Seavis Tour to Saona Island

meliss35

Has anyone been to Saona Island with Seavis Tours recently? I heard there was a lot of seaweed on the island especially since Hurricane Erica. Is it still like that? Also, is water shoes recommended to go into the water at the beach?

Has anyone been to Saona Island with Seavis Tours recently? I heard there was a lot of seaweed on the island especially since Hurricane Erica. Is it still like that? Also, is water shoes recommended to go into the water at the beach?

We went last Thanksgiving. I wasn't really that impressed with it. It is a long boat ride to it. Water shoes would be good.

The seaweed is very bad throughout much of the Carib this year but varies as the guide said. The seaweed would be a concern on the beach but not on the rest of the day. Excellent excursion though, and benvan's post is the first negative report we've ever seen. The boat ride is part of the experience and includes a ride through the mangroves and along the rocks and a stop at the Natural Pool. Great day!

Thanks for all the replies!!! Looking forward to the trip with or without the seaweed. How long is the beach time? So then it's recommended to wear water shoes? Is it really rocky when you go into the water from the beach?

Depends on conditions that day, generally smaller bumps nothing to worry about. But with a bad back a cat would probably be smarter

We were wondering, guess we need to make a decision :confused:. We are doing a cat in Aruba..

Thanks

Edited by ddbaab53

We were wondering, guess we need to make a decision :confused:. We are doing a cat in Aruba..

Thanks

Sorry, not much help I'm afraid...

Our friend had just had shoulder surgery a couple weeks or less before our cruise and she had no problem with the boat ride or getting in and out. I have back issues as well and it didn't bother me, had a wonderful day actually.

So I'd say if it's not a chronic back issue where any little bump causes pain he would probably be good. If it's something like a pinched nerve where riding in a car is painful then no. The seats in the very back are the best spot, if you do go just let the guide know so he/she will seat you there.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies!!! Looking forward to the trip with or without the seaweed. How long is the beach time? So then it's recommended to wear water shoes? Is it really rocky when you go into the water from the beach?
I think we were at the beach about two hours. We then went to the mangroves and the sandbar. DH had water shoes and was glad he had them, if for no other reason than it helped him get in and out of the boat.

How rough is the bot trip over to the island? My husband has a bad back and we are wondering if we should stil go after seeing some videos.
DH also has a bad back - disintegrating disk. We sat toward the rear of the boat and he was fine with it. Our sons sat up front and it was a bumpier ride there. Edited by nybumpkin

Thanks for the responses. Al has had 3 back surgeries and still has 4 bad disks and they will not do another operation. He has good days and bad days so maybe we will plan to go and try to sit in the back of the boat unless he is having a bad morning that day. I appreciate the help.:)

Thanks for the responses. Al has had 3 back surgeries and still has 4 bad disks and they will not do another operation. He has good days and bad days so maybe we will plan to go and try to sit in the back of the boat unless he is having a bad morning that day. I appreciate the help.:)

The staff at Seavis is excellent, they are very understanding and will help you decide what to do. Even if you decide not to get in the boat you can still have a great day right there. You don't pay for the excursion until you get there and there is not a deposit. So if you decide the boat day isn't going to work you can walk a very short distance intio Bayahibe which is a small fishing village and shop and then spend some time at the nice beach there. Seavis is right there near the town. The Dreams La Romana resort is in the other direction a couple hundred yards but is private.

You would still want to taxi back with the rest of the group you taxied in with to get that cheap rate. But you could enjoy a nice day there in the time alotted. If interested you can also take a $1/pp van from Bayahibe to another small town, Dominicus where there is more shopping and a public beach next to the Iberostar resort.

Great day either way, much better than staying by the port or just going to an AI resort!;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just went on last week from the Breeze. Its a blast. Never had so much fun.... Hold on to your hat. Someone lost one and use lots of sun screen... Mamalika (sp?) is the best tour guide.... Lots of drinking......

Best time ever. :)

• 2 months later...

How was finding the correct taxi to get into once you are off the ship? I read a review where the people had trouble locating the correct taxi and taxi drivers were very pushy trying to shove them into their taxi. Is the taxi you need to take clearly marked?

No taxi required... Just meet your group in the lounge. Walk to a staging area outside of the ship. Then you walk all together to the front or is it the back of the ship That's where the speed boat meets you..... No taxi. And you will come back after about four hours or is it four and half hours later or so drunk as a skunk. Everyone will be laughing at you from the balconies of the ship because everyone was acting so goofy.... If you don't do this you will have a miserable time on the islands as there is not much to do.

Have a great one!!!

jsb

Oh,

Then I cannot help you. Sorry.... You might want to book through the cruise because the speed boat literally docks next to the ship. If you cant I am sure you will have a good time anyway. We did. Let me know how you make out.

Oh,

Then I cannot help you. Sorry.... You might want to book through the cruise because the speed boat literally docks next to the ship. If you cant I am sure you will have a good time anyway. We did. Let me know how you make out.

DO NOT book through the ship! The Seavis tour is a much better option, and you're not on the water as long.

No worries Jenner - When you contact Seavis you will find that they coordinate the taxi for you and you pay the taxi upon your return to the ship. You will be directed to meet at a point just off the ship and the driver will find you. We never saw anyone have a problem finding the taxi, if you have any problem the taxis are parked a short distance away and the ordination will direct you.

Enjoy! The staff at Seavis is amazing...

• 1 month later...
No taxi required... Just meet your group in the lounge. Walk to a staging area outside of the ship. Then you walk all together to the front or is it the back of the ship That's where the speed boat meets you..... No taxi. And you will come back after about four hours or is it four and half hours later or so drunk as a skunk. Everyone will be laughing at you from the balconies of the ship because everyone was acting so goofy.... If you don't do this you will have a miserable time on the islands as there is not much to do.

Have a great one!!!

jsb

Are you referring to the Seavis tour or the Carnival excursion? No offense but I would prefer an excursion without alcohol involved.

You most definitely want the Seavis excursion for the best experience! We saw the Carnival excursion at the other end of Catuano beach and we had a nicer spot and the staff is amazing. We also had more time to visit the mangroves and rocks just south of Dominicus before heading to Saona and the Natural Pool. Very educational and the staff is so informative.

Seavis serves Cuba Libre (rum and coke), beer, and soda with lunch (amazing buffet, we were very surprised!) and Cuba Libre at the Natural Pool if you want that. We were with mostly adults and no one was rowdy or drunken, very nice day!

We've since returned to Bayahibe on land vacations and see many cruisers spending their short day at the Dreams resort, now that is such a waste with all of the beauty around. But the Seavis Saona Island excursion is a great day!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...