Cape Liberty, New Jersey Airport

trbarton

I'm planning a cruise from Cape Liberty, New Jersey and I understand that the Newark Liberty Airport is the one to fly into. If one stays in Cape Liberty, New Jersey is there inexpensive transit options to get into New York City? Is there things to do in Cape Liberty, New Jersey? Do any hotels offer transportation from the airport and to the cruise terminal?

Thanks!

Tom:)

I'm planning a cruise from Cape Liberty, New Jersey and I understand that the Newark Liberty Airport is the one to fly into. If one stays in Cape Liberty, New Jersey is there inexpensive transit options to get into New York City? Is there things to do in Cape Liberty, New Jersey? Do any hotels offer transportation from the airport and to the cruise terminal?

Thanks!

Welcome to NJ.

First..Cape Liberty is not a town, just the name of the port.

The port is in a town called Bayonne. There are hotels that will offer airport shuttle service, but I do not know since I never use them!

NJ Transit is the public transportation and options can be found below:

http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

IMHO, there is nothing of interest in the Newark/Bayonne area. It is highly industrialized and bleak. The train to Manhattan is easy to take. I would advise finding a hotel that has free transport to Newark airport so you can take advantage if that. I have yet to find a hotel that offers both free airport and cruise ship transfers. Maybe someone on CC has found one and will chime in.

Thanks!

The Newark Airport area (Newark and Elizabeth) and Bayonne are highly urban industrialized areas. They are not vacation destinations and there is little to do other than go into NYC. You MUST be selective about where you choose to stay. A cheap hotel at the airport is just that - a cheap hotel.

Could you provide more details about what you're considering? Hotel budget? Number of people? Exact dates? Sightseeing objectives in NYC?

All the airport hotels offer a hotel shuttle. A few hotels offer a Cruiseport shuttle, but they charge extra for it in their room rate. Newark is very much a DIY airport. Most folks book a car service to get to the port ($55-65).

The train from Newark Airport to New York Penn Station is $12.50/pp each way. The Train and PATH to the World Trade Center is $11/pp . However if you book a hotel in downtown Newark like the Newark Penn Station Hilton or the Robert Treat, you will pay $5 on the train to midtown and $2.75 to downtown World Trade. You can also get to the port by PATH and light rail from downtown Newark for $4.85/pp plus a local Bayonne cab fare of $10-12.

Another strategy for doing NYC is to book a Jersey City hotel in the Newport area for access to PATH. However you do have to pay about $55 to get there from the airport. The light rail runs right near the Newport hotels, so it's only $2.10 + cab to get to the port.

Lots of options and strategies to consider.

Thanks for everyone's reply's. After reading the responses I would like to stay in Manhattan and travel to either the Newark Airport and take the shuttle to the cruise terminal or depending on the cost take private transportation directly to the cruise terminal. iI was mentioned that you could take the train from Newark Airport to New York Penn Station is $12.50/pp each way. So for $25 for 2 people could I get a taxi to the cruise terminal for less than $25?

What is the station for the NJ airport for the train schedule?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Thanks for everyone's reply's. After reading the responses I would like to stay in Manhattan and travel to either the Newark Airport and take the shuttle to the cruise terminal or depending on the cost take private transportation directly to the cruise terminal. iI was mentioned that you could take the train from Newark Airport to New York Penn Station is $12.50/pp each way. So for $25 for 2 people could I get a taxi to the cruise terminal for less than $25?

Newark Airport Rail Station is the state on the schedule.

As far as a taxi to the cruise port from NY for under $25.... I doubt it, but I have no personal knowledge of the costs.

You can't get a taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal for $25.

Staying in Manhattan and traveling to Cape Liberty is an entirely different question. In a previous post you asked about staying in the Newark airport area and we answered that question.

First of all you need to look at the maps to get an understanding of how the NJ Transit train and PATH and the Hudson-Bergen light rail interact.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

To get to a midtown Manhattan hotel, you take the NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station for $12.50 or the airport bus to Port Authority for $16. Post back if you are staying downtown.

