Syracuse

QueenP

As Azamara is one of the few cruise companies that goes to Syracuse, I'm hoping some readers have been there and can tell me about it. Can you spend a day wandering happily around Ortygia? Has anyone been to Noto? Comparisons between the two? Any advice appreciated!

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

You will actually tender at Ortigia, which is a gorgeous old town. We wandered the market in Ortigia in the morning and did some shopping in town. There are some wonderful artisans within the myriad of alley ways.

After lunch, we met our guide (privately arranged) for a tour of Parco Archeologico in Siracusa. We then came back into Ortigia with our guide and toured more sites. The church is fascinating.

As Azamara is one of the few cruise companies that goes to Syracuse, I'm hoping some readers have been there and can tell me about it. Can you spend a day wandering happily around Ortygia? Has anyone been to Noto? Comparisons between the two? Any advice appreciated!

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

I was in Siracusa...spelt the Italian way....on Journey a month ago. It's a nice little low key port, there was a market, bit touristy tacky but OK for a wander. Some nice shops in the town, an ancient Roman temple and some great seafood restaurants and in the little town square there is a fantastic gelato place. There was a beach slightly outside the town, but we didn't go there. Some friends onboard walked across the bridge to Ortygia and said it was lovely...we saved it for next time! :)

We tendered in a few years ago from the Quest - Loved Siracusa! Enjoyed a ramble around the piazzas and walks on the breakwater and of course, divine espresso!

Don't miss Caravaggio's dark and dramatic "The Burial of St. Lucy" currently hanging in the Santa Lucia alla Badia church on Ortigia. Evidently there is a movement to return the painting to the nearby basilica, Santa Lucia al Sepolcro, in an effort to boost tourism there. Whatever the Palermo powers decide, it's a masterpiece and worth your time while in port.