Amber Cove

acadran

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone been yet?

Scheduled to open in October 2015. Given Sept and Oct are peak hurricane months and that the DR typically experiences more tropical storm weather than the US in any year, there could be delays.

• 5 weeks later...
There are significant delays with the road widening project from Amber Cove to Puerto Plata. It is way, way behind schedule.

Not sure if this will effect when Carnival begins using the port. :eek:

Oh No! I hope not. We booked this cruise because of Amber cove and the alternative would be Nassau. We never book a cruise to Nassau anymore if we can help it. There is still time but I wish Carnival would make decisions earlier than they do. Please keep us updated if you get anymore info. Cindy

I'm planning to book the Victory's 5 day cruise (10/03/2015) that will make stops in Grand Turk and Amber Cove. If I'm correct, it'll be one of the first ships to make the stop in that part of DR. I can't wait!!! :D

Hey Lola...there is a group of about 180 of us on that same cruise with you!!:D:D:D

Hey Lola...there is a group of about 180 of us on that same cruise with you!!:D:D:D

We are on the Victory 10/03/2015 cruise also. If you haven't already, come over and talk to us on our Roll Call. It's pretty quiet so far but I think it will pick up as we get closer. Being the first ones at the port makes it more difficult for us becuase no one has scouted out all the fun stuff to do there. I am excited to find out though! Cindy

Edited by mosel

My GFs and I just booked a cruise on the Victory in December going to this port. I'm excited. I did an all-inclusive in Punta Cana (although not near this port) and had their local rum (Mamajuana) and it was AMAZING. I hope to be able to find it at this port. We are pondering doing one of the all-inclusive resorts on the island. We'll see though, just waiting on more information about the port before we book anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for the great information! I had found some information before I found this thread, and now even more. :-)

I am excited that we will be visiting this port next February. I will be watching for feedback about shore excursions from travelers before then. We have been to a few locations in the DR (Punta Cana, Puerto Plata, La Romana), and we loved them all! We booked a private excursion in La Romana, and it was one of our best.

From what I read, the first cruisers will be there October 6th. Please share your experiences ~ thanks!

Thank you everyone for the great information! I had found some information before I found this thread, and now even more. :-)

I am excited that we will be visiting this port next February. I will be watching for feedback about shore excursions from travelers before then. We have been to a few locations in the DR (Punta Cana, Puerto Plata, La Romana), and we loved them all! We booked a private excursion in La Romana, and it was one of our best.

From what I read, the first cruisers will be there October 6th. Please share your experiences ~ thanks!

I'm looking forward to reading about experiences cruisers are going to have in Amber Cove.

I see you have been to Puerto Plata. We will most likely head there when we dock in Amber Cove. Is there any tips or things you liked when you visited? We are all excited to have this port on our cruise.

I'm looking forward to reading about experiences cruisers are going to have in Amber Cove.

I see you have been to Puerto Plata. We will most likely head there when we dock in Amber Cove. Is there any tips or things you liked when you visited? We are all excited to have this port on our cruise.

When we were in Puerto Plata we stayed in a resort, although we did book a shore excursion while there. It was through Laguna Jeep Safari, and we loved it. It included lunch and we stopped at several local places (church, large waterfall with locals jumping off and swimming for all at the bottom, banana plantation, beach, rum tasting--not a distillery; just a small building, and more).

I just tried to look up the excursion to see if I could get the link to share, but what I found says it is an excursion only for guests at the resort we stayed in. I imagine they are all similar, so I guess we will be looking for a new company.

Following this thread. We wont be visiting this port until Dec 2016. Seems so far away. But Im so excited and look forward to the reviews. I do see on Carnivals website there are excursions we can book now but I enjoy reading others reviews before committing to an excursion. The all inclusives do look tempting tho. Looking forward to the actual reviews :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all!!!!

My lovely family of 5 recently booked the Carnival Magic leaving Port Canaveral (Orlando) July 23, 2016. We picked this cruise because it is close to the end of summer for our kids, we LOVE Grand Turk, and we have never been to any of the other 3 islands on the itinerary. Found out 2 days ago that the Magic will be going to dry dock and getting some 2.0 upgrades.

I came to CC to find information on the other ports of call and stumbled across this post. I had no idea that Amber Cove is a new port!!!! I am really excited to see the reviews and pics of this port, especially having never cruised to DR before.

Does anyone know what the progress is with Amber Cove? We are leaving Oct. 26th on our cruise and sure hope it's finished enough to stop there! I would love to see pictures of the progress. There are a few on facebook but nothing recent. Any info?

Thanks!

Does anyone know what the progress is with Amber Cove? We are leaving Oct. 26th on our cruise and sure hope it's finished enough to stop there! I would love to see pictures of the progress. There are a few on facebook but nothing recent. Any info?

Thanks!

If your on Facebook they have a page you can like. They post pictures on there and show progress. Or you can just google it and see pictures there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe we stopped at Amber Cove in July. The dock area was clean and new but the city is still awful. The taxi company has one person sending you to a cab and really did not listen to what we wanted to do. We wanted to go shopping and instead we went on a tour where Sammy Sousa lived and then to a Marina where only 2 stores were open. We were finally taken downtown to a market area but it was not impressive.