To get to Cape Liberty from midtown Manhattan, you take a cab to the accessible PATH entrance next to JC Penneys on 6th Ave between 32nd and 33rd St. Take the elevator down to the station and buy a ticket for $2.75. On a weekday, take the Hoboken train. On a weekend all trains will go to Hoboken.

At Hoboken Station take the elevator up to the street/station level. The light rail is on the far left of the train tracks. Buy a ticket from the machine for $2.10 and get on a Bayonne train to ride to 34th St. Call a cab to pick you up, preferably on Ave E so you don't have to schlep luggage via elevator up and over the tracks.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

So basically you can easily get from midtown Manhattan to Cape Liberty for a cab fare to PATH, $4.85/pp, plus cab into the port of $10-12(flat fee for the cab). I have personally done this particular trip with luggage as well as other variations from Newark Penn Station and World Trade Center. I have also taken cruise luggage on Amtrak, on the MetroNorth train through Grand Central Station, on PATH through World Trade Center,and on the NY subway.

The trip to Cape Liberty is by far and away the easiest on PATH and light rail from 33rd St in Manhattan or Newark Penn Station. I do not advise taking luggage on the NYC subway. After 9 am the trains and light rail are empty, so getting a seat is easy. The transfer is also easy with elevator access and minimal walking with luggage. Hoboken Station is interesting - it is a historic landmark and the views of NYC and the Hudson River are spectacular.

It takes less than an hour to go from 33rd St to Bayonne. You have to allow extra time for a cab to PATH and a cab into the port. The light rail ride is on surface streets and rights of way.

You can't get a taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal for $25.

Staying in Manhattan and traveling to Cape Liberty is an entirely different question. In a previous post you asked about staying in the Newark airport area and we answered that question.

First of all you need to look at the maps to get an understanding of how the NJ Transit train and PATH and the Hudson-Bergen light rail interact.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

To get to a midtown Manhattan hotel, you take the NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station for $12.50 or the airport bus to Port Authority for $16. Post back if you are staying downtown.

To get to Cape Liberty from midtown Manhattan, you take a cab to the accessible PATH entrance next to JC Penneys on 6th Ave between 32nd and 33rd St. Take the elevator down to the station and buy a ticket for $2.75. On a weekday, take the Hoboken train. On a weekend all trains will go to Hoboken.

At Hoboken Station take the elevator up to the street/station level. The light rail is on the far left of the train tracks. Buy a ticket from the machine for $2.10 and get on a Bayonne train to ride to 34th St. Call a cab to pick you up, preferably on Ave E so you don't have to schlep luggage via elevator up and over the tracks.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

So basically you can easily get from midtown Manhattan to Cape Liberty for a cab fare to PATH, $4.85/pp, plus cab into the port of $10-12(flat fee for the cab). I have personally done this particular trip with luggage as well as other variations from Newark Penn Station and World Trade Center. I have also taken cruise luggage on Amtrak, on the MetroNorth train through Grand Central Station, on PATH through World Trade Center,and on the NY subway.

The trip to Cape Liberty is by far and away the easiest on PATH and light rail from 33rd St in Manhattan or Newark Penn Station. I do not advise taking luggage on the NYC subway. After 9 am the trains and light rail are empty, so getting a seat is easy. The transfer is also easy with elevator access and minimal walking with luggage. Hoboken Station is interesting - it is a historic landmark and the views of NYC and the Hudson River are spectacular.

It takes less than an hour to go from 33rd St to Bayonne. You have to allow extra time for a cab to PATH and a cab into the port. The light rail ride is on surface streets and rights of way.

Thank you very much for your help and information.

Yes I originally asked about staying in the Newark Airport area and from the reply's that I received staying in that area did not seem like a good choice. Thus my questions about staying in Manhattan and getting to the cruise terminal.

My plan is to stay in the Times Square area near the theatre district and travel from there. I've stayed in the Times Square area many times so I'm familiar with that area.

I'll plan my trip with your suggestions.

How much time would you allow on a weekend morning to get from Manhattan to the cruise terminal?

Thanks again!