Question About Excursions

ShotsnCruises

I have been reading about the numerous offered excursions available on my upcoming Caribbean cruise. Many of the water based tours have this caveat about guests who have consumed alcoholic beverages will not be allowed to enter the water. Is this strictly enforced or does it vary by the tour operator. Mostly, I like to book independent tours, but since this is the first time with Silversea, I am considering ship based tours, especially to ports I have not yet ventured.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been reading about the numerous offered excursions available on my upcoming Caribbean cruise. Many of the water based tours have this caveat about guests who have consumed alcoholic beverages will not be allowed to enter the water. Is this strictly enforced or does it vary by the tour operator. Mostly, I like to book independent tours, but since this is the first time with Silversea, I am considering ship based tours, especially to ports I have not yet ventured.

For our "neighbor" to the north in Michigan, we did a number of Silversea port excursions when visiting certain of the ten Caribbean islands that we visited last year during our Amazon River trip. On my live/blog below, I detail all of those shore/port activities. Overall, things worked fine!!

Clearly, much depends on the specific island/location and what you are seeking to see, do and experience. An added ship staffer traveled with us during the excursion to keep an eye on "things" and the providers did a generally good job. Are all ship tours perfect and always the best? Not always so, but there is a convenience provided by booking through the ship and pricing was good enough in most cases for our needs. It's been our experience that most excursions with Silversea are not over-crowded and it is operated smoothly and in an efficient manner.

What specific islands are you visiting and types of activities are you seeking? Happy to share more on the locations we visited, what we did, etc. Also ask the staff about the pro/con factors for excursions you are considering, tell them what you seek, etc. The excursion staff seemed good and knowledgeable about those details from our sailing experience.

On the alcohol limits, I think that is "Safety 101" basics of not wanting drunk passengers out there in the water doing things too risky to themselves and others. I doubt that having a drink earlier in the day is going to be a major problem.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 44,341 views for these postings.

• 2 weeks later...

It stands to reason if your tour involves diving, snorkelling and other water based activities or any driving quads and alike that you wouldn't want to be under the influence. You appear to be asking "could you get away with it"? I guess if you are obviously not staggering or slurred speech you could get away with it. But really.... why would you want to?

I know on my dives next March in the Caribbean I will be completely sober.

Edited by les37b

It stands to reason if your tour involves diving, snorkelling and other water based activities or any driving quads and alike that you wouldn't want to be under the influence. You appear to be asking "could you get away with it"? I guess if you are obviously not staggering or slurred speech you could get away with it. But really.... why would you want to?

I know on my dives next March in the Caribbean I will be completely sober.

Not trying to "get away with anything." The reason I ask is because sometimes there are several snorkel stops and sometimes beverages are served in between. No desire to be unsafe, but there is a big difference between having had one drink and being sloshed trying to snorkel! I have booked several private excursions where alcohol is served freely all day and there was never anyone being unsafe. I have also had excursions where alcohol was not served until the end on the sail back to the ship. Cruise sponsored excursions tend to be more strict overall, that is why I was asking.