QM2 at sea activities

davidle

My wife has booked us on a cruise from Dubai to Southampton in April 2017 on the QM2. I assumed that once the ship entered the Med it would stop every day or second day at interesting ports, but unfortunately there are only three stops versus seven days at sea. I remember both P&O and Carnival cruises where on sea days there was nothing to do - I get bored witless sitting around. Can anyone convince me that there is an abundance of engaging activities to do on this seriously expensive voyage!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Activities include:

Cunard Insights lectures*

planeterium

trivia

afternoon tea

sports activities (quoits, darts, table tennis, etc.)

dance lessons

art lessons

fencing lessons (on some sailings)

Bingo

gaming lessons

movies

live music presentations

bridge classes

*Lectures scheduled for 18 April-8 May (subject to change) are

Dr Suzannah Lipscomb - Historian, TV Presenter, Writer and Academic

John Peters - RAF Squadron Leader captured by Iraqis and Business Coach

John Laverick - Civil Engineer

General Sir Simon Mayall - British Army Office and Middle East Expert

George McGhee Film Historian

Brian Hawley - Ocean Liner Historian

Dennis Molner - Military Historian

Edited by Scrapnana

My wife has booked us on a cruise from Dubai to Southampton in April 2017 on the QM2. I assumed that once the ship entered the Med it would stop every day or second day at interesting ports, but unfortunately there are only three stops versus seven days at sea. I remember both P&O and Carnival cruises where on sea days there was nothing to do - I get bored witless sitting around. Can anyone convince me that there is an abundance of engaging activities to do on this seriously expensive voyage!

I usually find the biggest problem is to fit everything in - never been bored on sea days. Scrapnana's listing of the speakers looks brilliant.

I usually find the biggest problem is to fit everything in - never been bored on sea days. Scrapnana's listing of the speakers looks brilliant.

My thoughts as well. One of my favourite activities on "sea days" is doing nothing and I have difficulty finding time to do that:). I'm surprised the OP found nothing to do on P&O. Perhaps the situation has changed since my four cruises with them, but there were plenty of activities.

The ship is also a photographic museum of Cunard & White Star passenger ship history. I believe you can check out headsets for audio narration accompanying the displays (in the elevator lobbies and forward on 2/3) but I've never done so

Hi,

I have spent many days at sea on the QM2 and have never been bored. As indicated above, there are many activities scheduled throughout the day. I think Cunard does an outstanding job of offering interesting activities during the sea days.

Chuck

We are on the QM2 mostly for Atlantic crossings where there are only sea days. We adore our time on the ship, and compared to other lines that we have crossed on (Azamara, Seabourn, Crystal), the sea day activities on QM2 are far more numerous and engaging. As an active person, I would also add to the things listed on this thread that the QM2 has a large well-equipped fitness center where one can spend a lot of time working off desserts. There is also a terrific full circumference walking/jogging track outside which passengers enjoy in great numbers. IMHO the Cunard lecture series is pretty darn good, lots of different subjects, lots of professional presenters. QM2 has a good library where you can find a book to read when you are not mesmerized by gazing at the sea. Have a terrific time!

The QM2 has a very good Canyon Ranch spa with a thalassotherapy pool, saunas, and other amenities. I tend to spend several hours in there several times during a crossing. Then there is afternoon tea, which every passenger should participate in once or twice during a trip such as this. And there are bridge games, computer and photography classes, knitting circles, wine tastings, napkin folding lessons, etc. I also have found that I stay quite busy during a seven-day crossing without ever playing bingo, trivia, or any other reindeer games. And don't forget the largest library at sea and the behind the scenes tour. Lots and lots to do on QM2.

Edited by Whirled Peas