FTTF experience

Just back from the Conquest's April 24th - April 30th cruise.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, we purchased FTTF and I offered to give our experience with it. So, here goes:

Check In & Boarding - Arrived at Port Everglades about 10:30 a.m. We were directed to the FTTF line and were seen by a check in agent within 10 minutes. There were 3 weddings on this cruise, and one group was just finishing up with their check in, which delayed us only for a few minutes. Check in took no more than 5 minutes and then we were directed to the cattle, er.... I mean holding area with a bunch of other FTTF'ers.

Boy, what a bunch of sour pusses in this area. There were maybe 20 people already sitting when we got seated in this section. For the most part, it was uneventful, until we had been sitting for about 45 minutes or so. Then we were informed that the coast guard was conducting drills and we would need to patient, as no one was allowed on board until this was over.

Of course, the entire holding area filled up and folks were getting cranky. The problem we had with the whole arrangement, is that people just wouldn't sit down. Folks started doing the "gate creep" walk that is so prevalent when the gate agent is ready to call boarding zones for a flight. You know, the slow shuffle everyone does to get as close to the front of the line as they can without looking like a douche, hoping that nobody will notice their zone 4 boarding pass when they call priority boarding. ;)

Anywhoo, one stoutly individual was getting very vocal (and wouldn't sit down) and insisted he was going to get on John H's FB page and tell him he wasn't having any fun. [insert choice words for this dude here]

Finally, one courageous Carnival employee told everyone to sit down and that when they started boarding, they could call us by rows. Most people got the hint and sat down....finally. But, my wife and I just couldn't believe the amount of belly-aching and whining that some folks go on about. You're on freaking vacation, so just relax. Actually, we just joked among ourselves after doing some people watching that perhaps FTTF really means "Faster to the Food." Not judging, but you'd think some were worried that the buffet was going to run dry if they weren't first in line.

It was like this for both FTTF and traditional boarding. FTTF boarded maybe 5 minutes earlier than everyone else, due to the CG delay.

All in all, I'd give FTTF 1 out of 2 points possible (1 for expedited check in and 0 for boarding).

Guest Services - To me, this paid off. Very rarely every used guest services, but on this cruise, we used them quite a bit. Very nice only waiting a few minutes in line, when the regular line was 10 or more deep. For this, I'd give this 1 out 1 point.

Priority Tendering - Only tendered port was HMC. And with tenders running every 10 - 20 minutes or so, we never experienced any delay or had to flash our FTTF sticker of honor (which is on the back of your S&S card) to get on tender. I'd give this 0 out of 1 point.

Priority Debarkation - This was questionable. We purchased the luggage express option and there was some confusion with what zone we would be in. On the next to the last night of the cruise, we received a letter indicating that we had expedited debarkation and received Zone 2 luggage tags. The next night we received our luggage express package with our boarding passes and Zone 4 luggage tags. Confusing right?

Pay attention! We put the ZONE 4 luggage tags on our checked luggage, but ended up walking off the ship with the self-assist group. When we were in the cluster of a mess that is the line to go through customs, I noticed that there were placards, and subsequent luggage underneath, for every zone EXCEPT ZONE 4. My guess is that ZONE 4 is reserved for LUGGAGE EXPRESS. If this isn't correct, please tell me (and everyone else).

Because we used LUGGAGE EXPRESS, FTTF did not come into play. Therefore, I will give this 0 out of 1 point.

Based on the things we could have used FTTF for, there were 5 total points. We gave FTTF a score of 2 out of the 5 points. So, this may not be worth the extra expense, but will be up to you to decide whether or not to purchase. Will we purchase again....probably not.

Edited by Keys2Heaven

It was like this for both FTTF and traditional boarding. FTTF boarded maybe 5 minutes earlier than everyone else, due to the CG delay.

And that is the way FTTF works ...

The following board before FTTF - Weddings, Diamonds & Platinums, Suites, then FTTF is called then general boarding is called..

General boarding is always called soon after FTTF boarding is announced.

Edited by lizardhowson

We are booked on the Conquest, leaving in three weeks. We too have FTTF. This will be our first time sailing out of Port Everglades. From everything I've read, Embarkation and Debarkation at that port can be a giant p.i.t.a. And it doesn't seem to matter if you have priority boarding or not, based on the complaints I've read. Maybe Carnival should have some complimentary D.O.D.'s to hand out to everybody at the terminal. After everyone's had a few, maybe they wouldn't get so restless waiting to board.;)

Was your room ready when you boarded? My understanding is FTTF users' rooms are ready apon boarding and they won't have to carry their luggage around.

Our room was ready and decorated. We were celebrating our 18th anniversary and everything was in the room except for some cookies and the 12 pack of water I ordered. However, these arrived a bit later in the afternoon. I should probably add a point for having the room ready.

Thanks for the info. We're going to have FTTF for our November cruise, but we couldn't get it for our Alaska one, we booked it pretty late. We travel with other friends for the Nov. one though, and they're a much higher level than us, so they get on much quicker. We would like to be able to get on with them and relax on board too. Not sure how much we'll use the other perks either, but it's nice to know we have them if we need them, like the guest services thing!

Is the FTTF area you mention in the same area as the suite guests? We're cruising with a couple that have FTTF but we have a suite and just wondering if its possible to board together after check in. Thanks.

If I am traveling with kids, I have a little more in the carry ons so I love having access to my room so that I can drop a few things there. Tendering is nice, as is Guest Services. So unless I have tender ports or my kids on a cruise I won't get FTTF.