Another "what night will formal night be" thread

JPH814

Sorry to ask, but it would be so much easier if Seabourn just included the information in the itinerary book we just received.

We are on a 10 day cruise from Montreal to Boston beginning September 11. I am trying to decide what night to make a reservation for the Grill, but I want to avoid Formal night. (The main dining room is already special that night.)

Seabourn tells me there will be one formal night. I know it is typically the second night on board. But that would be the night of the "overnight" in Quebec City so I would doubt they would have it then.

I am guessing day three - the evening we leave Quebec City at 6 PM.

Make sense?

Sorry to ask, but it would be so much easier if Seabourn just included the information in the itinerary book we just received.

We are on a 10 day cruise from Montreal to Boston beginning September 11. I am trying to decide what night to make a reservation for the Grill, but I want to avoid Formal night. (The main dining room is already special that night.)

Seabourn tells me there will be one formal night. I know it is typically the second night on board. But that would be the night of the "overnight" in Quebec City so I would doubt they would have it then.

Make sense?

Usually the first "At Sea" day, which in your case, is Sunday September 18.:)

Usually the first "At Sea" day, which in your case, is Sunday September 18.:)

Why do I find that hard to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by JPH814

Why do I find that hard to believe.

If I'm wrong I'll buy you a drink in The Club that night, say 6.30pm ? 😜

On last month's cruise, the booklet said we would have 2 formal nights. When we got on, we were told there would be 3. A number of the ladies were rather perturbed, as they had planned only 2 nicer outfits. I had a third fancy dress, but by the time we were into week 3, outfit #3 did not quite look like it had when I put it together at home before the trip. I'm sure some of the ladies on this thread can relate...

Edited by whystayhome
Mi

On last month's cruise, the booklet said we would have 2 formal nights. When we got on, we were told there would be 3. A number of the ladies were rather perturbed, as they had planned only 2 nicer outfits. I had a third fancy dress, but by the time we were into week 3, outfit #3 did not quite look like it had when I put it together at home before the trip. I'm sure some of the ladies on this thread can relate...

I can relate, and it's happened to us on at least two of our SB cruises. I take specific outfits for formal night, planned per how many we're supposed to have. And there is something about the sea air that makes one's clothes not fit quite so well after a couple of weeks onboard SB ;)

We're on the Montreal to Fort Lauderdale cruise and I've been pondering the formal night subject in relation to booking The Grill as we like to be in the MDR for formal night.

We also have an overnight in Quebec City, so we'll dine in the city that night but the next day is at sea 'cruising the St Lawrence'. So, I'm thinking that may be our formal night.

If anyone has done our itinerary and can let me know, I'd be grateful.

If I'm wrong I'll buy you a drink in The Club that night, say 6.30pm ?

Are you booked on that cruise? If so, I will take that bet. (especially since the drinks are included) :)

I just can't imagine having the only formal night on the eighth night of a ten day cruise.

And to hedge my bet, I am going to avoid both Wednesday the 14th and Sunday the 18th. Frankly, I often enjoy going to specialty restaurants the first night on board. The main dining room is often a bit hectic and disorganized that evening.

Edited by JPH814

We're on the Montreal to Fort Lauderdale cruise and I've been pondering the formal night subject in relation to booking The Grill as we like to be in the MDR for formal night.

We also have an overnight in Quebec City, so we'll dine in the city that night but the next day is at sea 'cruising the St Lawrence'. So, I'm thinking that may be our formal night.

I would imagine that the evening of "cruising the St Lawrence" would be a natural for the formal night. Our itinerary does not have a "sea" day until much later in the cruise.

I would imagine that the evening of "cruising the St Lawrence" would be a natural for the formal night. Our itinerary does not have a "sea" day until much later in the cruise.

I think you're probably right.

You have Saguenay and Gaspe ports on your itinerary I believe? We don't, which is a pity.

Totally... I've had that happen too. I now always bring one nice black dress for a regular evening that could be dressed up a bit for formal night if need be! It's a good insurance policy just in case!

Make sense?

Booklet for our previous cruises always had that information. One for upcoming med cruise (no sea days) does not specify. I don't especially care (travel light, LBD is fine, WS will bring a tie if I insist), but thought it was interesting that it's no longer featured.

We did it last year and it was not Saguenay. We were on deck (Colonnade) that night and it was spectacular. The sunset was worth seeing. We were in the MDR for formal night which was Charlottetown.

Edit : I just looked up my photos and the photos of us in our formal attire was Gaspe. The date on my photos is out by one day (time zone difference) which confused me.

Edited by ab21au

In my experience of 14-day sailings on Seabourn, there are usually two formal nights: the second night (Captain's reception) and next to last night (Captain's farewell). Also, although not noted in brochures, is the reception for past cruisers, which could be any evening.

Having said all that, everything is subject to change and itinerary and Neptune's last-minute plans. Relax, bring cocktail-y clothes and enjoy the ambiance. Captains on Seabourn are the line's best ambassadors who love both their guests and their crews!

Well - i solved the problem. I booked the grill for the very first night. In montreal. We have done this before and loved it. Pretty sure this won't be a formal night. We have found the MDR to be somewhat disorganized and hectic first night.

Edited by JPH814

Well - i solved the problem. I booked the grill for the very first night. In montreal. We have done this before and loved it. Pretty sure this won't be a formal night. We have found the MDR to be somewhat disorganized and hectic first night.

Good thinking😜 we booked the Grill for our second night onboard, our first sea day out of Dover.

I'll still honour 👍my bet, I'll be the guy in the jacket on the port side settee in The Club at 6.30 pm😀

• 3 months later...