Quick Review: Thanksgiving on Divina (YC)

HornedFrogCruiser

This was our second time sailing with MSC. We loved our first YC experience last Christmas, and had been eagerly awaiting a second chance to be on board. What follows isn't comprehensive, but is intended to highlight changes we experienced the second time around.

1. With a couple of notable exceptions, we were surprised how few YC folks we met previously were working the YC this time. The turnover in Le Muse was 100%, and only a couple of other staff remained in the YC area. We liked the new maitre d' in Le Muse, Mario.

2. While we mostly enjoyed our meals in Le Muse last year, this cruise seemed a couple of significant notches better. The key difference could have been that we were fortunate enough to have Anna as our server each evening. She learned our tastes and preferences, and gave consistently reliable advice on what dishes to order. It got to the point that we would just pretty much let her decide what to eat most evenings. Anna was really sweet to my family, and made such a difference for us with her amazing, caring service! Even so, I would have to say that the overall quality of the cooking had definitely gone up since our first time.

3. Also, we really appreciated the great advice of Davide, the sommelier. I'm a huge fan of Italian red wines, and he recommended a number of "off menu" wines that were just fantastic, and well-priced given their quality. Just let him know what you like, and your budget, and he'll work his magic!

4. Our butler, Eric, was much more involved in helping our cruise go smoothly, much more than I remember our butler doing last year. Just one quick example. This morning, during disembarkation, Eric showed up at our stateroom at the requested time of 8:00 a.m. Because of his personally attending to our departure, we were literally off the boat in an incredible 15 minutes and in a cab for the airport in 20. Unbelievable.

5. Likewise, embarkation was amazingly stress free. Left the Intercontinental at 10:20, and we were at the terminal by 10:40. By 10:50 we were seated in the YC waiting area, preparing for a long wait to get on the boat. Much to our surprise, and delight, we were led to the YC a little after 11:15, and were enjoying our first glass of champagne in the Top Sail just minutes later. Outstandingly efficient!

6. Eataly was, as before, great. While I'm not a huge fan of its decor, everything I ate there just tasted like Italy. I'm fortunate to have travelled to Italy more than 20 times, and the chefs at Eataly turn out incredibly authentic food that I would put on par with some of the best meals I've had in Italy. It's completely worthwhile, whether for dinner or (as we did) for lunch on sea days.

Those are the main differences I can recall right now . . . please feel free to ask any questions you might have!

We're already booked for the Meravigilia in July, and Seaside in March of 2018, so I guess we're officially hooked on MSC. We used to be confirmed Princess customers, but I doubt we'll ever go back.

Nice review thank you. I'm thinking of booking MSC.

Do you always book Yacht Club?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are booked in the YC for our two upcoming cruises, so yes. One thing that worries me is that, as more and more people discover the YC, prices will go up and that I won't be able to afford it anymore.

But for now, it's just an incredible value proposition. Imho.

I am curious if Mario (the new maitre' d in Le Muse) is the same Mario that was in Villa Rosa dining room last year. He was a very nice man and we enjoyed him!! We will find out in 9 days!!

I'm not sure if it is, but I'm guessing yes. He was, as you say, very nice, very accommodating. Whether it was our waiter Anna, Davide the sommelier, or Mario, they all did a wonderful job of interacting with guests just enough to make the experience highly personal, but not so much that it became intrusive or overbearing.

Thanks for your review. Is Giuseppe still working at e muse as assistant Maitre d?

Giuseppe was the Maitre D' in Le Muse on our cruise last December, but he is no longer working in Le Muse or Yacht Club area. Likewise, Luigi the sommelier wasn't there this year either. Even so, Mario (Maitre D') and Davide (sommelier) both did an excellent job!

We did the YC a few times last year and got to know the staff really well. Our last cruise was in August and we found out that almost all the crew were going home for 3 months leave as the Divina was going into dry dock for a few weeks in Sept. I am hoping some of our favorites will be back on board when we cruise again in January.

Thank you for your review! I thought the food changed a lot in quality in Le Muse from our frist cruise to our 2nd. We honestly did not care for the food that much but enjoyed the YC. The food the last few times was MUCH better!

Edited by jewliana

Thank you for sharing! Happy to hear a positive review close to my December sailing! Hope some of these staff members take care of me too!

What deck were you on?

Did you eat in Eataly with the complimentary black card meal? If so, how were the choices for that menu?

Thank you for sharing! Happy to hear a positive review close to my December sailing! Hope some of these staff members take care of me too!

What deck were you on?

Did you eat in Eataly with the complimentary black card meal? If so, how were the choices for that menu?

We were in one of the "square" rooms on Mercurio - 15029. It was our second time in that particular cabin.

We did eat in Eataly using our complimentary black card certificate. On our first cruise a year ago, I believe that they restricted us to a more limited set menu, though I don't remember the specifics.

This year, there was substantial more latitude - we could order two from the following three: (1) any appetizer (2) any pasta or (3) any meat dish. Also included is a desert. Wine was extra (they had a 500 ml bottle of red wine for $21 that was actually quite nice). I had the beef carpaccio (excellent) and a pasta. My wife had a pasta and the surf and turf. We were too full for dessert! BTW, the filet she was served seemed to be prime beef . . . genuine steakhouse quality.

We went at lunch on a sea day, and could have gone again with our second complimentary certificate. But we didn't, because we just couldn't bear missing a meal at Le Muse.

I hope you have an outstanding cruise, and feel sure that you will!

We sail the Divina yacht club every March.

Youtube it....Divina yacht club... As great as that looks...it is even better.

We would never be able to cruise MSC again in a different category & no other ship has anything to compare it to....especially for the price.

We sail the Divina yacht club every March.

Youtube it....Divina yacht club... As great as that looks...it is even better.

We would never be able to cruise MSC again in a different category & no other ship has anything to compare it to....especially for the price.

Whether in the YC or on a plane - once you've been up front, it's really hard to go back!

We feel so fortunate that we get to try the YC on the Meraviglia this summer, and we're so excited! She will be on just her 6th or 7th voyage, so maybe the kinks will have been worked out but still have that new ship smell. Then, just nine months later in March, we'll get to be on Seaside. Maybe our paths will cross then!