Antarctica and Children

claudiaYVR

We have friends who took their children on the Explorer. First we did Capetown to Accra - they took their two youngest, a boy 9 and girl 13, we were on board too. Everyone had a great time. We have travelled on the Explorer with others who were also on that Africa trip and they still ask us how the kids are going !! Xmas '14 they took the whole family to Antarctica - Nick was now 11, and girls 15, 18, 21. Same again everyone had a great time.

It depends on the children and their parents - there are NO activities for children on the Explorer, they do not cater to children, so as long as the children are well behaved, can interact with adults, can amuse themselves, and can be responsible there should not be a problem.

As to the zodiacs - they do have childrens life vests on board.

Also they might like to wait till the Cloud is "doing" Antarctica, it is a bigger ship and you have more room to move !

Check the Silversea website for the minimum age for children riding in zodiacs. Antarctica without zodiac cruises and landings is a cart without a horse.

Our children would have loved everything about our Antarctic cruise except the sometimes very, very, slow dinner service in the only dining room. Room service is the only other option.

I truly hope that these cruises where people plan on taking children are during school breaks or during the summer. Many people select these cruises when school is in session in order to avoid children (we don't hate them - just have "been there - done that" and appreciate an adult experience.

TC2,

I think you are being optimistic. In my experience, people who bring their kids on luxury lines do not care about other passengers. They don't even care about their kids, just themselves and what they want.[/quote

Please tell us what age you deem appropriate. I have seen some very smart and well behaved kids on luxury lines in fact better then some inconsiderate obnoxious adults.

Please tell us what age you deem appropriate. I have seen some very smart and well behaved kids on luxury lines in fact better then some inconsiderate obnoxious adults.

So true ! Our first cruise on the Explorer we met the most well behaved, polite American boy. He was a joy to travel with. Both is parents were army colonels so I suppose there was a bit of discipline at home ;) It all comes down to the parents and the values you teach your children.

TC2,

I think you are being optimistic. In my experience, people who bring their kids on luxury lines do not care about other passengers. They don't even care about their kids, just themselves and what they want.

My 2 first sailed with SS aged 11 and 14. They absolutely loved it, including attending the lectures and we dined with "papa john" who was the guest lecturer on board. They ate from the adult menu and dressed like adults.

It was them who were the driving force for a return to cruising on Seabourn at 18 and 21 after Mr W had passed away.

Please don't lump all parents in the same basket... On our last cruise it was a group of adults who had the above attitude and we had little kids on board who were perfectly well behaved and kept in reign by their parents, yes at times they did break out but the parents were soon on the job.

Before you say that's no fun for the kids.... No rules are fun for kids and they exist everywhere in the world..

I'd like a $ for each time we were treated poorly in a restaurant , hotel etc just because they were kids

TC2,

I think you are being optimistic. In my experience, people who bring their kids on luxury lines do not care about other passengers. They don't even care about their kids, just themselves and what they want.[/quote

I am tired of hearing that some adults are worse behaved than some children. A badly behaved adult can be dealt with by the staff, or even the Captain if the behavior is bad enough. But screaming and running children seem never to be handled by staff or their parents because attentive parents would never let them behave that way in the first place.

Twelve and above seems to be an age where kids have some self control. The problem is they'll be bored to death.