Question about Sky

A Jersey Girl

Hello,

I am new here. Nice to meet y'all :)

I have been on Carnival and Disney. Never on NCL.

If I booked a "Sail Away" cabin, that still includes "Free Open Bar", correct?

Some of the other ships take away your "free stuff" if that cabin is booked. I will be travelling solo, so the "Free Open Bar" would be a HUGE plus!

Thanks!

yes this includes the open bar for all cabins. A couple of things to note - 1) it only includes certain drinks/liquors. Premium liquors still cost. 2) Since the SKY is all inclusive there is no 18% service charge added to your drink order on free drinks - tip your server! We found a bar we liked and tipped big the first day, whenever the bartenders saw us they would always get our drink ready and wave us up even if there was a big line.

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the reply. I do have a couple of more questions. LOL! I haven't quite pulled the trigger on this cruise yet. I have researched and solo travel leads back to NCL (best/better rates for solo travellers). I seem to be leaning towards the Sky for my first cruise solo.

Forgive me if these questions have been answered before...

1. What drinks/beverages are served in MD Rooms. Can I get a glass of wine there?

2. I would only need my phone to text to US. I do not need it to surf, call, etc. How much a day does it cost for texting?

3. Can boarding passes be printed in Internet Cafe? If so, How much?

4. How did you like this Ship for Solo travelling?

Again, this would be my first solo cruise and leaving the Country by myself. Forgive my questions. LOL!

Thanks so much :)

we never had a problem at the buffet with the food being dried out or gross or anything like that. Maybe that happens at the very end of the buffet when they're not putting stuff out. It was by no means five star food but it was good enough. The main dining room was also pretty good and if you order something at don't like it you can always send it right back and get something else. And yes you can have wine in the main dining room.

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the reply. I do have a couple of more questions. LOL! I haven't quite pulled the trigger on this cruise yet. I have researched and solo travel leads back to NCL (best/better rates for solo travellers). I seem to be leaning towards the Sky for my first cruise solo.

Forgive me if these questions have been answered before...

1. What drinks/beverages are served in MD Rooms. Can I get a glass of wine there?

You can order your all-inclusive bar drinks in the MDR.

2. I would only need my phone to text to US. I do not need it to surf, call, etc. How much a day does it cost for texting?

If you are talking about SMS texting (not some internet-based texting like iMessage), you are charged by YOUR phone company by their rates for cruise ships (normally the pay-by-message international rate).

3. Can boarding passes be printed in Internet Cafe? If so, How much?

You have to buy internet minutes to log on to your airline. Then pay for printing. Totally not worth it. wait until you get to the airport.

4. How did you like this Ship for Solo travelling?

Great. It is kinda of a party boat.

Again, this would be my first solo cruise and leaving the Country by myself. Forgive my questions. LOL!

Thanks so much :)

Have a great time on the Sky.

I see birdtravels answered most of your questions, totally agree the sky is a party boat. You will have a great time. IMO NCL is the best for solo travel. The bigger ships have the solo cabins, but the treatment of the solo traveler is the same, no issues with dining alone or with others, the choice is yours, plenty to do and enjoy.

Regarding Havana, there was some damage from Irma but nothing severe. The tunnel under Havana Bay was closed due to flooding which required some excursions to be modified but again, nothing serious. Great Stirrup Cay was unaffected, beautiful island, all amenities available.

I was inspired by the people of Cuba. They are so hopeful for opportunities. Bring US dollars, 1s and 5s, share freely directly to the people.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

The buffet is not the best in the NCL fleet, but it is adequate, I found the smaller buffet at the great outdoors much easier to deal with and the food seemed to turn over more frequently, late night snacks from Longboards is another option if you are a night owl.

I see birdtravels answered most of your questions, totally agree the sky is a party boat. You will have a great time. IMO NCL is the best for solo travel. The bigger ships have the solo cabins, but the treatment of the solo traveler is the same, no issues with dining alone or with others, the choice is yours, plenty to do and enjoy.

Regarding Havana, there was some damage from Irma but nothing severe. The tunnel under Havana Bay was closed due to flooding which required some excursions to be modified but again, nothing serious. Great Stirrup Cay was unaffected, beautiful island, all amenities available.

I was inspired by the people of Cuba. They are so hopeful for opportunities. Bring US dollars, 1s and 5s, share freely directly to the people.

I am leaving to Cuba on Monday, Sept. 25. Would you please share more of your Cuban experience? What excursions did you take? How does Havana look like regarding hurricane Irma? Any review would help. Thank you.

