Transfer recommendations for SJO Costa Rica airport & Star Breeze in Puerto Caldera?

Jother

Hi my fellow Windstar lovers. I'm treating myself to the March 11 Costa Rica sailing on the Star Breeze and need some guidance regarding transfers between the SJO airport and the ship in Puerto Caldera.

It's my understanding it is a fairly long transfer and I am a solo traveler. So I'm wondering if buying the transfer from Windstar is my best option - - or if there is something reliable that might be less pricy (though I don't even know the price of the Windstar transfers - I suspect they will be high).

Also, does anyone know how long the transfer is between the airport and the Star Breeze? I'm trying to figure out air schedules.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Happy and Health New Year one and all! "jothie"

We completed our cruise on the Wind Star there and grabbed a cab once we were off the ship to the airport. We are a family of four so the cab made sense. I'm sorry I don't remember the cost and to be honest I can't remember how long a ride it was although I think it was maybe 2.5 hours? If you search some of the old threads it might be there or you could google the mileage to get an idea of the mileage. There was quite a bit of traffic going both ways.

We just departed SJO and trip to airport was a little over an hour but no weekday traffic. Used "my friend mario" recommened by other WS friend and trip advisor. Great service. Fare was $100 for 2 of us. They quoted $50 pp. Driver was safe. Clean van. Highly recommend. They are part of Almiza tours.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We seldom use WS transfers, but we did for a Puerta Caldera departure and I was happy. We combined it with the hotel, they were using th Marriott, and it was to be able to complete the Costa Rica immigration forms at the hotel the night before. We only booked one night via WS and booked the other on our own. The hotel was happy to combine the two and my status gave an upgraded room and lounge access for the entire stay. The trip to PC is not short and the facilities were somewhat chaotic. We could have done it on our own and I'm sure the hotel could have arranged transport, so either way should work.

We have done that trip many times. From the Marriott Hotel near the airport it is 1.5 hours because there is a relatively new highway. The cost for us two years ago was $50 pp, we were six people it was a van. The driver was terrific. Happy Sailing it is a great trip.

• 2 weeks later...

We're sailing out of Puerto Caldera on April 1st on Star Breeze . Just booked up with Christian at drivercostarica@gmail.com. we're heading to puntarenas town for a couple of days first, so that's $110 for a car for two. His website says they charge $95 for arivals car from SJO to Puerto Caldera. Web address is http://www.costaricadriver.net

BTW does anyone have experience with the boarding process at Puerto Caldera? I just read an acount where sniffer dogs check your bags, and then your bags are hand searched after that.

We're sailing out of Puerto Caldera on April 1st on Star Breeze . Just booked up with Christian at drivercostarica@gmail.com. we're heading to puntarenas town for a couple of days first, so that's $110 for a car for two. His website says they charge $95 for arivals car from SJO to Puerto Caldera. Web address is http://www.costaricadriver.net

BTW does anyone have experience with the boarding process at Puerto Caldera? I just read an acount where sniffer dogs check your bags, and then your bags are hand searched after that.

I don't recall dogs, but you first go into a hot departure building where your bags are indeed searched. We took the WS bus, and they let us off in groups so we could stay in the AC until the people were ready for us. Then we claimed our bags and queued up for the search, after which WS took them from us and put them on board.

Thanks Milepig

Are these people Costa Ricas version of our TSA? Looking for weapons explosive devices etc? Or are they the liquor police?

They aren't WS but I'm not sure if they're TSA types or Border Patrol/Customs types. I felt like it was a country departure search related to customs. We certainly filled out departure forms, which we also just did leaving Honduras but there was no search of luggage there.

Edited by milepig

Unfortunately our world is changing. I have felt that security in most of the ports we have been in with Windstar have been sorely lacking any type of meaningful security and that these ships are soft targets for terrorists. Will I stop sailing with them? Never or the bad guys win. But I am not in such a hurry that a few minutes for bag checks make a difference. In Colon three months ago we were met with police and dogs. Every piece of luggage was sniffed twice. Maybe because we were arriving from Colombia but no matter. The free world is on edge. We laugh when we go through metal detectors on the islands and nothing registers. Not once have we been stopped even though my husband is full of metal and in the US goes through full pat downs. Really, not a laughing matter, is it? A minor inconvenience here and there might save a life. That's fine by me.

