Auto rental in Italy (Livorno) - license?

StartrainDD

Okay, I've read through a number of threads about Livorno and possible vehicle rentals. As my DW is dealing with some knee issues we are trying to keep walking to a minimum. We are in Livorno on a Monday so all the museums in Florence are closed. We've seen Lucca and Pisa before. Thinking a "Country drive" might be nice to get off the beaten track.

So here is my question - is my Pennsylvania driver's license all I would need or is an international permit required? I can't find any reference on the rental agencies websites. I know we rented a van in Greece last year and the PA license was fine.

Thank you! Arie

Okay, I've read through a number of threads about Livorno and possible vehicle rentals. As my DW is dealing with some knee issues we are trying to keep walking to a minimum. We are in Livorno on a Monday so all the museums in Florence are closed. We've seen Lucca and Pisa before. Thinking a "Country drive" might be nice to get off the beaten track.

So here is my question - is my Pennsylvania driver's license all I would need or is an international permit required? I can't find any reference on the rental agencies websites. I know we rented a van in Greece last year and the PA license was fine.

Thank you! Arie

I've rented in Italy a number of times, and many other places in Europe & my UK licence is always good enough.

I think the International licence is primarily needed for those whose home licence is in different scripts, like in Asia & Russia - effectively it's an authorised translation

JB :)

UK license vs a US license is really apples and oranges, given that Britain is in Europe. That is more like saying you don't need a special license if you live in New York, but going to drive in Arizona.

Have rented many cars in Europe. Have taken an international license each time. Have been told each time by the rental agencies the primary reason for the international license is if you get stopped by cops (which we have), you NEED an international license.

Its $15 at AAA. Not a big deal.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We have rented many times in Italy and the rental car agencies only require a valid credit card and valid US License. However, technically the law in Italy does require that one have an International Drivers Permit (available from any AAA). However, in over thirty years of renting cars in Italy (sometimes for weeks at a time) nobody has ever asked to see this permit. Sometimes we have one and other times we don't. If you do not have one and get stopped by the Police simple shrug and confess your ignorance :).

Hank