Russian Visa?

lisiamc

DH and I are cruising on Silver Shadow in early May, starting in Tokyo and calling at one port in Russia (Petropavlovsk). More than likely, we will book a ship's excursion for this port, as they don't seem like they are really set up for DIY tourists.

Will Silversea arrange group visas for those passengers on ship's excursions, or will we need to arrange our own visas beforehand for Russia? I've looked on the website, but didn't find an answer there.

Edited by lisiamc

DH and I are cruising on Silver Shadow in early May, starting in Tokyo and calling at one port in Russia (Petropavlovsk). More than likely, we will book a ship's excursion for this port, as they don't seem like they are really set up for DIY tourists.

Will Silversea arrange group visas for those passengers on ship's excursions, or will we need to arrange our own visas beforehand for Russia? I've looked on the website, but didn't find an answer there.

When we cruised to st Petersburg a few summers ago, we booked an excursion thru a tour company and the tour company obtained all the visas! You definitely need to talk to .silverseas, as we had to provide certain information to the tour company so they could obtain our visas., if silverseas isn't asking for info or providing information then I would think you will need to get your own visa

We visited Petropavlovsk from the Shadow in Apr 2014 and did not need to get a Visa. As long as the trip ashore is provided by a tour operator a Visa is not required. As for Petropavlovsk - there really isn't that much to see or do and what there is available is covered by the ship's excursion. The cost of getting a Visa would at least equal the cost of the excursion.

While the town itself may be a little uninspiring, the surrounding countryside is quite spectacular - the ship anchors in an area around which there are many extinct, dormant and active volcanos.

Things can change quickly in the Visa world, though, and I would agree that SS should be the first stop in finding the current position.

We visited Petropavlovsk from the Shadow in Apr 2014 and did not need to get a Visa. As long as the trip ashore is provided by a tour operator a Visa is not required. As for Petropavlovsk - there really isn't that much to see or do and what there is available is covered by the ship's excursion. The cost of getting a Visa would at least equal the cost of the excursion.

While the town itself may be a little uninspiring, the surrounding countryside is quite spectacular - the ship anchors in an area around which there are many extinct, dormant and active volcanos.

Things can change quickly in the Visa world, though, and I would agree that SS should be the first stop in finding the current position.

Thank you for the information about Petropavlovsk! It sounds like an interesting port for the scenery. I haven't read much about it yet.

I think you and everyone else is right, and I should contact Silversea for the definitive answer about the visa.

We were also on the cruise with Tothesunset, no visa needed as he explained. I highly recommend the ship's all day tour to the volcano and snowfield. It was spectacular! It is also a bit of a crapshoot, since we were lucky enough to have a great weather day, and others who have posted about this on other cruises were not so fortunate.

I've done Russo as an independent and a cruise

Independent in order to get a visa you need a sponsor from your accom. In your case this is the cruise ship so if you are going independent you need their contact details. This can be a challenge as they are not a Russian business

If you are doing a ship tour they organise the visa (different visa to the independent one)

If you are using an independent company they do all the sponsorship...

With a ships tour they are your sponsor and hence get the visa

Edited by MrsWaldo

I rang Silversea and also my travel agent today, and they both confirmed that if we take a Silversea excursion we won't need our own visas, the ship will arrange a group visa.

And we've signed up for the day-long tour of the volcanoes and snowfield. We're on the waiting list, since there was only one place left. Fingers crossed that we get to go, and that it's a nice day!