Hawaii September 22 on Solstice

Bongord

Thanks so much for all of the advice you have given us, so many choices to select from! The cruise will be great fun for sure.

Wow! Your post & thread got me psyched. I am booked on your cruise next year. I booked it when it 1st was announced and seemed like that was ages ago. Never been to Hawaii and it's on my bucket list. When you get a chance after you return, please do a review, I be very interested in reading it.

I have done the road to Hana and never never never again - scared the crap out of me, but then again, I'm afraid of heights and I was the passenger. It's always worse when someone else is driving because you completely freak out overtime they are looking at the view and not the road.

I didn't find it scary at all. If anything I found it totally overrated. Maybe I'm jaded by driving the sea to sky highway regularly. It can be lengthy as it's quite narrow over a lot of one lane bridges but I never found it scary.

Did you do it or yourself or do it with a tour company?

We did the Hawaii cruise in May 2017. Our favourite port activity was on Hilo. We rented a van (for 6) and drove to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. We used Discount Hawaii Car Rental. The car needed to be picked up at the airport, but there was a shuttle right at the port to take us there and back. My husband did the Blue Hawaiian Helicopter ride. It was also based at the Hilo airport, so very convenient.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Been to all of these ports multiple times, both on a ship and on our own.

Echo the sentiments to rent a car in all the ports. Easy and very cheap. Could be 1/10 the price of an excursion if a few people.

Honolulu: We avoid Waikiki like the plague. Don't see anything of value there unless big,older hotels float your boat. Beaches OK but difficult to get to. Head for the windward side (e.g. Kailua and Lanikai). Head for the North Shore but be prepared for traffic, especially weekends and if the surf is up. Hike Diamond Head, but get there EARLY before the crowds and the heat.

Maui: Recommend the Hana Highway. We've done it 3 times (including "all the way around" and have enjoyed it every time. Don't find it scary at all. Don't waste your time with whale watching in September. MAY see a whale about the chances are probably minimal.

Kona: Easy car rental. Gorgeous scenery once you get out of Kailua/Kona. Head to Hawi to see the old Hawai'i.

Hilo: Car rental at the airport. All rental companies have shuttles. Chain of Craters, for sure in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park. Park where the road ends and hike to where the road used to go before the lava closed it (and continues to close portions every year or so).

Whatever you do, can't conceive of being bored on the Islands. Go and enjoy!

I heard renting a car in Kailua/Kona is tricky because of the tender. Is that not true?

We pick the car up at Hertz at the Courtyard Marriott (King Kamehameha) which is literally at the pier. Like any tender port, there is always the possibility of delays or even cancellation of the port but that shouldn't much affect renting a car.

I highly recommend Escape Waikiki tours. We stayed a few days following our Sydney to Honolulu cruise this past April. We worked with Kevin for a tour of Oahu and he was great. He can accommodate a group from 2-12 people and is flexible about his itineraryk. His tour is highly rated on TripAdvisor.

https://www.escapewaikikitours.com/

We pick the car up at Hertz at the Courtyard Marriott (King Kamehameha) which is literally at the pier. Like any tender port, there is always the possibility of delays or even cancellation of the port but that shouldn't much affect renting a car.

Thanks! We overnight in Lahaina/Maui and I was trying to figure out what to do with the car when we're done. I heard the rental offices close early. Can we just do after hours drop off? I know we can park it overnight too. How easy is that?

Thanks! We overnight in Lahaina/Maui and I was trying to figure out what to do with the car when we're done. I heard the rental offices close early. Can we just do after hours drop off? I know we can park it overnight too. How easy is that?

Real easy to park overnight. Google since the lots/prices can change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all your help. I went ahead and booked in Kona at the Hertz location you mentioned since I have points.

Is there a Hertz location in Hilo I can use too?

Yes, at the airport. About 4 miles away. They should have a shuttle from the pier but give them a ring to verify.

Cachouonacruise,

Which company did you use for your Kona excursion?

Thanks, Vicky

We used Celebrity' shore excursion. They are a bit more expensive, but it was our first time in Hawaii; so we did not know what to expect in terms of traffic issues or difficulties to get to a rental car and delays involved in relation to the tender. But, we definitely enjoyed the Kona highlight excursion and the peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk