Hoping for some info on the MS Prinsedam

albingirl

We are looking at Grand Voyages on the Prinsendam. Does anyone have experience on this? Of course, I am sure, some do. Wonder if we can ask for your opinions?

Edited by albingirl
spell

We have done both grand cruises on the P'dam, plus a few other long cruises as she can get into smaller ports. We once did the Gr So America/Antarctica so we could get 1 last use out of our Brazilian visas and then stayed on for the Grand Med - it was awesome and we received a huge discount for combining both cruises. She has her issues and is not our favorite HAL ship but how can you beat the itineraries she sails! The grand cruises will spoil you for regular cruising as they are indeed unique and wonderful. She is a cozy, older ship, a bit worn but still elegant. The crew are amazing and will spoil you rotten; they are some of the best we have encountered. Her design allows for a wonderful sail even in rough seas. She is so small that by day 3, the crew will know you and your desires, you will have met most of the passengers and you will feel 'at home'. Love the king beds in almost all rooms, the walk-in closets - but beware, the huge mirror in the shower shows all!

We have not done a grand cruise on the Prinsendam but we have been on for 30 and 31 days. We got on after a grand cruise and saw some of the incredible gifts that were given to those on her. They really were unique and different from what I have traditionally read about here on the boards.

I concur with take us away as to the staff. They really do know who you are and the service is incredible. You will be spoiled for sure.

It's one of the reasons she's our favourite ship in the fleet. If you like "days gone by" in cruising, I think you will enjoy her. For those that prefer a sparkly new ship with lots of specialty restaurants and extra bells and whistles, this is not the ship for them.

We have not done a grand cruise but we've been on Prinsendam. I love cruise ships but not this one. A musty smelling cabin is a deal breaker for me as were musty odors in various areas on the ship. We had rotting woodwork, doors and window frames. Food and service were standard for the fleet, no better.

I have read on CC service levels are beefed up on grand cruises.

We did the Grand South America/Antarctica cruise in Jan 2013 & loved the cruise, the ship & the Crew! Prinsendam is our favorite ship because she is smaller than the others in the fleet & very elegant.. ..I've travelled a great deal, as am retired from an International Airline..The Prinsendam reminds me of some of the elegant old European Hotel's we've stayed in..

We had the best service that we've ever had on a HAL cruise.. All our Stewards took great care of us! It was nice to get to know the staff & have the staff get to know us.. They especially looked out for my DH who has a memory problem, when they found him lost & looking for me in the Lido...Our Steward took him & his food in tow & brought him to me.. I was very grateful for their concern...

The fact that the Prinsendam can get into many ports that the new ships can't get into was a big plus for us..

As another poster mentioned, if you want modern & new then you may not be happy on the Prinsendam..

no rock climbing, no bowling, no ice skating. We loved the ship on our TA.Yes, it can be confusing as it is not laid out like a HAL ship. That is because it belonged to Viking a while back. Didn't see rotting wood or smell anything musty. we only had about 550 people doing the TA; one being Topsham. Stephen Card.

Love the Prinsendam....our favourite now. Did 30 days on her last year and this year will be doing 49 days. Great to dock closer to cities because of her size, unique itineraries....a very "homely" ship