Passport renewal

LisaAtlCruiser

Not sure if this belongs in the RCCL forum or a general forum - but my passport expires next March. I am planning to renew right after my upcoming cruise but only have just over 8 weeks between that one and the one after. They say processing time is generally 6 weeks so I should have plenty of time. But I am wondering what others experience is. I may go ahead and pay the extra $60 to expedite it just for the peace of mind.

Thoughts?

Not sure if this belongs in the RCCL forum or a general forum - but my passport expires next March. I am planning to renew right after my upcoming cruise but only have just over 8 weeks between that one and the one after. They say processing time is generally 6 weeks so I should have plenty of time. But I am wondering what others experience is. I may go ahead and pay the extra $60 to expedite it just for the peace of mind.

Thoughts?

Well, you haven't posted in a general forum nor in RCCL. This is for smaller cruise lines!

You must be looking for advice for an American passport, right?

At any rate, check out the activity level of your own roll call to see whether you could get advice there.

I would pay the extra dollars for an expedited service. Not sure how long the passports lasts, but it can't be much extra when you figure how much it is per year, i.e. $60 over 10 years is just $6 per year.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/processing-times.html

Edited by Tansy Mews

If I were you I would get a new certified copy (or two) of your birth certificate. If the passport renewal took too long, you could still use the BC to travel on the next cruise to the Caribbean.

^^^^^^^^^^

This is the best idea....or you could renew now.

As noted, your passport is not required for Caribbean cruises....so why expedite a renewal that usually takes 2-3 weeks?

^^^^^^^^^^

This is the best idea....or you could renew now.

As noted, your passport is not required for Caribbean cruises....so why expedite a renewal that usually takes 2-3 weeks?

Hummm. You may know something I don't. My cruise starts and ends in San Juan but it goes to countries that have a requirement that my passport be good for 6 months. So even if I am going to countries that require passports - if my cruise starts and ends in San Juan than I could go with my birth certificate? I also have citizenship papers since I am a military bratt born abroad.

The US government website explains about closed loop cruises and says:

HOWEVER, it is possible that one or more of the Caribbean Islands on your itinerary, does require you to have a passport to enter their country. In that case, it is very possible that the cruise line will require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a U.S. requirement.

Source: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

However, CC says something different - http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2063

Normally, SintMaarten requires a passport valid at the time of entry and so does St. Martin, with 6 months validity.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/sint-maarten.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/FrenchWestIndies.html

Edited by Tansy Mews

I sent mine and my DH 's passports in for renewal (put both in same envelope but clearly marked "Two Inside") and we got them back in slightly under 6 weeks (maybe 5). 8 shouldn't be a problem. They do let you know via email when they've received it and ironically only 2 or 3 days after we got an email advising that it was being processed we received the new ones in the mail and two days later the old ones back (invalidated). Of course the expedited fee is probably worht the piece of mind

Hope this helps

Thank you everyone! You have been so helpful. Since I have slightly over 8 weeks between cruises I am planning to have everything ready and mail overnight as soon as I get home from my Sept cruise - but I won't expedite. My November cruise is a "closed loop" cruise and I checked all the countries and with closed loop - I don't need a passport. My preference is to have my new passport in hand - but at least I know I don't need to stress about it. If need be, I can travel on my previous expired passport and my global entry card.

If need be, I can travel on my previous expired passport and my global entry card.
Nope, using an expired passport has been discontinued as an option when the WHTI went into effect in 2009. You will need your FS-240 (Consular Report of Birth Abroad) or your Certificate of Citizenship, plus a government issued ID (Global entry works just fine for ID). That's for the Caribbean RT from San Juan. Expired passports are no longer considered proof of citizenship.

Nope, using an expired passport has been discontinued as an option when the WHTI went into effect in 2009. You will need your FS-240 (Consular Report of Birth Abroad) or your Certificate of Citizenship, plus a government issued ID (Global entry works just fine for ID). That's for the Caribbean RT from San Juan. Expired passports are no longer considered proof of citizenship.

Okay - thank you! I have both of those documents. I think I most likely will have my new passport back - but better to be prepared :-)

Yep! I just wanted to make sure you brought the correct documents instead of leaving them at home. Nothing worse than having the right ones and not bringing them. I, too think you have a good chance of getting the passport back in time. Sometimes there is an end of summer backlog, but by September the turnaround drops back into the two-three week renewal range.