Shopping

BK512

Is there a port (Cabo, Mazatlan, PV) that your typical souvenir type things are less expensive than the others?

I'm looking for things like vanilla and my newly discovered addiction--cream tequila.

So if I buy it in the first port, will I be disappointed in subsequent ports that I should have saved big $$$? (or pesos?)

Speaking of Pesos...should I shop with them, or dollars, and would I be paying a premium for dollars?

Thanks!

I donot think there will be much difference in price. If you buy at a local store or market it might depend how much you can bargain.

Next to the cruise terminal in Puerto Vallarta there is a small flea market, where you can bargain, although often prices in town are slightly better. Opposite the terminal you will see Walmart and Sams, both with fix prices.

Walmart gives an good exchange rate for US$, you will get change in Pesos. At markets and small shops expect a lower excahnge rate.

walmart in pv, walk over, credit card gobs of vanilla and tequila items, return and stow in ship. best bargain mex vanilla items achieved in less than 1 hr

then pick up nick nack small qty vanilla and tequila items elsewhere and compare

walmart in pv, walk over, credit card gobs of vanilla and tequila items, return and stow in ship. best bargain mex vanilla items achieved in less than 1 hr

then pick up nick nack small qty vanilla and tequila items elsewhere and compare

I hate to agree with bobnsofi, but they hit it spot on. Much of the vanilla that is offered for purchase in Mexico is NOT real vanilla, even though the label will state that it is. There are no laws in Mexico dealing with honesty in labeling. Any vanilla that you by at Wal-Mart, however, will be genuine, if the label states it so. We travel to Mexico twice a year, and have found that we can buy better (and cheaper) vanilla at Costco, back home, than we can find there.

• 5 months later...
I donot think there will be much difference in price. If you buy at a local store or market it might depend how much you can bargain.

Next to the cruise terminal in Puerto Vallarta there is a small flea market, where you can bargain, although often prices in town are slightly better. Opposite the terminal you will see Walmart and Sams, both with fix prices.

Walmart gives an good exchange rate for US$, you will get change in Pesos. At markets and small shops expect a lower excahnge rate.

And if your question was about US$ then apart from exchange issues it seems to be accepted everywhere. If you mean CDN$ then I would go with pesos. It's not as easy for them to use as U.S., costs more to exchange, I've been told, and isn't always accepted.