passport control

aruok

hello, I have a question about the passport control upon boarding Azamara Quest.

my wife and I would be taking a cruise in may 2017 from Venice - Croatia Inside Passage. talking to Azamara it is not clear whether our passports would be stamped.

can anyone share their experience in that area?

we have a small "problem" of spending 90+ days in EU and need a VISA, however if the duration of the cruise (particularly the part of being outside of EU) can be counted than the "problem" would be eliminated.

thank you

Although we do not necessarily have our passports stamped in Europe they do get logged electronically when you arrive and again when you leave which might not be until the end of your cruise. If that is more than 90 days it will depend on which airport you exit through as to how it will work and whether you are challenged as overstaying.

When we were on the Island Princess in Venice overnight and were going on and off the ship we had our passports checked each time whereas other ports have not had to show passports.

In Southampton for a Med cruise, our US passports were held on check-in being non-EU citizens. It was returned before disembarkation without being stamped.

The opp is not asking about the UK, which has never been part of the borderless EU zone. On an Adriatic cruise, as others have commented, the opp's passport won't be checked. However, it will indeed be electronically checked and registered at the airport upon arrival in the EU and again upon departure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought the UK just voted to leave the EU, the UK citizen I discussed it with was talking about the lack of borders. What was that vote about, if the UK wasn't part of the borderless EU zone?

I thought the UK just voted to leave the EU, the UK citizen I discussed it with was talking about the lack of borders. What was that vote about, if the UK wasn't part of the borderless EU zone?

Not wanting a political debate but the border control issue was only one part of the rhetoric. Sadly also there was a significant amount of misinformation postured by both sides (stay and leave). Lots of chickens are coming home to roost. It will be another two or three years before we know the impact and any changes will be introduced. Lets just leave Brexit at that!

It's complicated but the Brexit vote was for the UK to leave the European Union. The European borderless area is set by the Schengen Agreement which both the UK and Republic of Ireland opted out of. Conversely Norway which is not a member of the European Union is party to the Schengen Agreement.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The opp is not asking about the UK, which has never been part of the borderless EU zone. On an Adriatic cruise, as others have commented, the opp's passport won't be checked. However, it will indeed be electronically checked and registered at the airport upon arrival in the EU and again upon departure.

All ports we visited on our Med cruise from Southampton UK R/T were part of EU.

Our US passports were left on check-in the UK upon advise that it is required by the EU. We did not argue.

Having spent 14 days in the EU, I offered my experience based on OP's "small problem of spending 90+ days in EU and need a VISA, however if the duration of the cruise (particularly the part of being outside of EU) can be counted than the "problem" would be eliminated".

My apologies if you believe my post was out of topic for the OP, or was in error.