Dubai - Athens via Suez Canal

English Tim

Has anyone done this voyage or similar, to advise on tours, currency, etc?

We are doing this cruise in April and I'm getting a it apprehensive, which is very unusual. I think I may stay on the ship, much of the time whereas I'm usually quite an intrepid explorer.

Has anyone done this voyage or similar, to advise on tours, currency, etc?

We are doing this cruise in April and I'm getting a it apprehensive, which is very unusual. I think I may stay on the ship, much of the time whereas I'm usually quite an intrepid explorer.

Ive cruised many times through the suez, egypt, and up and down the med coast, you will have a terrific time. Israel is pretty amazing, if you get the opportunity ,do the overnight into Jerusalem.

Egypt is my favourite country in the world, my heart is going out to them at the moment and this is the first year in a long time that I don't have at least a few days there.

Take into account that the cruise lines would not take you into anywhere that they would put they passengers or ships at risk, I know from my trips to the middle east in the past when I have been on my own that there were few problems and yet the main cruise companies have played it safe and stayed away.

If it is your first trip to that part of the world, I would, under the current political situation be looking at taking ships tours, and put your faith in them and let them worry about things. Just enjoy yourself. US currency is widely accepted and is probably the best to barter with, last year, the Euro was gaining in popularity but the US gave better exchange.

If you would like to post the itin and would like any advice on particular ports, if I have been there Im more than happy to put in my two cents...

regards Roscoe

Edited by roscoe39

Ive cruised many times through the suez, egypt, and up and down the med coast, you will have a terrific time. Israel is pretty amazing, if you get the opportunity ,do the overnight into Jerusalem.

Egypt is my favourite country in the world, my heart is going out to them at the moment and this is the first year in a long time that I don't have at least a few days there.

Take into account that the cruise lines would not take you into anywhere that they would put they passengers or ships at risk, I know from my trips to the middle east in the past when I have been on my own that there were few problems and yet the main cruise companies have played it safe and stayed away.

If it is your first trip to that part of the world, I would, under the current political situation be looking at taking ships tours, and put your faith in them and let them worry about things. Just enjoy yourself. US currency is widely accepted and is probably the best to barter with, last year, the Euro was gaining in popularity but the US gave better exchange.

If you would like to post the itin and would like any advice on particular ports, if I have been there Im more than happy to put in my two cents...

regards Roscoe

Thanks. Here goes:

Dubai; Khasab, Oman; Salalah, Oman; Safaga, Egypt - 2 days: Sharm El Sheik, Egypt; Sokhna (Cairo) Egypt; Then Europe which we are very comfortable with. My wife wants to take a day tour to Valley of the Kings, but I don't fancy the long coach journeys. At Sharm we'll probably go snorkelling.

Thanks. Here goes:

Dubai; Khasab, Oman; Salalah, Oman; Safaga, Egypt - 2 days: Sharm El Sheik, Egypt; Sokhna (Cairo) Egypt; Then Europe which we are very comfortable with. My wife wants to take a day tour to Valley of the Kings, but I don't fancy the long coach journeys. At Sharm we'll probably go snorkelling.

Great Itin...makes me wish I was going back...

here is my last travel blog from my trip to Cairo in 2010.

http://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz/2015/02/blanche-and-muriel-do-egypt-on-their-own.html

Its long, Im afraid but shows what can happen. We did out own thing from Sharm, flying to Cairo and picking the ship up again in Port Said. Even though I have been there a few times, and consider myself occasionally intrepid...its not something id recommend to someone with a dicky ticker...

If you are offered the choice of a nile cruise in Cairo as opposed to anything else..the museum, the pyramids Sakkara, take them, the cruise is pretty hokey and not what you are thinking. The barge only goes through the city and you are not really "cruising not he Nile" as you imagine.

The valley of the Tombs is well worth the long 9 - 11 hour day, trust me... to stand there in one of the kings tombs is indescribable. If the line is long for King Tuts, I would recommend you leaving it and going to one of the lesser kings tombs. Most of the others will be empty and if you strike it lucky you will be on your own which is amazing in itself. Ramses is particulary good. Of course, Luxor and Karnak are also unbeatable. From the 3 times Ive been you have enough time to do at least 3 tombs there. Though only one if you want to see King Ts.

Both Sokhna and Safagha (the drop points for Luxor and Cairo) are barely worthwhile thinking of staying in for a look for the day. They are basically one horse, (camel) towns with little tourist infra structure.

Sharm has a brilliant diving coast, and also worth considering is the St Katherines Monastery. Well worth the drive and effort.

Salalah - I usually stay on the ship now when we call there. Not as pretty or exciting as Muscat, (which is brilliant but you don't appear to stop there) but still interesting for a one off. Basically all there is there is a Francensence tree, the ruins of the Queen of Shebas Palace, the tombs in the hills and a souk, although lunch in one of the 5 star hotels is usually offered and has been worth while.

phew..hope that helps. Hope it has given you some encouragement, you might not get the opportunity to go back fro a while.

best regards

Roscoe

Thank you very much for your insights, Roscoe. I love reading about individuals travel experiences.

ill look forward to reading yours Tim..

OMG... i just looked, I don't know where to start!!

regards

Edited by roscoe39

We were on a similar itinerary in 2013. We agree with most of Roscoe39's comments except for Safaga. The trip to see Luxor & Karnak ruins was amazing. The town itself was unimpressive.

Edited by dabear

I wouldn't even attempt to see Valley of the Kings on this trip. Far too much travelling to see just a tiny portion.

Maybe save it for a real Nile river cruise at some point in the future?

thats the point Chris., who knows with the way the future is going when you will have the opportunity to travel to that part of the world again?

Theres little to do in that particular port, and i mean...little... for travelling all that distance to get there it seems a shame not to go the extra leg.

Of course a nile cruise....now we are really talking!

When I was there in November, we did the long day trip from Safaga to the Valley of the Kings, Luxor and Karnak. Long day that it was I was very glad that I did go. We ran into very few crowds anywhere other part of our time at Karnak when a huge tour group arrived. If you can go, I would do it.....who knows what can happen in the future and the opportunity may not come about again anytime soon.

Sadly most of the Nile cruise ships were tied up and slowly rotting away on the river. We were told that very few of the cruise ships were operating and the smaller towns along the Upper Nile are suffering from the lack of tourism. The hotel that we stayed at was beautiful but had very few guests, maybe 20 if that (100+ rooms!). That whole area is hurting terribly right now.

We were unable to do a tour the second day we were there because they could not put together enough buses/transportation to make a "convoy".

• 1 month later...
I have booked a trip which will travel the whole length of Suez Canal.

From London UK to Sydney Australia.Many folks will not book this cruise because of the middle east situation.How safe is it?

I'll let you know if we return.

I have booked a trip which will travel the whole length of Suez Canal.

From London UK to Sydney Australia.Many folks will not book this cruise because of the middle east situation.How safe is it?

If it is deemed to be unsafe, then the cruiseline will avoid that area.