Carnival cruise from Long Beach ? regarding 12 year old

gypsyroselee

We are planning on taking a cruise in mid September from Long Beach to Mexican Riviera taking our 12 year old granddaughter. Would there possibly be other 12 year olds on board? Is it safe to let her join in the kids clubs? Really concerned we will loose her for hours on board. Scary[emoji41]

Sent from my ThL W8 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that I understand the question.

Isn't the whole idea of the (safe) kids clubs to give the kids something to do for hours on end.

Can't you check her in and out at will?

What is the real concern here?

Actually, if you hadn't been registered here for such a long time, I would just consider this as a troll / snark posting.

gary

There will be some but not a lot of kids onboard. The school year will have already begun by mid-September.

On our October HI cruise there were about 20 kids in the 12-17 age range, one club for 12-14 and the other 15-17. Sometimes the activities were combined and sometimes they were apart. A few times we saw them (they travel in packs at this age :p) getting food up on the buffet.

The first night onboard, after muster, there will be a registration meeting. Grab a schedule for your GD and another one for yourself at this time. Have her go to the first night's activity. That's when friendships begin to form.

For more information look on the Carnival Board and the Family Board.

Edited by SadieN

There will be some but not a lot of kids onboard. The school year will have already begun by mid-September.

On our October HI cruise there were about 20 kids in the 12-17 age range, one club for 12-14 and the other 15-17. Sometimes the activities were combined and sometimes they were apart. A few times we saw them (they travel in packs at this age :p) getting food up on the buffet.

The first night onboard, after muster, there will be a registration meeting. Grab a schedule for your GD and another one for yourself at this time. Have her go to the first night's activity. That's when friendships begin to form.

For more information look on the Carnival Board and the Family Board.

SadieN,

Thank you for the information

Hi

I haven't been with carnival but this came up on my news feed.

I travelled with my son on a few cruises and the first time was worried about if he would be safe.

However... They are in a kids activity space designed for then. Two of the cruises I had to collect him Before he was allowed out so no roaming about for him. As he got older he could go and get lunch etc with his friends and we arranged to meet him by the pool.

Some tines they went to late night cinema but they have a member of staff with them. I would test how you feel leaving her and I am sure she will have a great time.

I took my nieces 9 and 11 on an eight day cruise last October. There were indeed kids on board, and they had a great time. I believe they can check themselves out at will at 12 years of age (if I remember correctly). You may want to purchase a set of walkie-talkies. We weren't always able to pick the kids up on them, but they weren't very expensive. There were others doing the same thing, as we would hear them talking to their kids. It allows you to tell them exactly where you are at, and where you can find them. Just a thought. Also, I never felt uneasy at letting them have the run of the ship, during the day. The aunt came out more at night. ;)

I'm not sure that I understand the question.

Isn't the whole idea of the (safe) kids clubs to give the kids something to do for hours on end.

Can't you check her in and out at will?

What is the real concern here?

Actually, if you hadn't been registered here for such a long time, I would just consider this as a troll / snark posting.

gary

WOW! I would have a concern also, as a parent, and as a grandparent for a 12 year old. The question is how secure, and safe is the kid's club for a 12 year old girl. The concern is, whether a 12 year old girl would be in a safe environment, or is it an open environment? What are the rules. How are they handled. What if something happens? Etc. Etc. Etc. I'm the expert on Snark postings, and this post seems real!

A ship is like a small town. Does your grand daughter go by herself at home to school or to a store to buy a soda or to a movie with friends? The camp at that age will have activities that the children may decide to do or not.

You will have to set rules for her. You'll have to decide how you want her to communicate with you and if you'll allow her to go up to the Lido with a friend to get food or if you want her to check in with you first.

No one can ever guarantee safety for anyone anywhere in the world. You can do things to make your family safe by discussing the behavior you expect. It will depend on what she is used to at home and what your comfort level might be.

I grew up in New York City and was traveling by myself on buses and subways to school when I was about her age.

Your granddaughter's experience with the world may be more sheltered?

Edited by riffatsea

Others have provided some excellent advise. One bit that bares repeating. Go the first night. Kids form bonds quickly. By going the first night your DGD will have the best chance for meeting her new BFF.

I will share with you my recent experience traveling with a 3 year old and an 11 year old.

The 11 year old grandson had the option of signing himself in and out of camp. His mother choose to not allow it on the first day but changed it later in the cruise. The change came about as DGS learned the ship better and his mom felt more comfortable about safety.

The camp is serious about safety. DGD is a mini me of her daddy. He went to pick her up one night and didn't have his S&S card and they wouldn't let him have her. He even had the telephone, provided for parents of the little bitty ones and her running up to him yelling daddy.

I took my nieces 9 and 11 on an eight day cruise last October. There were indeed kids on board, and they had a great time. I believe they can check themselves out at will at 12 years of age (if I remember correctly). You may want to purchase a set of walkie-talkies. We weren't always able to pick the kids up on them, but they weren't very expensive. There were others doing the same thing, as we would hear them talking to their kids. It allows you to tell them exactly where you are at, and where you can find them. Just a thought. Also, I never felt uneasy at letting them have the run of the ship, during the day. The aunt came out more at night. ;)

I also used the walkie takies when my son was that age on a cruise and it worked great! I had him check in with me and we had no issue's. The deal was answer when i call or hanging out with friends alone is no longer an option ...period .

I'm right there with you. This is our first cruise and we are taking out three kids ages 15, 12, and 10. My husband and I have concerns about safety and I hate that you get answer from someone like it's not a legit concern. Thanks for posting. These tips will be helpful

Wow Thank you to everyone that posted, I feel more comfortable now. I want her to have fun. On my previous cruises I did see the children move through various areas at night in a group with a cruise member in charge, they always seemed to be enjoying themselves. On the Magic there were 1,000 children on board but you would not have known it & it was seeing the waterworks etc that convinced me I wanted to let my grandchildren enjoy the experience.