Cruising this weekend & I'm disappointed :(

SportsMomof4

Sorry to bear bad news, but while Fiona js done, the NHC is watching an area of disturbance in the eastern Caribbean for development. Potential to impact Florida and Bahamas over the next 5 days. Maybe you'll end up with a trip to Bermuda instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to bear bad news, but while Fiona js done, the NHC is watching an area of disturbance in the eastern Caribbean for development. Potential to impact Florida and Bahamas over the next 5 days. Maybe you'll end up with a trip to Bermuda instead!

Yes....this is what I'm worried about. Not looking good.

I'm busy watching the news since I live here in Brickell, Miami and am cruising on Friday 9/2.

Invest 99L is the one to be watching right now. It has a 70% chance of being something by Friday. The European model shows it coming across south Florida on Monday and going back into the gulf. The US model shows it still being in the Bahamas on Sunday and hitting florida and moving up.

This is something to watch.

I have found that Jeff Masters who runs weather underground and used to work for National Hurricane Center is always spot on in his predictions.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2016/Invest-99L?map=model

I too am booked to sail on the NCL Sky this weekend....leaving tomorrow actually and have not been successful in obtaining any information from the cruise line regarding a re-route, or cancellation, or what. Anyone else having success? I do not want to spend 2 days straight at closed Ports due to this torrential down pour/Hurricane/Tropical storm. I would prefer to sail and stay at sea for the 4 days, somewhere in the sun and away from rough waters and rip currents.

I'm beginning to panic....terrified!

My Husband called yesterday about 2pm. They said in 24 hours they will have something posted on their website. Nothing yet. Considering we are sailing in just about 24 hours, I would really like to know what's going on. This is frustrating. I think they are still investigating the situatuon & they just don't know yet. That's the problem! I'm stressed too!

These types of storms can take different directions at any time so NCL and their weather guessers will wait until the last minute to make a decision. The Captain will ensure the safety and the comfort of the passengers.

In other words, relax a bit. No good stressing over things you cannot control.

Enjoy the cruise. :)

Thx Colin :)

I'll certainly do my best to enjoy this trip, although my idea of staying in a cabin for the whole duration of this cruise will really suck. I have never sailed NCL so this is the first time. The Sky appears to be on the smaller side. Anyone know what the protocol is if it storms for the whole duration of the cruise? Do we all flock in common areas? Anyone have past experiences on this ship during a time like this? Any pointers on enjoying myself without having to drink myself silly LOL. Although I'm sure the booze will help take the edge off.

Thx Colin :)

I'll certainly do my best to enjoy this trip, although my idea of staying in a cabin for the whole duration of this cruise will really suck. I have never sailed NCL so this is the first time. The Sky appears to be on the smaller side. Anyone know what the protocol is if it storms for the whole duration of the cruise? Do we all flock in common areas? Anyone have past experiences on this ship during a time like this? Any pointers on enjoying myself without having to drink myself silly LOL. Although I'm sure the booze will help take the edge off.

I feel the same way. This is my 1st NCL cruise too so I'm not sure. I'm preparing for rain & lots of it !

We took our first cruise with Norwegian during storm season a couple of years ago. We were slightly rerouted along the north shore of Cuba in order to avoid a tropical storm. In the words of the Captain, "NCL isn't paying me to destroy a billion dollar ship!"

Truthfully, tropical storms are like the elephants of weather systems. They're huge and move very slowly, so there is plenty of time to prepare and adjust.

Anyone embarking tomorrow through Sunday is just going to have to go with the flow. They will not make any changes to the planned itineraries or course until there is a reason to do so. A maybe/maybe not storm 850 miles away is not a reason...yet.

Given the current prediction, don't expect a port-of-call on Saturday in the Bahamas. For many, that's not a bad thing :)

Sky will depart tomorrow, for sure. They need the berth for Getaway on Saturday and during a storm a ship is safer at sea because it can avoid the storm.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

People buy more drinks in the sun then rain ....so I predict the Captain will sail towards where ever there is sun :p:cool:

For me and the DH this statement is the complete opposite. We totally drink more in the rain. We love a rainy vacation day, they're so much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As others have posted, the captain and NCL have been watching what's going on and will change the course as necessary to steer clear of bad weather if possible. They don't want to have to deal with high waves, winds, stormy weather, etc., either.

Oh, and life on the ship should just run along as normal unless they might be a need to restrict to cabins for some reason. Not sure if they do that or not. Never been in weather bad enough it could be appropriate.

Edited by cml4958

Do we all flock in common areas? Anyone have past experiences on this ship during a time like this?

We've been on the Sky many, many times and primarily flock in the privacy of of our cabin. But, hey. Whatever floats your boat!

Does anyone know when NCL or the Captain will tell us about an itinerary change?? I'd love to be able to tell my kids & Mom what the course of action is. Everyone is nervous especially my 10 year old. He has visions of us being on the Titanic lol!! Ugh.

Edited by SportsMomof4

Looks like all you have to worry about is some rain. Check out the National Hurricane Center webpage. Gaston is turning into a fish storm and doesn't look like the area of disturbance in the Caribbean is likely to evolve into a bigger storm at this point. Pack a rain poncho and have fun!

Does anyone know when NCL or the Captain will tell us about an itinerary change?? I'd love to be able to tell my kids & Mom what the course of action is. Everyone is nervous especially my 10 year old. He has visions of us being on the Titanic lol!! Ugh.

Like I said earlier. They do a good job of posting changes and weather updates on the front page of NCL.com.