I did the Mediterraneo Havana farm to table experience on Tuesday and the Ultimate Highlights of Havana on Wednesday. Both were great, I highly recommend both.

The farm experience required quite a bit of walking on very uneven terrain. You are best with sneakers even though it's hot. The tour includes either a horseback ride or tractor ride out to the mountain on the farm that actually protected the farm from Irma. A full lunch of afresh roasted pig traditional cuba sides and 1 drink, alcohol or not. It was delicious. A local band played and encouraged dancing. The guide on bus ride pointed out highlights both ways, but there were no stops. We also stopped at a government store for cigars, coffee and rum. US $ were accepted at .87 exchange. We got back to the ship with plenty of time to do another excursion or walk around Havana on your own. I did neither as I was exhausted from the heat. The only ac was the bus ride, it was a moderate excursion about 6 hrs.

The ultimate highlights gave us stops at revolution square, Christopher Columbus cemetery, the Jesus replica of the one in Brazil and one of the many forts on the island. The fort stop included a gift shop for the same items, basically same prices and exchange.

There are also a few gift stands in the terminal building along with the money exchange.

Overall the hurricane damage was a mixed bag. Lots of downed trees and fences in the main parts of Havana but when you traveled through the poorer sections the damage was more extensive.

The Cuban people have basically nothing except hope, they are extremely grateful for the American tourist. The guides spoke very good English but the driver or subsequent interactions with others, i.e. Farm workers, cemetery workers, required a basic understanding of Spanish or translation by the guide.

I will also add that I heard good reviews for all of the excursions in "an American classic " and the horse and buggy rides. I didn't go to any of the evening excursions such as the Tropicana nor did I hear overhear any comments however the ship highly recommended these tours for an authentic cuban experience.

I'm booked on the 9/25 Sky to Havana, as a solo. Have sailed on the Sky previously and it is a blast. Smaller, older ship without the fancy amenities, but the staff are a lot of fun and it is a party crowd. The food is ok, in my opinion and offered until the wee hours of the am. Drinks are flowing and a $1 tip per round will ensure stellar service. Don't miss ordering hot wings in the Longboard Bar at 2am before crashing in your tiny, but dark and cozy inside cabin.

Looking forward to seeing Cuba for the first time, and before DJT's travel policy changes kick in. Very excited! Bringing a backpack full of gum and cartoon character toothbrush kits, for any kids I meet.

Book a trip on Sky. Prices are very very good right now and you will have a great time!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, A Jersey Girl. I'm just off the Sky this morning as a solo. This was my 6th overall on the sky and 2nd solo. Did the 4 day so any questions ask away. Teambanzei is absolutely correct, tip your server, you won't regret it. Debbie

Hey I am curious if the open bar included champagne or champagne drinks, persecco or sparkling wine, mimosas kinda thing.

• 2 weeks later...
yes this includes the open bar for all cabins. A couple of things to note - 1) it only includes certain drinks/liquors. Premium liquors still cost. 2) Since the SKY is all inclusive there is no 18% service charge added to your drink order on free drinks - tip your server! We found a bar we liked and tipped big the first day, whenever the bartenders saw us they would always get our drink ready and wave us up even if there was a big line.

did you tip cash dollars? on the Epic I tipped $1 a drink (even tho there was gratuity on each tab) and just swiped it onto my room key. I've heard a rumor NCL keeps a record from your key of how much you tip, gamble, etc. Never brought much cash tipping since I could charge it all, but I'll adjust if that is expected.

FYI .. The daily service charge on the Sky is higher than on other ships, IMO due to the inclusive drinks.

How much are the service charges?

- For bookings made prior to April 1st, 2017, regardless of the date of your cruise:

PREPAID service charges will be charged the CURRENT price of:

• $15.50 USD per person per day The Haven and Suites; $13.50 USD per person per day for Mini-Suites and below - FOR ALL SHIPS

(To pre-pay your service charges, Log In to My NCL or contact your travel professional)

- For bookings made on or after April 1, 2017:

All PREPAID service charges will be charged the NEW price of:

• $16.99 USD per person per day The Haven and Suites; $13.99 USD per person per day for Mini-Suites and below.

Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun (Port Canaveral sailings only*) - $21.99 USD per person per day for Suites; $18.99 USD per person per day for Mini-Suites and below.

- For sailings on or after April 1, 2017:

All service charges PAID ONBOARD, regardless of booking date will be charged the NEW price of:

• $16.99 USD per person per day The Haven and Suites; $13.99 USD per person per day for Mini-Suites and below.

Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun (Port Canaveral sailings only*) - $21.99 USD per person per day for Suites; $18.99 USD per person per day for Mini-Suites and below.