Thanks again for all the great information. I decided to go ahead and spring for the WindStar transfers round trip at $69 each way.

I'm just fine with having very tight security anywhere and anytime! This world is getting crazier by the day - - and though no amount of security can keep us 100% safe, I'm all for doing anything that might deter the bad guys out there!

Safe travels, my fellow cruisers!

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for odyssey tours by brothers Diego and Alvaro, their email is odysseytours@gmail.com they are actually from Caldera town and the only drivers allowed to access with their very nice new Mercedes Benz vans the port facility in Caldera, very impressive for an independent operator not working direct with the cruise lines arriving there. Their website has very good information of Caldera port and their services: http://www.odysseytourscr.com/htmls/caldera.html

I went with them to Caldera twice so far and enjoyed the rides so much with all their knowledge and perfect English they speak (native) and also I was so happy I didn't have to walk those two miles from the gates to our ship carrying our luggage through the busy port full of trucks as everyone else with other drivers had to do so. I highly recommend them.

Please be cautious booking with Odsessy Tours, we had asked for tour/transport to the airport. It was really important for my DH to visit a coffee factory, yet we had an afternoon flight to make. We asked the company what time we would need to leave in order to have a quick stop at a coffee plantation. They told us we would need more time, as we had to take the "old" roads to the airport. They told us pick up at 8:30 am.

They were there timely, and able to pick up from the ship. Unfortunately they told me that morning that they needed $40 more for the tour, which was not mentioned in the confirmation email. We did have a nice drive and views on the old road, but our "coffee tour" was a three minute stop on the side of the road, where we went to find a coffee plant, and he told us a little about it. THAT"S IT! It in no way met our expectations for the tour, and the owners were not very responsive to my email.

We paid the extra money, but were very disappointed with the transfer / tour. Be cautious when booking with them.

Hi whycruisewhynot,

I would like to know more about your negative experience with odyssey. Alvaro is now my best friend in Costa Rica and so I copied your input here to him and he already send me a screenshot of your email in which it clearly reads you asked for a stop by a coffee plantation along the way with the time limitation you had making it impossible to visit a full coffee tour due your departure flight, I can share the screenshot here if you wish. Not nice to lie!!

He says he send you a personal English speaking guide and driver and a new Mercedes Benz for only $140 for two people special deal since you reserved multiple services with them for week or so and you were expecting that super affordable ride to include a full coffee factory which cost much more, I have been told $29 each just the coffee tour ticket for a tour of 1 hour on spot.

I would like to add Costa Rica is a very beautiful country but also very expensive, I love to visit it and try to travel in a budget the must I can, and I've found Alvaro by odyssey tours to be my best travel consultant in order to make the most of my money. Sorry if you two didn't have really good communication which I feel it was your issue petty much.

Hi whycruisewhynot,

I would like to know more about your negative experience with odyssey. Alvaro is now my best friend in Costa Rica and so I copied your input here to him and he already send me a screenshot of your email in which it clearly reads you asked for a stop by a coffee plantation along the way with the time limitation you had making it impossible to visit a full coffee tour due your departure flight, I can share the screenshot here if you wish. Not nice to lie!!

He says he send you a personal English speaking guide and driver and a new Mercedes Benz for only $140 for two people special deal since you reserved multiple services with them for week or so and you were expecting that super affordable ride to include a full coffee factory which cost much more, I have been told $29 each just the coffee tour ticket for a tour of 1 hour on spot.

I would like to add Costa Rica is a very beautiful country but also very expensive, I love to visit it and try to travel in a budget the must I can, and I've found Alvaro by odyssey tours to be my best travel consultant in order to make the most of my money. Sorry if you two didn't have really good communication which I feel it was your issue petty much.

Looks like the only thing you ever post is about this tour company. Do you realize that advertising is not permitted on this site?

Hi whycruisewhynot,

I have to agree with sb44 the thing know anything about is costa rica

I

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by tugboat