Old green card

Moncy012

My whole family is going on a western Caribbean cruise in April, leaving from port canaveral. My mother is from Germany and has a german passport and an old green card without the expiration date. She has had it since 1987-8. I have read and researched for what feels like forever and everything I have come across say that they "encourage" you to get the new green card but that it is not something you have to do at this point.

My question is has anyone recently cruised with the old no expiration date green card and their passport and had any problems?

I have read forums where some people have had problems but that was back in 2011, I believe when they were making the switch to the new green cards.

Sent from my VS986 using Forums mobile app

For your mother's sake, you should contact the US Citizenship and Immigration Services office near you, or customs/border protection.

Assuming someone else's experience is what you will experience in this type of situation is not reliable. You do not want to be standing at the check-in desk for the cruise and be denied because your documents are not in order. The reason "but on cruise critic, someone said...." is not going to fly.

Her green card is still valid, they just "recommend" getting new one to weed out those with no expiration dates... I don't see an issue plus if she converts to new GC it will be subject to the new expiration rules and would require a re-app (which is more $$ and paperwork) I would not recommend turning in her no expiration date GC for the new one... no way. She will be fine. Plus being from Germany she can travel on an esta anyway... she will be fine.