Closest ruins to port

Peace2U

We will be in Cozumel in March and we want to see ruins but the trips seem like they last all day in the sun. I get sunburned very easily, so I was wondering which ones are the shortest and/or ones with some shade. I know this might be asking a lot. :rolleyes:

There are some small ruins on Cozumel -- the San Gervasio ruins are not worth the time IMHO, but you can taxi there, see the ruins and be on your way in about an hour.

If you go to see Tulum, Coba or other ruins on the mainland you will take a ferry to Playa del Carmen (about 45 min) followed by a bus tour to the ruins (1-2 hours depending upon destination) and then you will spend time touring the ruins and reverse your trip back to the ship.

I would save touring ruins on the mainland for a time when you have a mainland port visit or a vacation to PDC or Cancun. Your call. :)

If you go to see Tulum, Coba or other ruins on the mainland you will take a ferry to Playa del Carmen (about 45 min) followed by a bus tour to the ruins (1-2 hours depending upon destination) and then you will spend time touring the ruins and reverse your trip back to the ship.

I would save touring ruins on the mainland for a time when you have a mainland port visit or a vacation to PDC or Cancun. Your call. :)

Okay, thanks!

There are some small ruins on Cozumel -- the San Gervasio ruins are not worth the time IMHO, but you can taxi there, see the ruins and be on your way in about an hour.

I agree, San Gervasio ruins aren't worth your time. Trips to Tulum or Coba will be by ferry and bus however when you get to either site there isn't much shade. I burn easily too but with good sunscreen and a hat I'm fine. Coba, like Altun Ha or Chichen Itza is more of the "traditional" site being inland and with a "castillo" and wide plazas. Tulum is on water and has a more laid-back feel. Personally I'd recommend Tulum but Coba is interesting as well. If, however, you can get to Chichen Itza then do that. A spectacular site to see.

Tulum is on water and has a more laid-back feel. Personally I'd recommend Tulum but Coba is interesting as well. If, however, you can get to Chichen Itza then do that. A spectacular site to see.

I like seeing beaches, so maybe Tulum would be a good choice. Thanks!

I agree, San Gervasio ruins aren't worth your time. Trips to Tulum or Coba will be by ferry and bus however when you get to either site there isn't much shade. I burn easily too but with good sunscreen and a hat I'm fine. Coba, like Altun Ha or Chichen Itza is more of the "traditional" site being inland and with a "castillo" and wide plazas. Tulum is on water and has a more laid-back feel. Personally I'd recommend Tulum but Coba is interesting as well. If, however, you can get to Chichen Itza then do that. A spectacular site to see.

Disagree with this one regarding Coba.

Much of Coba is amongst the trees. We were there in the month of March and while we had sunscreen, did not at all feel like we were 'out in the sun' during our visit. I think the ONLY time we were not protected by some shade was at the large pyramid that can still be climbed...that was not protected.

Disclaimer...have not been to Tulum. All I know is what I've read and seen in pictures...that those ruins ARE pretty much out in the open sun, and you cannot climb on anything there.

To each his or her own of course but . . .

I don't regard visiting the San Gervasio ruins as a waste of time. SG doesn't sit on the edge of a cliff overlooking the ocean like Tulum nor is it as large. SG doesn't have the magnificent structures of Coba. San Gervasio has it's own qualities though and they should not be dismissed lightly. There's the added feature of being able to visit the ruins on Coz and then finishing out one's day at a beach if one happens to be limited to one day on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by smokinmike

Disagree with this one regarding Coba.

Much of Coba is amongst the trees. We were there in the month of March and while we had sunscreen, did not at all feel like we were 'out in the sun' during our visit. I think the ONLY time we were not protected by some shade was at the large pyramid that can still be climbed...that was not protected.

Disclaimer...have not been to Tulum. All I know is what I've read and seen in pictures...that those ruins ARE pretty much out in the open sun, and you cannot climb on anything there.

Something to like about both. I like the shade of Coba but the option of seeing a beach at Tulum. Hmm.

To each his or her own of course but . . .

I don't regard visiting the San Gervasio ruins as a waste of time. SG doesn't sit on the edge of a cliff overlooking the ocean like Tulum nor is it as large. SG doesn't have the magnificent structures of Coba. San Gervasio has it's own qualities though and they should not be dismissed lightly. There's the added feature of being able to visit the ruins on Coz and then finishing out one's day at a beach if one happens to be limited to one day on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree completely.

While San Gervasio certainly isn't in the "must-do" category it is certainly interesting in its own way and can be combined with other activities on Cozumel, especially if it is a first time visit - chocolate factory, tequila tasting, authentic Mexican lunch, downtown shopping, island tour - all out of the sun activities.

I would save a visit to the ruins for a mainland vacation, or a stop at Progreso or Belize.