Japanese "one toe sock" for use with "indoor V slippers"?

GeezerCouple

We understand that during our trip to Japan (coming up soon!), there will be times that we will be expected to remove outdoor shoes, and put on the Zori (?) V style sandals.

Apparently, these are provided.

Are "one toe socks" also provided?

Of primary concern is during the several days we'll be at a traditional onsen ryokan (hot springs inn) and also at a Buddhist Monastery. We'll spend 2 nights and 3 days at each, so while we are indoors, we'll be using these slippers a lot.

Do guests at those places typically wear the special socks with their slippers?

Don't know if these will work but you can buy "flip-flop" socks some places in the US.

Also, my teen granddaughters wear regular socks and push up a place between the big toe and wear them with flip-flops.

Don't know if these will work but you can buy "flip-flop" socks some places in the US.

Also, my teen granddaughters wear regular socks and push up a place between the big toe and wear them with flip-flops.

Thanks.

I had just thought about this, and did find several for sale online.

But I have no idea if they are generally worn or not. Or if so, if they are always "provided".

(They aren't at all expensive, but... we are trying to take less, not more, and we'd have no use for these thin socks otherwise... and not at home, either. If we bring along "everything we *might* use", no matter how small... well, we've learned from experience! :o )

The ryokan we visited provided socks to go with the slippers. We had three types of slippers - one pair for use in our room on the tatami mats, different ones for around the rest of the hotel and the third ones were designated for use in the bathroom. The socks were ours to keep, but not the slippers of course. The room came with an instruction book telling us about the slippers, how to wear the traditional robe, how to sleep on a futon, the correct etiquette for the onsen and lastly how to use the remote control on the toilet.

Sheila

The ryokan we visited provided socks to go with the slippers. We had three types of slippers - one pair for use in our room on the tatami mats, different ones for around the rest of the hotel and the third ones were designated for use in the bathroom. The socks were ours to keep, but not the slippers of course. The room came with an instruction book telling us about the slippers, how to wear the traditional robe, how to sleep on a futon, the correct etiquette for the onsen and lastly how to use the remote control on the toilet.

Sheila

Thank you.

I know about the toilet slippers; thanks for the reminder.

How different are the slippers for one's room vs. around the inn?

I hadn't known about the two different types.

Thank you.

I know about the toilet slippers; thanks for the reminder.

How different are the slippers for one's room vs. around the inn?

I hadn't known about the two different types.

The room slippers were lighter weight than the other ones. I think maybe the main reason for two types was to keep the mats clean but I'm not really sure.