and watching the ship arrive on departure day from our windows.

2namsrl.jpg

2pycdxw.jpg

View from our window:

f4qja0.jpg

Pictures are gorgeous. I thought we had to walk across the street to enter the hotel...but I won't swear to that because I was so sick I don't really remember much. All I really remember was the customs agent asking me if I was ok and then using her cel phone to call the hotel and get me an early room...by early I mean like 8 a.m. I was very grateful. Incidentally, we may have been in the same room because ours looked out over the pool deck too.

It is already booked solid 14 months in advance. :confused::cool::eek:

Execute Plan B....try the Westin Bay Shore in Coal Harbor....a little further away from the cruise terminal but just as beautiful. Good luck....and keep checking the Pan Pacific....you never know when someone will cancel.

On a previous trip to Vancouver we stayed at the Hyatt Regency. Restaurants nearby and it is built over a little shopping mall (good for breakfast). It is a few blocks from the port, but we were able to roll our suitcases downhill all the way to the port easily. It was a very nice hotel, and at a HOHO bus stop.(in case you stay a couple of days). I think it was not as expensive as the Pan Pacific--but that may have changed.

Not really, sometimes if you look too far in advance it just shows it booked but its really not. I'd call the hotel and ask if their dates for your cruise are available yet. That happened to me too. I was just too early...but don't forget, it gets booked up.

Kitty, I'd hate to be sick ugh! Did you get to really see the hotel, I love the interior of it with the gorgeous fountains!