Norovirus strikes again

TFM70

As far as I know, cruise ships that call on USA ports are the only conveyance or anything that are required by the US CDC to report the incidence of Norovirus aboard. This is why you seem to see it only associated with cruise ships. It is certainly more widespread than just aboard ships.

As far as I know, cruise ships that call on USA ports are the only conveyance or anything that are required by the US CDC to report the incidence of Norovirus aboard. This is why you seem to see it only associated with cruise ships. It is certainly more widespread than just aboard ships.

It also makes for catchy headlines.

Our granddaughter was so sick with norovirus last week she thought she was dying. Both of her parents work at schools so she either got it from other students or her parents who also got bad cases of norovirus. :(

I've read that there's a new strain to the US of norovirus this winter and they're expecting a 50% increase of cases this year.

Edited by Astro Flyer

It also makes for catchy headlines.

Exactly! The news media likes to sensationalize too many things...panic people & they increase viewers worried about the latest crisis! :eek:

As you know, LA area weather forecasters overhype being on "storm watch" whenever a drop of rain falls. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

Great for headlines. Media in Australia reported major outbreak of Noro on Diamond 150 passengers affected, mmm this is less than 10% of passengers and crew but headlines don't say 90% on Diamond were fine. Until people improve their hygiene habits in this enclosed environment it will happen. Every time I cruise I see people touching food in buffet with their hands and after using toilet see them walk straight out without washing hands.

News Media isn't about news anymore, it's about attracting viewers/readers so they can sell add space. Noro on cruise ships is just an easy target for them. They are not going to bother to point out that it happens elsewhere or how many people cruise without getting it, it doesn't help their ad revenue.

There was at least 1 school closed down in Connecticut this past week due to a Noro outbreak. As stated earlier, it is just more sensationalized when it can be reported on a cruise ship.

Astro Flyer, You think your weather forecasters are bad with all the hype? Here in CT, they have been going nuts because of the snow. Well, Duh!!! it is the Northeast and it is winter.:eek::eek:

There was at least 1 school closed down in Connecticut this past week due to a Noro outbreak. As stated earlier, it is just more sensationalized when it can be reported on a cruise ship.

Astro Flyer, You think your weather forecasters are bad with all the hype? Here in CT, they have been going nuts because of the snow. Well, Duh!!! it is the Northeast and it is winter.:eek::eek:

68 here yesterday Joe! Keep the snow there thanks. :p